Getting a call frame trace back

Post by Pog » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

How do I go about getting a call frame trace back?
All help GREATLY appreciated.

Post by Paul Derbyshi » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> How do I go about getting a call frame trace back?
> All help GREATLY appreciated.

Try this...

int main (void) {
  int *ptr;
  ptr=(int *)8765432;
  (*ptr)=77;
  return 0;

Quote:}

That should give you a nice call frame traceback >;-)

--
    .*.  Friendship, companionship, love, and having fun are the reasons for
 -()  <  life. All else; sex, money, fame, etc.; are just to get/express these.

      Date:   04.12.97
      Subject:"Getting a call frame trace back"

Quote:> How do I go about getting a call frame trace back?
> All help GREATLY appreciated.

mov ebx,ebp
.repeat
  mov eax,[ebx+4]
  mov ebx,[ebx]
  push ebx
  push ebx
  push eax
  call _prt_info ;extern "C" void prt_info(void* pCaller, void* pBaseStack)
  add esp,8
  pop ebx
.until [ptr_of_ebp_before_we_called_main] != ebx

You only have to do conversion to AT&T syntax and find out what value
should be stored at "ptr_of_ebp_before_we_called_main".

Regards, MJS
Use it: _PB3.2 & PREP_ / _ASM & PREASM_ / _NASM & FLINK_

Post by Pog » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>       Date:   04.12.97
>       Subject:"Getting a call frame trace back"

> > How do I go about getting a call frame trace back?
> > All help GREATLY appreciated.

> mov ebx,ebp
> .repeat
>   mov eax,[ebx+4]
>   mov ebx,[ebx]
>   push ebx
>   push ebx
>   push eax
>   call _prt_info ;extern "C" void prt_info(void* pCaller, void* pBaseStack)
>   add esp,8
>   pop ebx
> .until [ptr_of_ebp_before_we_called_main] != ebx

> You only have to do conversion to AT&T syntax and find out what value
> should be stored at "ptr_of_ebp_before_we_called_main".

> Regards, MJS
> Use it: _PB3.2 & PREP_ / _ASM & PREASM_ / _NASM & FLINK_

Thanks for the help!
  Unfortunatly though my ASM skills are let ting me down, so I was wondering if
an explanation of exactly how it works could be given?

Thanks...

1. rhide/call trace back - small question

I noticed that rhide can show you a call stack when a program bombs
under it.

Now lets say a person sent me a screen dump (see bottom of this message)
of that GPF screen that occured in a program I wrote. Can I somehow
recreate a call stack from that info to aid me in finding the bug?

Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV
General Protection Fault at eip=00005ff5
...etc...

Univ. of Manitoba Comp. Sci.        # Just released: Drip! (PC 386+)
C C++ Pascal Delphi Perl HTML Java  # http://www.mbnet.mb.ca/chaos

2. DFS Deployment to Users

3. Calling DOS interrupts under windows and Real Mode call backs??????

4. Thank you all for the help. I have one more problem

5. compile c++ and c file together

6. Trace-back with details

7. ProE Product Designers available

8. Trace-back, symify, Ada exceptions

9. How to back-trace the stack (functions) in an error function?

10. Getting a stack trace

11. trace227.zip - Trace MS-DOS system calls

12. trace27.zip Trace MS-DOS function calls, D.Spinellis