removable drives, drive letters

Post by Peter Benda » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

We have a number of systems with Adaptec SCSI cards and a partitioned hard disk
 which looks like drives C: and D:

I have fitted each of these systems with so-called "mobile racks" which allow
 me to plug a 1GB disk in a carrier (installed in a 5 1/4 inch slot) where it
 appears in the SCSI chain (as device 1)
 This is intended for very quick backups and to carry installation kits around.

Normally the removable disk is not inserted.
When intending to back up, I simply power down, insert the drive and restart.

Now the 1GB disk is drive D: and the users application disk is E: instead of D:

The Adaptec software accepts removable media from Syquest and apparently MO
 media from Fujitsu as well as Zip Drives and apparently allows any of these
 to be permanently allocated as Drive E: or F: etc
Does anyone know if I can make these "ordinary" disks transparently removable?
 Fool the software into thinking that E: is reserved for SCSI 1 ?

 (Dos 6.22, Win 3.11 _not_ WfWg, Adaptec 1542 or later,
   various CPUs from 486DX4/100 to Pentium 120)

thanks
Peter

---
Peter Bendall                                                Computer Manager
European Molecular Biology Laboratory,                     Hamburg Outstation.

Home:   http://www.embl-hamburg.de/~Peter  | FAX:      +49  40 - 899 02 149

1. Swap CDROM drive letter with a hard-drive partition drive letter

My computer came with one hard drive (C:) and one CDROM (D:), and a lot of
programs installed.  In addition, I have installed several more CDROM
programs.  Now, I added a second hard drive and partitioned it into two
partitions.  Unfortunately, now my CDROM drive letter is F: and my CD
programs won't work.  I'd like to move my CDROM drive letter back to D:.  I
am looking for a utility which will swap my F: CDROM drive letter with my
D: drive, so that my CDROM will be on drive D: and my hard drives will be
C:, E:, and F:.

Yes, I know that I can re-install the CDROM programs, but that is a lot of
work.  A utility as described above would be easier.
--

2. Floppy Drive Replacement

3. Disabling drive letter B: on one-floppy drive machines

4. Philips CM50 Audio

5. Drive Letter to Bios Number to Physical Drive

6. Linear Programming with Excel

7. Map drive letters to phyical drive numbers and partitions

8. CA World Event Night

9. # Virtual drives/non-existent Drive letters under DOS? #

10. Converting DOS drive letters to physical drives....

11. changing the drive letter on second drive

12. Recognizing a tape drive as a drive letter

13. Assign letter drive on a DAT drive under DOS system