Running DJGPP from a CD-ROM-drive

Post by Alex Gevatte » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi DJGPP-Gurus!

Is it possible to run the GCC-Compiler from a CD-ROM-drive (without
any installation on harddisk)?
I tried this and had also set PATH and DJGPP in the AUTOEXEC.BAT to the
corresponding path on the CD-ROM-drive, but GCC hangs up. Why is this
so? Does it want to write something in the DJGPP/TMP-directory?
Thank you very much for your help.

Regards, Alex.

  alex.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by broe.. » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
> --------------20BAD79E5741212553E6569B

[vcard at the end]

Please don't do this. Switch of that 'vcard' nonsense and save some
bandwidth.

Quote:> Is it possible to run the GCC-Compiler from a CD-ROM-drive (without
> any installation on harddisk)?

I think so. Haven't tried it, but there's no reason for it not to
work, either.

Quote:> I tried this and had also set PATH and DJGPP in the AUTOEXEC.BAT to the
> corresponding path on the CD-ROM-drive, but GCC hangs up. Why is this
> so? Does it want to write something in the DJGPP/TMP-directory?

If you have neither edited the distributed DJGPP.ENV, nor set the
environment variable 'TMPDIR': yes. And that may well be your problem.
Point 'TMPDIR' to an existing directory (c:\temp, e.g.). For a beginning,
you may just

        set TMPDIR=%TEMP%

as TEMP is set in all partly modern Windows machines, already.