Autoexec.bat, config.sys setup...HELP

Post by Richard T. Breeze l » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I just bought an IBM thinkPad 775C and it came with Win 95 installed. It
only has 450+ mg HD and I think that is stretching it's capabilities a
little. Besides, I like Win 3.1 better. The problem is I don't know how to
remove Win 95 and then get DOS 6.22 on wqith the right autoexec.bat and
config.sys setup. I would assume I would start by formatting the HD, but
THEN WHAT??? Could someone out there lead me through this one time? I don't
have a sound card or CD rom, it has an active matrix screen and 16 meg of
ram. I don't have now, but will have a PMCIA card 28.8 modem. Anyone know
what I need to do?
Thank you very much,
R. Thomas Breeze

Autoexec.bat, config.sys setup...HELP

Post by Thorsten Matzn » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I just bought an IBM thinkPad 775C and it came with Win 95 installed. It
>only has 450+ mg HD and I think that is stretching it's capabilities a
>little. Besides, I like Win 3.1 better. The problem is I don't know how to
>remove Win 95 and then get DOS 6.22 on wqith the right autoexec.bat and
>config.sys setup. I would assume I would start by formatting the HD, but
>THEN WHAT???

It is not necessary to format the drive unless Windows 95 B with the
FAT32 file system is installed. To change to Windows v3.x you need the
MS-DOS and the Windows installation disks. Then
1. Rename the AUTOEXEC.BAT and the CONFIG.SYS to *.OLD. Insert the
first MS-DOS installation disk and reboot the system. The MS-DOS setup
will start and let you install this OS. This will eliminate the
Windows 95 boot sector from the HDD.
2. When MS-DOS is set up, insert the first Windows installation disk
and run SETUP.EXE to install Windows.
3. During those processes new AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files have
been created. You may adjust them where it is necessary. Before doing
that you may install third-party drivers needed for your new
environment (mouse, cache, video, etc.). If you have questions about
how to optimize those files, come back.

Quote:>I don't
>have a sound card or CD rom, it has an active matrix screen and 16 meg of
>ram. I don't have now, but will have a PMCIA card 28.8 modem.

So you do not need to install a sound driver, but will have to install
a driver for the PCMCIA drive. Before installing MS-DOS make sure,
that you have such a driver for MS-DOS/Windows v3.x. If not, ask the
seller or the manufacturer of that computer for such a driver. For
informations about how to install, read the manual for the device.
(tm)

Post by Chris » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I just bought an IBM thinkPad 775C and it came with Win 95 installed. It
>only has 450+ mg HD and I think that is stretching it's capabilities a
>little. Besides, I like Win 3.1 better. The problem is I don't know how to
>remove Win 95 and then get DOS 6.22 on wqith the right autoexec.bat and
>config.sys setup. I would assume I would start by formatting the HD, but
>THEN WHAT??? Could someone out there lead me through this one time? I don't
>have a sound card or CD rom, it has an active matrix screen and 16 meg of
>ram. I don't have now, but will have a PMCIA card 28.8 modem. Anyone know
>what I need to do?
>Thank you very much,
>R. Thomas Breeze

personally I would format the drive and start from scratch.

make a bootable disc from DOS 6.22 and copy the files FDISK, FORMAT
and SYS.COM onto it.

Trash your drive and boot from the dos disk. After reformatting copy
the system files across from the boot disk with the command SYS C: (if
C:is your drive letter.

Then reboot from C: and stick the first Win3.11 disk in and run SETUP.

Dont make the boot disk from WIN95 DOS as DOS 7 is probably
incompatible and Win95 B  is definately not happy with DOS 6.22.

regards

       Chris D

When replying please delete the "!" from my address

Autoexec.bat, config.sys setup...HELP

Post by WALKER B » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

 RTBL> I just bought an IBM thinkPad 775C and it came with Win 95 installed.
 RTBL> It only has 450+ mg HD and I think that is stretching it's capabilities
 RTBL> a little. Besides, I like Win 3.1 better. The problem is I don't know
 RTBL> how to remove Win 95 and then get DOS 6.22 on wqith the right
 RTBL> autoexec.bat and config.sys setup. I would assume I would start by
 RTBL> formatting the HD, but THEN WHAT??? Could someone out there lead me
 RTBL> through this one time? I don't have a sound card or CD rom, it has an
 RTBL> active matrix screen and 16 meg of ram. I don't have now, but will have
 RTBL> a PMCIA card 28.8 modem. Anyone know what I need to do?

