Low$ question

Post by tims20032.. » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:11:59

My target is DOS, code is CPP/ASM. CPU is Pentium.
Do i need DOS extender utility?. If yes, How to get around commercial Dos Extenders. Low on $.
what are my options?.
-T.

--
Sent by 1 from yahoo within field  com

Low$ question

Post by Alex Russel » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:43:36

Quote:> My target is DOS, code is CPP/ASM. CPU is Pentium.
> Do i need DOS extender utility?. If yes, How to get around commercial Dos

Extenders. Low on $.
Quote:> what are my options?.
> -T.

> --
> Sent by 1 from yahoo within field  com
> This is a spam protected message. Please answer with reference header.

For a 16bit real mode program you do not need a dos extender. A DOS
exentender allows a "dos" program to run in 32 bit mode with direct access
to up to 4Gb of RAM.

--
Alex Russell

1. Changing BIOS and low level format questions

Couple of quickie questions for the group....

1. My brother is not very happy with his bios and is considering changing it if
possible. Is this possible? What does it involve? (i.e. is it just an open the
case, swap a couple of chips job?)

2. Low level formats of hard disks.... do all bioses have the code in them for
this or is it just AMI. To do such a format on my machine I just use debug to
start it all off. Is this standard? If not, can anyone recoomend a good low
level formatter for a Western digital 80Mb hard drive (IDE but I forget the
model) 'cos the dealer won't sell my brother a copy of the required tool (they
say it is a dealer only product).

Thanks in advance,
                 Iain

p.s. When does the FAQ for this group appear? I haven't seen it for a while.

2. STEVE BLOW JOBS IS DEAD MEAT!!!

3. Look a New Company Try them for amazing low prices

4. Settings and AppleScript

5. help: high or low memory?

6. Any update information

7. reply to: low level programming necesary?

8. where do we put our bug reports?

9. low memory allocation

10. Low Level file IO

11. low level serial communications

12. Low-freq. Fourrier spectrum analisis

13. Low level stuff w/DJGPP (floppy drive blitzing, etc)