ANNOUNCE: Texinfo 3.12 ported to DJGPP

Post by Eli Zaretski » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

This is to announce that the DJGPP port of GNU Texinfo version 3.12 is
available from the DJGPP sites on SimTel.NET.  Here's the main mirror:

  ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/v2gnu/txi312b.zip
  ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/v2gnu/txi312s.zip

GNU Texinfo includes several programs.  The most important one is the
stand-alone Info reader, used to read GNU hypertext docs.  The package
also includes makeinfo, a program that produces Info files from their
Texinfo sources (this is how you make corrections in GNU docs);
install-info, a program that automates the process of adding a menu
item in the DIR file when you install new Info docs on your system;
and several utilities required to produce printed versions of the GNU
docs (if you really want to print the docs, you will need to install a
port of TeX, though).

Version 3.12 includes many new features and enhancements, both
specific to DJGPP and those which aren't.  Most of the DJGPP-related
changes were meant to make a cleaner port, as I hope the next Texinfo
release will support DJGPP out of the box.  Here are some notable
changes:

  - More robust handling of DOS-style backslashes.  Info should now
    fully support both '/' and '\' in file names.

  - Support for compressed Info files which should work on DOS and
    Windows 9X alike.

  - Printing a node now automatically prints to the local printer,
    even if you haven't set INFO_PRINT_COMMAND in the environment.

  - Support for changing screen dimensions after starting Info.

  - If you don't have a `man' clone installed, Info will no longer
    wait for 15 seconds when you happen to call it with a wrong
    argument.

See the files NEWS and djgpp/README in the distribution for more
details.

Please note that the input method used by Info was completely
redesigned (it now uses the DJGPP Filesystem Extensions feature), so
I'd particularly like to hear about any problems related to reading
keys.  (One of the advantages of this rewrite is that you can now use
Alt-key and don't need to type ESC key instead.)

Have fun.

Post by Chris Croughto » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

> Version 3.12 includes many new features and enhancements, both
> specific to DJGPP and those which aren't.  Most of the DJGPP-related
> changes were meant to make a cleaner port, as I hope the next Texinfo
> release will support DJGPP out of the box.  Here are some notable
> changes:

I don't see any mention (including in the internal documentation) of the
bug with 'l' (which doesn't take you back to the last screen seen, it
takes you all the way through the history).  Was this solved at some
point?

Chris C

Post by Eli Zaretski » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> So I started to think
> about adding texinfo browser directly into distribution, but the default
> one is rather big. Is there some small such browser (say maximally 10KB)
> available?

I don't know about any such browser, and I doubt if it is possible,
even if you leave out many features.  Browsing Info files is a
sirprisingly complex task, since the format leaves a lot of leeway.

Please do NOT use djgpp-announce for discussions about the announced

ANNOUNCE: Texinfo 3.12 ported to DJGPP

Post by Eli Zaretski » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I don't see any mention (including in the internal documentation) of the
> bug with 'l' (which doesn't take you back to the last screen seen, it
> takes you all the way through the history).  Was this solved at some
> point?

The behavior of `l' was changed.  Whether this change is a solution of
the problem or part thereof, is open to dispute ;-).  The GNU
maintainer thinks the new behavior goes a long way towards solving the
problem.  I dare to disagree; but then I wasn't particularly mad about
the previous way this feature worked, either.  Your mileage may vary;
give it a try and see for yourself.

(Btw, the official release of Texinfo 3.12 has a few bugs in how `l'
works, which are corrected in the DJGPP port, so if you decide to try
this out, use the DJGPP sources, even if you do that on Unix.)

Post by Jan Hubick » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > So I started to think
> > about adding texinfo browser directly into distribution, but the default
> > one is rather big. Is there some small such browser (say maximally 10KB)
> > available?

> I don't know about any such browser, and I doubt if it is possible,
> even if you leave out many features.  Browsing Info files is a
> sirprisingly complex task, since the format leaves a lot of leeway.

shame... please can you give me some example about such complex
problem? I tought text is already formated and just contains links
with :: and nodes....

