no fat16 drive

Post by Charles Dy » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:09:15

Quote:>i'm booting a win2k machine with msdos6.22 boot floppy (with basic netbeui
>redirector) and it does not show the win2k c: drive that is 100% fat16
>formated and exactly 1gb in size. without this floppy machine works fine.

>why?

Probably because it's using one of the newer LBA-enabled partition
types, 0Eh or 0Fh instead of 06h or 05h.  Pre-Win95 versions of DOS
don't recognize these partition types.  If this is the problem, an
MS-DOS 7.x boot floppy should be able to handle them correctly.

--

no fat16 drive

Post by fleks » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:21:09

is there any way to do it using 6.22? i've got this network boot floppy all
intermingled with dos 6.22 files and would hate to go through another
session of creating a copy plus i don't even know if workgroup connection
works with 7.x

i even tried loading drfat32 but with no end results.

is there a driver (even commercial) that can pull this off?

thanks again

> >i'm booting a win2k machine with msdos6.22 boot floppy (with basic
netbeui
> >redirector) and it does not show the win2k c: drive that is 100% fat16
> >formated and exactly 1gb in size. without this floppy machine works fine.

> >why?

> Probably because it's using one of the newer LBA-enabled partition
> types, 0Eh or 0Fh instead of 06h or 05h.  Pre-Win95 versions of DOS
> don't recognize these partition types.  If this is the problem, an
> MS-DOS 7.x boot floppy should be able to handle them correctly.

> --

no fat16 drive

Post by Ted Davi » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 01:12:50

Quote:>is there any way to do it using 6.22? i've got this network boot floppy all
>intermingled with dos 6.22 files and would hate to go through another
>session of creating a copy plus i don't even know if workgroup connection
>works with 7.x

Give it up - use Win98 for the boot disks, except for those that need
to access the contents of NTFS drives - there is a Linux boot disk for
that.

Replace as many as possible of the version specific Microsoft
utilities with latest versions of third-party utilities so yo can just
copy them to any DOS boot disk and expect them to work.  The MS
network drivers are not versions specific - no changes are needed when
moving from one OS version to another.

My approach is to prepare the contents of the floppy on my workstation
as a directory containing the files, one of which is a ZIP file with
most of the stuff needed to get the network going in it - one
directory for each type network interface card we use.  Then I copy
the files to a bootable disk and make an image of the disk on another
machine (one with an older, more generally compatible, floppy drive),
and generate copies as needed.  Once booted, the system runs from a
RAMDRIVE, so the boot floppy can be removed.

no fat16 drive

Post by fleks » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 03:18:03

ok, now the only problem is locating 7.x files which takes me back to the
beginning of the whole mess because the only win98
i currently have is stored on a shared drive as a ghost image in the virtual
w2k machine on a seemingly invisible fat16 drive

?

> >is there any way to do it using 6.22? i've got this network boot floppy
all
> >intermingled with dos 6.22 files and would hate to go through another
> >session of creating a copy plus i don't even know if workgroup connection
> >works with 7.x

> Give it up - use Win98 for the boot disks, except for those that need
> to access the contents of NTFS drives - there is a Linux boot disk for
> that.

> Replace as many as possible of the version specific Microsoft
> utilities with latest versions of third-party utilities so yo can just
> copy them to any DOS boot disk and expect them to work.  The MS
> network drivers are not versions specific - no changes are needed when
> moving from one OS version to another.

> My approach is to prepare the contents of the floppy on my workstation
> as a directory containing the files, one of which is a ZIP file with
> most of the stuff needed to get the network going in it - one
> directory for each type network interface card we use.  Then I copy
> the files to a bootable disk and make an image of the disk on another
> machine (one with an older, more generally compatible, floppy drive),
> and generate copies as needed.  Once booted, the system runs from a
> RAMDRIVE, so the boot floppy can be removed.

.sig in the body)

no fat16 drive

Quote:>ok, now the only problem is locating 7.x files which takes me back to the

http://www.bootdisk.com  might be a good place to start.

Post by Ted Davi » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 09:55:50

Quote:>ok, now the only problem is locating 7.x files which takes me back to the
>beginning of the whole mess because the only win98
>i currently have is stored on a shared drive as a ghost image in the virtual
>w2k machine on a seemingly invisible fat16 drive

You need to know about Bart's Boot Disks and Modboot:
<www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/modboot/> - if memory serves, the downloaded
image is Win98 bootable, you  just need a Win98 license, which you
seem to have.

1. Can a FAT16 & FAT32 partition co-exist on a hard drive........or?

Hello, all

This issue has likely been discussed here before, but the responses
and/or local guru's advice remain confusing. My "legacy" 386DX-40/DOS
6.22/Win 3.1 is being forced into retirement, but I would like to
retain and use certain favorite programs for use in a new Win 9x
machine. So, my questions are:

1) Can I have a FAT16 *and* a FAT32 partition on the same hard drive?
The general consensus seems to be "no."

2) Can I use my old hard drive (FAT16) as a slave to a master drive
(FAT32)? If so, what kind of CONFIG.SYS file or multiple boot method
is needed?

3) One advisor has stated that I should have a removable hard drive
set-up and exchange the two as desired. Again, would a specialized
CONFIG.SYS file be needed and/or a multiple boot process? Here,
perhaps different boot disks might work (?).

TIA

Hal

2. CfP: WETICE'97 Workshop on Collaborative Agents in Distributed Web Applications

3. 2nd RFD: comp.os.nos.lanman

4. Need help for making sendmail output mails with correct domain name

5. Changing serial nos of floppys

6. Where is the Rules Wizard on MS.COM?

7. Running Ethernet without a nos? How?

8. Schematic needed OLD equipment

9. Any one tried KA9Q TCP/IP NOS ?

10. Net/NOS Systems

11. Artprice : join our Affiliates - rejoignez nos Affilies

12. Swap CDROM drive letter with a hard-drive partition drive letter

13. Merging two FAT16 partitions