Creating Win32 excutable files (PE format)

Creating Win32 excutable files (PE format)

Post by Siddiqu » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00



Are there any tools for djgpp so that I can create Win32 excutable files (PE
format)? It doesn't matter if it still only runs in a console window, but as
long as it can access the systems DLL (like DX or GL).

Thanx 4 any help :)

 
 
 

Creating Win32 excutable files (PE format)

Post by Allen » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00



> Are there any tools for djgpp so that I can create Win32 excutable files (PE
> format)? It doesn't matter if it still only runs in a console window, but as
> long as it can access the systems DLL (like DX or GL).

> Thanx 4 any help :)

There is rsxntdj, but it doesn't work with djgpp 2.8.1, without some
really complicated instructions.  Even then you can only compile c code,
so you might as well go and download lcc-win32.

                Peter Allen

 
 
 

Creating Win32 excutable files (PE format)

Post by Mark » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00




>> Are there any tools for djgpp so that I can create Win32 excutable files (PE
>> format)? It doesn't matter if it still only runs in a console window, but as
>> long as it can access the systems DLL (like DX or GL).

My personal wish is for one GCC port that can produce exes for win32
console & win32 gui like mingw32 does, and dos32 exes like DJGPP produces
with the addition of win32 api emulation for DOS32 like the dos extender
WDOSX provides in its stub maker. Unfortunalely, without the demand, I
doubt such a thing will happen...

Mark
--

http://members.xoom.com/snowball3/

 
 
 

Creating Win32 excutable files (PE format)

Post by Thomas Hart » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00


Quote:> There is rsxntdj, but it doesn't work with djgpp 2.8.1, without some
> really complicated instructions.  Even then you can only compile c code,
> so you might as well go and download lcc-win32.

        Just to say, since it seems important here than lcc-win32 only does
regular C as well.

                -Thomas

 
 
 

Creating Win32 excutable files (PE format)

Post by Eli Zaretski » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00



> Unfortunalely, without the demand, I doubt such a thing will
> happen...

Demand isn't the problem.  The lack of motivated volunteers who would
sit down and make this happen--that's the problem.
 
 
 

Creating Win32 excutable files (PE format)

Post by Allen » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00





> >> Are there any tools for djgpp so that I can create Win32 excutable files (PE
> >> format)? It doesn't matter if it still only runs in a console window, but as
> >> long as it can access the systems DLL (like DX or GL).

> My personal wish is for one GCC port that can produce exes for win32
> console & win32 gui like mingw32 does, and dos32 exes like DJGPP produces
> with the addition of win32 api emulation for DOS32 like the dos extender
> WDOSX provides in its stub maker. Unfortunalely, without the demand, I
> doubt such a thing will happen...

> Mark
> --

> http://members.xoom.com/snowball3/

Theres plenty of demand, but not enough people helping make it work.  
Anybody want to help me???

                Peter Allen

 
 
 

Creating Win32 excutable files (PE format)

Post by istu25.. » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00



>> There is rsxntdj, but it doesn't work with djgpp 2.8.1, without some
>> really complicated instructions.  Even then you can only compile c code,
>> so you might as well go and download lcc-win32.

>    Just to say, since it seems important here than lcc-win32 only does
> regular C as well.

>            -Thomas

how about this?
The GNU-Win32 Project
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/download.html
 
 
 

Creating Win32 excutable files (PE format)

Post by Allen » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00


Quote:> how about this?
> The GNU-Win32 Project
> http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/
> http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/download.html

The trouble with this is:
a) It is mainly for converting unix apps.
b) You have to download the whole of the gnu project (10mb+)
c) You can't use it and djgpp becuase they all have the same names

Other wise, it is reasnable, and I have used it a bit.

                Peter Allen

 
 
 

Creating Win32 excutable files (PE format)

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00



> Theres plenty of demand, but not enough people helping make it work.
> Anybody want to help me???

That sounds pretty complicated.  I guess the first place to start is finding some
books that discuss the win32 exe (header etc.) format as well as Win32 architecture.
It would also be good if a separate team could develop an IDE with loads of
documentation on Win32 API (just like in the Borland help files).  This could be hard
as well.

Any good books on Win32 header format?

Donn

 
 
 

1. PE executable format

Hmm... PE is also COFF, that's true, but ELF support should not be that hard
to achieve in DJGPP. The GCC compiler under Linux uses two targets - a.out and
ELF. All this is achieved through the BFD library which allows you to output
any of its supported formats using the same set of functions. Sure, there are
things specific for each of them, but 90% is the same. ELF support, IMHO,
would require *less* work than PE. For PE we'd have to write code to output M$
COFF format, a linker for it and a loader. Besides I'm not sure whether it
would be supported by FSF - the change would touch DJGPP only and since it is
based on Unix gcc, it should follow its development - adding anything specific
for DJGPP to gcc may mean a need to re-implement it with every gcc change.
With ELF we'd only have to add a new target to DJGPP and write a loader.
Adding new target is just a matter of enabling the new format support in BFD
and recompiling the compiler. Examples of how to do that can be taken from the
Linux port of GCC.

 >
I've taken a look at it and, yes, it looks great. But yet it is not a standard
and I'd really love to see ELF support in DJGPP

P.S. I took liberty to cross-post this message to c.o.m.d as I think it may
interest many users of DJGPP.

2. Can you break the 480K screensize barrier?

3. New EXE header-formats (NE/PE/LE/LX) - Detailled Description needed !!

4. Wanted: Help with 'ON DUPLICATE KEY' syntax

5. Creating SYS Files (need format of SYS files)

6. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 6813060008

7. Can GCC create PC-format MAP files?

8. Uploading & Downloading Question.

9. Creating win32 apps ?

10. Win32 coff format

11. Information about win32 o. coff format

12. DJGPP and LCC-Win32 for Win32 C++? Possible?