> Please do NOT use djgpp-announce for discussions about the announced

Honza

                   Have you browsed my www pages? Look at:
                       http://www.paru.cas.cz/~hubicka
      Koules-the game for Svgalib,X11 and OS/2,  Xonix-the game for X11
      czech documentation for linux index, original 2D computer art and
              funny 100 years old photos and articles are there!

Post by SE » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > > So I started to think
> > > about adding texinfo browser directly into distribution, but the default
> > > one is rather big. Is there some small such browser (say maximally 10KB)
> > > available?

> > I don't know about any such browser, and I doubt if it is possible,
> > even if you leave out many features.  Browsing Info files is a
> > sirprisingly complex task, since the format leaves a lot of leeway.

> shame... please can you give me some example about such complex
> problem? I tought text is already formated and just contains links
> with :: and nodes....

More or less, but there are a LOT of small details. And what's even worst I saw
info files that simply violates the format (the description of the format is in
the texinfo.info file if I remmember well). I found it in one libc.info from
Linux!
Additionally any info browser MUST support gzip compressed files. Debian's
standards says that all the .info files distributed must be compressed with
gzip -9. It adds some complexity. Another problem are the splitted .info files,
they are much more efficient (better speed and less memory needed), but again:
it makes the things more complex.
To make an stable and really functional InfView I spend a lot of time (and
code).

SET
------------------------------------ 0 --------------------------------
Visit my home page: http://set-soft.home.ml.org/
or
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/6552/
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)

ICQ: 2951574
Address: Curapaligue 2124, Caseros, 3 de Febrero
Buenos Aires, (1678), ARGENTINA
TE: +(541) 759 0013

Post by Eli Zaretski » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > I don't know about any such browser, and I doubt if it is possible,
> > even if you leave out many features.  Browsing Info files is a
> > sirprisingly complex task, since the format leaves a lot of leeway.

> shame... please can you give me some example about such complex
> problem? I tought text is already formated and just contains links
> with :: and nodes....

There are too many ways of making a valid reference:

      *note foo::
      *note foo: bar
      *note foo: (bar)baz
      *note foo: (bar)*

to name just a few.

But most of the complexity is in finding the node, *after* you have
gleaned its name.  The Info file can be with or without a tag table,
it can be a single file or several subfiles, with another table
telling how to find which file holds the node you are looking for.  A
reference can point to another Info file, which then opens the Pandora
box of how do you look for Info files along INFOPATH, etc. etc.

> > Please do NOT use djgpp-announce for discussions about the announced

djgpp-announce doesn't go anywhere.  The mail ends up in DJ's mailbox,
and he decides whether to reflect it or not.  If the message doesn't
have an announcement, chances are DJ won't send it.

ANNOUNCE: Texinfo 3.12 ported to DJGPP

Post by Eli Zaretski » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Why does the latest release of Texinfo (txi312b.zip) have a
> smaller version number than the previous release (txi390b.zip)?

The true version number of txi390b.zip is 3.9, not 3.90 (see
manifest/txi390b.ver).

Post by Daniel Luecki » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>> > I don't know about any such browser, and I doubt if it is possible,
>> > even if you leave out many features.  Browsing Info files is a
>> > sirprisingly complex task, since the format leaves a lot of leeway.

>> shame... please can you give me some example about such complex
>> problem? I tought text is already formated and just contains links
>> with :: and nodes....

[snipped]

Quote:>But most of the complexity is in finding the node, *after* you have
>gleaned its name.  The Info file can be with or without a tag table,
>it can be a single file or several subfiles, with another table
>telling how to find which file holds the node you are looking for.

It can even mix these things. I found (accidentally) that you can
concatenate several info files into a single large file and delete
the individual files, yet still info has no problem finding nodes,
even though there is a table pointing to individual files. (Of course I
have not exercised EVERY feature of info, so problems may yet occur.)

Quote:>                                                                    A

--
Dan Luecking                           Dept. of Mathematical Sciences

http://comp.uark.edu/~luecking/        Fayetteville, AR 72101

ANNOUNCE: Texinfo 3.12 ported to DJGPP

Post by Daniel Luecki » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>> Why does the latest release of Texinfo (txi312b.zip) have a
>> smaller version number than the previous release (txi390b.zip)?
>The true version number of txi390b.zip is 3.9, not 3.90 (see
>manifest/txi390b.ver).

