How to change video modes??

Post by Jeff Meye » Fri, 08 Jan 1993 17:40:05

OK, here's the situation: I have two monitor (VGA and mono) and want to write
a TSR that will display text on the mono monitor without disturbing the
VGA screen.

I have tried using BIOS interrupt 10, function 00 (set video mode).  This will
work when changing modes to anything but 7 - the one I need.  It switches to
mode 0 when I try this.

I need to be able to do three things: clear the mono screen, write text to
it, and scroll up one line.  As usual, I would like the easiest and most
efficient method - other than writing directly to video memory.

Any suggestions?  Do I need to do something else to change video modes with
the above listed BIOS call?

Please e-mail me...

Thanks!

How to change video modes??

Post by Jeff Kent » Sat, 09 Jan 1993 11:41:37

>OK, here's the situation: I have two monitor (VGA and mono) and want to write
>a TSR that will display text on the mono monitor without disturbing the
>VGA screen.
>I need to be able to do three things: clear the mono screen, write text to
>it, and scroll up one line.  As usual, I would like the easiest and most
>efficient method - other than writing directly to video memory.
>Any suggestions?  Do I need to do something else to change video modes with
>the above listed BIOS call?

Do the VGA stuff the normal way, and write directly to video memory for mono.

=                       Jeff Kenton     (617) 894-4508                  =

1. Changing video mode of BP IDE - How to?

Having played with tvtoys I found out that TV supports more videomodes than
the standard 80x25 lines.  I would very much prefer if BP would start up in
132x25 (as this is how I spend most of my time outside of BP) and I have
found the VESA call for it.

BP, however, refuses utterly to have anything but 80x25 characters in the
IDE, and I do not know how to tickle it into doing it as I like (and, no,
BPW is not an option).

Is there a wizard outthere who knows how this should be done, and is
willing to explain to me how to patch (alas) BP?

A MicroSoft mouse driver which can do other than 80x25 would be nice as
well.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards,
--
  Thorbj?rn Ravn Andersen

2. What is appletalk?

3. In need of a paint Program ...

4. Change Video Mode on Boot Up

5. INTERMEC

6. Problems Changing Video Modes

7. Telocity Gateway password Help

8. VGA video mode changes through hardware on a 386

9. Allegro: Video mode changing

10. Video mode changes without bios: code needed

11. Changing and restoring Video Mode

12. How to change change Turbo mode on an AT?