DOS-Based "legacy" database management system called "Profile"

DOS-Based "legacy" database management system called "Profile"

Post by MMcreyno » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

(This is also posted in comp.databases.)
At my workplace, one department uses a fairly old, DOS-based PC/LAN "legacy"
database management system called "Profile" for a fairly important application.
 Recently it has become my lucky responsibility to convert this application to
something more standard (probably MS Access97).

No one currently at my company, either users or Systems people, knows much
about Profile.  At the time it was installed, it may have been shareware or
even freeware.  I wonder if anyone in this newsgroup has even heard of this
database management system, and might have any suggestions about where I might
find the vendor who developed Profile, or any organizations which currently
support it, customers who use it, places I might find documentation (web-based
or not), etc.

Until today, I though I'd at least heard of most dbms, but this is a new one to
me.  Thanks in advance for any help.

DOS-Based "legacy" database management system called "Profile"

Post by Damian Yerric » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>(This is also posted in comp.databases.)
>At my workplace, one department uses a fairly old, DOS-based PC/LAN
>"legacy" database management system called "Profile" for a fairly
>important application.  Recently it has become my lucky responsibility
>to convert this application to something more standard (probably MS
>Access97).

Databases that can be accessed only by MS Access clients are far from
standard.  Better go PostgreSQL IMHO.

Quote:>I wonder if anyone in this newsgroup has even heard of this database
>management system, and might have any suggestions about where I might
>find the vendor who developed Profile

Not on Yahoo! or Google.  Probably out of business.

Quote:>or any organizations which currently support it, customers who use it,
>places I might find documentation (web-based or not), etc.

I'd say just try to cr4x0r the file format and then hack up something
in PostgreSQL.

--
Damian Yerrick
"I refuse to listen to those who refuse to listen to reason."

This is McAfee VirusScan. Add these two lines to your signature to
prevent the spread of signature viruses.  http://www.mcafee.com/

1. ".inf" vs ".info" in djdev201.zip "info/dir" file

Hi Eli,

I recently re-installed V2.01 and many other packages from the zips
(Win95/DOS box, LFN=y), trying to resolve another (not relevant here)
problem.  In trying to use info to research some command-line options
for utilities, I discovered that the "dir" file as delivered in the
djdev201.zip package (almost) consistantly uses an extension of ".inf"
(texinfo itself is the only exception, it has no extension at all),
while the following packages install info files with an extension of
".info":

flex
gawk
libgpp
make
utils
fileutils
textutils
sh-utils

Specifically, these files get installed into my info subdirectory by
the other packages I have installed:

fileutils.info
flex.info
gawk.info
m4.info
make.info
sh-utils.info
tar.info
textutils.info
autoconf.info
gxxFAQ.info
gperf.info
libgpp.info
standards.info

I am willing to figure out how to use "install-info" from the texinfo
docs, but is there a later version of the "dir" file that reflects
this discrepancy in file naming conventions between info and the
various packages?

If this is already answered anywhere in available sources, just point
me at it to RTFM and I will.

TIA for any help you can provide.

2. BT ADSL & POP3 (UK)

3. The DOS "" for "/"

4. Demoting and Promoting

5. Need "B-trieve database management C library for DOS"

6. Floating Boxes (?)

7. Looking for DOS "PUSHD" & "POPD"

8. Samba and MS Access

9. help to get "Matlab" "turbo C++" "Corel Draw" and "Igor"

10. echoing "on" "off"

11. "new" operator vs. malloc; "virtual memory exceeded in 'new' " error

12. using "srandom" and "random" in RSXNTDJ