But 3.9 is still larger than 3.12, unless (as is usually understood in
version numbers) you recognize that the full stop is not a decimal
point, but merely a separator.

--
Dan Luecking                           Dept. of Mathematical Sciences

http://comp.uark.edu/~luecking/        Fayetteville, AR 72101

ANNOUNCE: Texinfo 3.12 ported to DJGPP

Post by SE » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> >> Why does the latest release of Texinfo (txi312b.zip) have a
> >> smaller version number than the previous release (txi390b.zip)?

> >The true version number of txi390b.zip is 3.9, not 3.90 (see
> >manifest/txi390b.ver).

> But 3.9 is still larger than 3.12, unless (as is usually understood in
> version numbers) you recognize that the full stop is not a decimal
> point, but merely a separator.

Yes that's the case of most of the GNU tools. Even my editor is version 0.4.16
and the last number is 16 and not 1 and 6. So 0.4.9 is an older version.

Post by Chris Croughto » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> The behavior of `l' was changed.  Whether this change is a solution of
> the problem or part thereof, is open to dispute ;-).  The GNU
> maintainer thinks the new behavior goes a long way towards solving the
> problem.  I dare to disagree; but then I wasn't particularly mad about
> the previous way this feature worked, either.  Your mileage may vary;
> give it a try and see for yourself.

It's better than it was (it's at least more intuitive to me), but it's
still annoying that it doesn't save te cursor position, so you have to
reselect the node (if it's something like the gcc reference there are a
/lot/ of links to search).  However, the "make a window containing links
to everywhere you've been) function helps, even if it is one of those
emacs-type ^X ones I can never remember.

One oddity - backspace for going back up a page doesn't work unless you
do CTRL-BS, if you just do BS then it opens another window.  Something
in the terminfo, possibly?

Quote:> (Btw, the official release of Texinfo 3.12 has a few bugs in how `l'
> works, which are corrected in the DJGPP port, so if you decide to try
> this out, use the DJGPP sources, even if you do that on Unix.)

I assume that these have been reported to the developers will be
incorporated in a future release?  Thanks for the tip, anyway.

Chris C

Post by Eli Zaretski » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> It's better than it was (it's at least more intuitive to me), but it's
> still annoying that it doesn't save te cursor position, so you have to
> reselect the node (if it's something like the gcc reference there are a
> /lot/ of links to search).\

Yes, and another problem is when you traverse the manual with SPACE,
and hit the bottom of a node which doesn't have a NEXT link.  SPACE
will than do UP and NEXT automatically, but without showing the UP
node.  So far so good, but if you then press `l', you get to that UP
node, which you haven't even visited as far as you are concerned!

I tried to see how to repair these problems, so `l' would work like
you'd expect, but it seemed extremly non-trivial (or maybe I was just
dense that day), and I couldn't afford it, having already spent quite
some time correcting more urgent things.

Maybe you should get the sources and have a shot at this?

Quote:> One oddity - backspace for going back up a page doesn't work unless you
> do CTRL-BS, if you just do BS then it opens another window.  Something
> in the terminfo, possibly?

No, this is intentional.  As the docs says, you go back by pressing
DEL, not BS.  I couldn't make BS do the same since on the PC, BS is
indistinguishable from Ctrl-H (unless you hook Int 9), and I didn't
want to lose Ctrl-H which calls up Help.

Oh, and Info doesn't use any of the terminfo stuff at all.

Quote:> > (Btw, the official release of Texinfo 3.12 has a few bugs in how `l'
> > works, which are corrected in the DJGPP port, so if you decide to try
> > this out, use the DJGPP sources, even if you do that on Unix.)

> I assume that these have been reported to the developers will be
> incorporated in a future release?

Of course.  I dumped about 130K of diffs on Texinfo maintainer.  Most
of these are DOS- and DJGPP-specific, but some are real bugs in the
original code.

Post by Chris Croughto » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Yes, and another problem is when you traverse the manual with SPACE,
> and hit the bottom of a node which doesn't have a NEXT link.  SPACE
> will than do UP and NEXT automatically, but without showing the UP
> node.  So far so good, but if you then press `l', you get to that UP
> node, which you haven't even visited as far as you are concerned!