You should be able to install DOS from the floppy, assuming its a legit
release and you have a floppy drive. You didn't say, but those are reasonable
assumptions.

I've always installed DOS by hand myself, but the INSTALL and SETUP programs
that should be on the disk should do it. The standard AUTOEXEC.BAT and
CONFIG.SYS should do it for you, since you have no "toys" and HIMEM doesn't
need special switches until you get over 16 megs of ram. When you het the
modem, it should come with a disk and instructiions.

... ...but this time *you* put the trousers on the chimp.
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

Autoexec.bat, config.sys setup...HELP

Post by James Hal » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>  RTBL> I just bought an IBM thinkPad 775C and it came with Win 95 installed.
>  RTBL> It only has 450+ mg HD and I think that is stretching it's capabilities
>  RTBL> a little. Besides, I like Win 3.1 better. The problem is I don't know
>  RTBL> how to remove Win 95 and then get DOS 6.22 on wqith the right
>  RTBL> autoexec.bat and config.sys setup. I would assume I would start by
>  RTBL> formatting the HD, but THEN WHAT??? Could someone out there lead me
>  RTBL> through this one time? I don't have a sound card or CD rom, it has an
>  RTBL> active matrix screen and 16 meg of ram. I don't have now, but will have
>  RTBL> a PMCIA card 28.8 modem. Anyone know what I need to do?

There are some tricks you can play if you want to use DOS + Win3.1
instead of Windows 95 - and you wouldn't have to get DOS Install
floppies to do it.  For example, you can change the Win95 user interface
to be a DOS-interface instead of a GUI.  To do this, you need to edit
C:\MSDOS.SYS.  Turn off the system/hidden attributes (I'll assume you
know how to do this) then use any text editor to change the BootGUI line
in [Options] to 0.  On my system, the [Options] section looks like this:

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
Network=1

So you would want to change it to this:

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=0
Network=1

Now when you boot Windows 95, you should get a plain DOS-style
interface.

If you really prefer the old-style Win3.1 interface to windows, you can
instead use Program Manager.  Surprisingly, it is installed by default
when you loaded Windows 95.  The easiest way to use this would be to put
an item for PROGMAN.EXE in your Startup group.  Your groups are already
there.

I suppose you could also put PROGMAN as your 'shell' entry in the [boot]
section of your SYSTEM.INI, but I wouldn't want to try it.  The entry on
my system looks like this:

[boot]
shell=Explorer.exe

So you might want to change it to this:

[boot]
shell=PROGMAN.exe

                -- Henry Spencer

Post by Fritz W Feuerbach » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: I just bought an IBM thinkPad 775C and it came with Win 95 installed. It
: only has 450+ mg HD and I think that is stretching it's capabilities a
: little. Besides, I like Win 3.1 better. The problem is I don't know how to
: remove Win 95 and then get DOS 6.22 on wqith the right autoexec.bat and
: config.sys setup. I would assume I would start by formatting the HD, but
: THEN WHAT??? Could someone out there lead me through this one time? I don't

First, make sure you have a bootable floppy with at least a minimal
installation of DOS on it.  Make sure you have format.com and fdisk.com on
it.  Then, put it in your drive and reboot the computer.  You'll probably
need to run fdisk first and create 1 or more DOS partitions.  Then, run
format /u /s c: to make your hard drive bootable.  Next either install the
rest of your DOS or create a directory on c: called DOS and copy your
minimal installation in there.

Now, you need to get the Windows 3.1 install disks and install windows to
the hard drive.