Question on farpoke

Post by Mirko Geffke » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I have got another 2 questions
1) If I use the farpoke routine (don't know
   the exact command at the moment) and look at the assembly I can see
   something like .byte 0x64 assembled before the mov instruction.
   My question, what exactly does this do?
2) Is there a Version of rhide which already has the source level
   de* built in. I have tried gdb (which has great functionality),
   but it is a little bit hard to have an overview of the source all
   the time. I know it is supposed to be released in midth of october,
   but maybe there is something like a beta 6 beta out there.

Thank you

Mirko

Question on farpoke

Post by Eli Zaretski » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> 1) If I use the farpoke routine (don't know
>    the exact command at the moment) and look at the assembly I can see
>    something like .byte 0x64 assembled before the mov instruction.
>    My question, what exactly does this do?

This is the FS: segment override.  Gas (the GNU assembler) doesn't handle
these well, so the usual practice is to put them in as .byte constants.

Question on farpoke

Post by Fernando Marc » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>> 1) If I use the farpoke routine (don't know
>>    the exact command at the moment) and look at the assembly I can see
>>    something like .byte 0x64 assembled before the mov instruction.
>>    My question, what exactly does this do?
>This is the FS: segment override.  Gas (the GNU assembler) doesn't handle
>these well, so the usual practice is to put them in as .byte constants.

I had trouble with segment prefixes some time ago. I discovered that
replacing

  movb %bx,%fs:200

with
  fs
  movb %bx,200

solved the problem, and is a LOT easier to read than those '.byte'
statements.

Hope this helps. Greets all.