I haven't seen that one, but then I'm not a great fan of info (as you
may have noticed!).  I'm not totally convinced that this is a misfeature
(it's definitely a bug, but I'm not sure if it's something some people
might want).

(Having just tried it with DJGPP info built for DEC Alpha and OSF/1, yes
it does do that.  I'm still not sure whether I like it, if you hadn't
pointed it out I would have assumed it was a feature...)

Quote:> I tried to see how to repair these problems, so `l' would work like
> you'd expect, but it seemed extremly non-trivial (or maybe I was just
> dense that day), and I couldn't afford it, having already spent quite
> some time correcting more urgent things.

From when I looked at the previous 'l' problem I though the whole thing
was non-trivial.

Quote:> Maybe you should get the sources and have a shot at this?

I have the sources (I got them when you suggested using them to build it
for Unix), and - it's not trivial.  Quadrivial at least.  As far as I
can work out it (at present) only stores the node reference with the
window list, adding line number within that node (even worse, line
number at top of screen and line number of cursor) will add to the
complexity.

Quote:> > One oddity - backspace for going back up a page doesn't work unless you
> > do CTRL-BS, if you just do BS then it opens another window.  Something
> > in the terminfo, possibly?

> No, this is intentional.  As the docs says, you go back by pressing
> DEL, not BS.  I couldn't make BS do the same since on the PC, BS is
> indistinguishable from Ctrl-H (unless you hook Int 9), and I didn't
> want to lose Ctrl-H which calls up Help.

Ah.  Hmm.  Interesting (in the Chinese curse sense).  Oh well, PgUp and
PgDn work for the PC version anyway, I didn't need to use BS (it's just
that the 'tutorial' said to use it).

Quote:> Oh, and Info doesn't use any of the terminfo stuff at all.

On Unix it uses curses which uses termcap (not as I thought terminfo,
although it might use terminfo on some Unix systems).

Quote:> Of course.  I dumped about 130K of diffs on Texinfo maintainer.  Most
> of these are DOS- and DJGPP-specific, but some are real bugs in the
> original code.

Inpressive - that's diffs for almost 10% of the source!  Actually
probably not if they're context diffs, but still a lot.  Presumably it
will be quite a while before the next version appears...

Thanks...

Chris C

1. ANNOUNCE: Texinfo 3.12 updated with bugfixes

This is to announce that the DJGPP port of the GNU Texinfo package,
version 3.12, has been updated on SimTel.NET mirrors.

  ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/v2gnu/txi312b.zip
  ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/v2gnu/txi312s.zip

The new zip files should be dated June 30 or later.

The changes include:

  - info.exe was linked with a modified version of __dpmi_yield
    library function, which doesn't cause it to hang on certain
    (rare) configurations of Windows 95;

  - makeinfo.exe has several bugfixes, the most important are:

      characters) in node names has been fixed;
    * makeinfo now runs almost as fast as version 3.9 did (the maximum
      slow-down I've seen is 5%, whereas the original release of 3.12
      ran up to 10 times slower);

  - texi2dvi now always deletes temporary files, even when TeX
    produces empty output or is aborted.

The file djgpp/DIFFS2 in the source distribution tells the whole story
about the changes.

Enjoy.

2. How do I increase bandwidth to my fileserver?

3. ANNOUNCE: Texinfo 3.12 revised and uploaded

4. card upgrade

5. ANNOUNCE: DJGPP port of Texinfo 4.2 uploaded

6. Replication - SSH

7. ANNOUNCE: DJGPP port of Texinfo 4.0 uploaded

8. downloading going to microsoft works

9. ANNOUNCE: GNU and APPS Documentation for DJGPP v2, formats: dvi, ps, html & texinfo

10. ANNOUNCE: GNU Documentation for DJGPP v2, formats: dvi, ps, html & texinfo

11. Allegro version 3.12 (DJGPP Zip-Picker Version)

12. ANNOUNCE : ed-02d.zip & gwk303d.zip (documentation in dvi, ps, html and texinfo format)