Warning: Arachne v1.66 and TEMP=C:\DOS

1. Temp directory, why c:\dos

When MS-DOS sets up your computer it puts this in your autoexec.bat

 SET TEMP=C:\DOS

When I had some trouble with my system (corrupted files) I was told to
re-install DOS. It worked, but I lost some files that I had put in there
(as a convenience as it was in my PATH [I was backed up and retrieved them]).
However they said to keep my DOS directory virgin, and put temporary files
in a separate directory. So I change my autoexec.bat to read

 SET TEMP=C:\TEMP  (of course created a TEMP dir)

I've not seen any pro's or con's from this move.
So, my question: Is there an advantage to one of these configurations?

Thanks:-)

2. Source Control and Collaboration

3. New Arachne v1.70 CHANGES.TXT

4. Hey Patty, I want to see some more Clinton jokes. OK?

5. Arachne v1.69 CHANGES.TXT

6. Shutting down Windows 2000

7. DJGPP under DOSEmu 0.66.7 SIGSEGV's randomly???

8. FS SparcStation ELC

9. need to speedup 486dx2-66

10. Wierd problem running macros on a 66 Mhz PC clone.

11. 486DX2/66 software emulator, does it work?