Batch commands that work in NT/XP but not under win-98?

Batch commands that work in NT/XP but not under win-98?

Post by DOS Gu » Mon, 02 May 2011 10:11:45

This web-page:

http://batcheero.blogspot.com/2007/06/how-to-enabledelayedexpansion.html

decribes one particular batch command (setlocal ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION)
that I'm encountering in a utility program designed to convert
multimedia video files from various formats into MKV format.

The utility program is called VID2EVA (http://www.vid2eva.com/)

I'm not sure what other commands or parameters invoked by this batch
file is specific to NT-based OS's, but this one in particular seems
somewhat important.  Is there an equivalent function or statement that
can be used to replace this command when run under win-98?

The batch file itself is about 163 kb in size, and it can be downloaded
as part of this archive:

http://eoi.lefti.net/stuff/eva9000beta/VID2EVA%20Stable%20Releases/VI...

A direct link to the batch file is here:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/VID2EVA.zip

I had to rename it from .bat to .txt for fileden to accept it.

Post by Jaco » Mon, 02 May 2011 11:46:35

>This web-page:

>http://batcheero.blogspot.com/2007/06/how-to-enabledelayedexpansion.html

>decribes one particular batch command (setlocal ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION)
>that I'm encountering in a utility program designed to convert
>multimedia video files from various formats into MKV format.

>The utility program is called VID2EVA (http://www.vid2eva.com/)

>I'm not sure what other commands or parameters invoked by this batch
>file is specific to NT-based OS's, but this one in particular seems
>somewhat important.  Is there an equivalent function or statement that
>can be used to replace this command when run under win-98?

>The batch file itself is about 163 kb in size, and it can be downloaded
>as part of this archive:

>http://eoi.lefti.net/stuff/eva9000beta/VID2EVA%20Stable%20Releases/VI...

>A direct link to the batch file is here:

>http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/VID2EVA.zip

>I had to rename it from .bat to .txt for fileden to accept it.

I don't know of such a command.

IIRC, enclosing filespecs with wildcards in quotes prevents Win9x from
"helping" by expanding the wildcards and sends the wildcards intact to
where they were intended to go.

Post by Todd Varg » Mon, 02 May 2011 12:59:10

> This web-page:

> http://batcheero.blogspot.com/2007/06/how-to-enabledelayedexpansion.html

> decribes one particular batch command (setlocal ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION)
> that I'm encountering in a utility program designed to convert
> multimedia video files from various formats into MKV format.

> The utility program is called VID2EVA (http://www.vid2eva.com/)

> I'm not sure what other commands or parameters invoked by this batch
> file is specific to NT-based OS's, but this one in particular seems
> somewhat important.  Is there an equivalent function or statement that
> can be used to replace this command when run under win-98?

> The batch file itself is about 163 kb in size, and it can be downloaded
> as part of this archive:

> http://eoi.lefti.net/stuff/eva9000beta/VID2EVA%20Stable%20Releases/VI...

> A direct link to the batch file is here:

> http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/VID2EVA.zip

> I had to rename it from .bat to .txt for fileden to accept it.

WARNING! The first .zip link wants to download a 48.2MB file.

The batch in the second .zip link can not be used in Win9x for more reasons
than just the lack of SETLOCAL. The following commands are also not valid in
Win9x.

CALL :LABELNAME
for /F "tokens=* delims="
Multiple line commands i.e. ) else (
Expansion of %0 using %~dp0
set /a
for /d
Nested FOR commands
NEQ, GEQ etc. are not valid with IF command
Variable substrings i.e. !DriveLetter:~0,1!
Spacces around == are relevent with IF command in Win9x
findstr.exe does not exist
:EOF is not an intrinsic label

Batch commands that work in NT/XP but not under win-98?

Post by Marcus Houlde » Mon, 02 May 2011 22:47:42

wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc:

Quote:> This web-page:

> http://batcheero.blogspot.com/2007/06/how-to-enabledelayedexpansion.html

> decribes one particular batch command (setlocal ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION)
> that I'm encountering in a utility program designed to convert
> multimedia video files from various formats into MKV format.

> The utility program is called VID2EVA (http://www.vid2eva.com/)

> I'm not sure what other commands or parameters invoked by this batch
> file is specific to NT-based OS's, but this one in particular seems
> somewhat important.  Is there an equivalent function or statement that
> can be used to replace this command when run under win-98?

Why not use http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html instead? That does MKV
conversions and you don't need to mess around with batch files to do more
than one at a time.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

Post by DOS Gu » Wed, 04 May 2011 23:26:24

> Why not use http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html instead? That does
> MKV conversions and you don't need to mess around with batch files
> to do more than one at a time.

That program or "Suite" (if it can be called that) seems to have been
around for a while (dating back 3 or 4 years it seems).  Some telling
comments about it here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/SUPER

Most of those comments were made somewhat recently - within the past 2
months.  And this in particular:

------------
Contains known spyware real media player that you can elect to not
install (though I am not sure if any of it was installed anyway) ALSO
CONTAINS TR/MEREDROP.A.3450 virus.
------------

See also:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:SUPER_(software)

"When analyzed in more detail, the file DXdump.exe is found to be an
tElock protected file, full of strange exceptions to thwart analysis
which is strange considering it doesn't appear to do a lot."

"The SUPER install package and several of it's internal programs make
use of unconventional packer programs that are normally found to be used
by malware. All in all, even if this software is not malicious, it is
coded and packed as if it's hiding something."

1. Winzi Batch File for Win 98

I am trying to design a batch file that would run Winzip or PKZip on a
specific file in a path. I want to run this batch every day (end of day)
to create a backup of the days data input. However, I do not want to
overwrite the previous day's zip file, so I manually now create a unique
name each day that begins with mm-dd-yy, then I insert the name of the
file, which is usually two or three letters that represent the
application name. For example:   7-11-00-DataABC.zip.

The batch I want to create would automatically insert the current date
in front  of the file name and ad the *.zip extension. Therefore, each
week
there would be a backup created after each day's work, then the next,
then the next, etc.

I could then just run the batch file each evening to create the day's
backup zip file.

I can not believe that no one has this written. Does anyone know of
anything like this?

If I could write code or program I would work on this.

Thank you for your attention to this

Ron Cantor

2. Flight simulation programmers please read!!!

3. Trouble: Connecting WIN-98 and DOS-PC (ethernet)

4. This should be another exciting week on Wall Street

5. Differences between Win 95 and Win 98

6. Windows 98 not shutting down properly

7. console refresh under Win NT/XP

8. Remote Access Server

9. How to get DJGPP work under WIN XP

10. FTP Command works in Win95 fails in XP

11. Can be maked Win32., Win98/98/NT app using djgpp?