Laptop Only Recognises Drive Letter `A'

Laptop Only Recognises Drive Letter `A'

Post by Richard Bonn » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 00:19:47



Hello, All.

   One of my on-the-road computers is a 2000 HP Pavilion laptop with
floppy and CD-ROM drives installed in separate bays. It runs DR-DOS 7.03
exclusively.

   I recently replaced its original 4.8 GB drive with a 30 GB one. For
some reason, the floppy drive `B' letter is no longer recognised. Normally
in a system with only one floppy, one can reference either `A' or `B' and
it's sorted out. That is, any `B' references will simply be sent to the
`A' drive.

   Can anyone suggest what might have happened to change this behaviour?

   Can anyone suggest a solution to allow either drive letter to be used?
Yes, I can use ASSIGN, but I would prefer to have this handled internally
as it had been up until now.

--
         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

 
 
 

Laptop Only Recognises Drive Letter `A'

Post by p.. » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 03:02:50




Quote:> Hello, All.

>    One of my on-the-road computers is a 2000 HP Pavilion laptop with
> floppy and CD-ROM drives installed in separate bays. It runs DR-DOS 7.03
> exclusively.

>    I recently replaced its original 4.8 GB drive with a 30 GB one. For
> some reason, the floppy drive `B' letter is no longer recognised. Normally
> in a system with only one floppy, one can reference either `A' or `B' and
> it's sorted out. That is, any `B' references will simply be sent to the
> `A' drive.

>    Can anyone suggest what might have happened to change this behaviour?

No idea...  Without sight of the source code for DRDOS 7.03 it would
be difficult to see why.

Quote:>    Can anyone suggest a solution to allow either drive letter to be used?
> Yes, I can use ASSIGN, but I would prefer to have this handled internally
> as it had been up until now.

If it helps, I wrote a small TSR that intercepts calls to Int 13h and
swaps drive A for B (and vice versa) -- it was written to workaround a
problem with installation programs that had hardcoded A: as the only
source diskette.  I'll happily post it here if it would help; the only
change needed would be to change the line

        xor     dl, 01h         ;toggle diskette 0 <--> 1
to
        xor     dl, dl          ;diskette = 0 for A or B

Pete
--
   "We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors,
    we have borrowed it from our descendants."

 
 
 

Laptop Only Recognises Drive Letter `A'

Post by p.. » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:53:49


[Apologies for the double follow-up]



Quote:> Hello, All.

>    One of my on-the-road computers is a 2000 HP Pavilion laptop with
> floppy and CD-ROM drives installed in separate bays. It runs DR-DOS 7.03
> exclusively.

>    I recently replaced its original 4.8 GB drive with a 30 GB one. For
> some reason, the floppy drive `B' letter is no longer recognised. Normally
> in a system with only one floppy, one can reference either `A' or `B' and
> it's sorted out. That is, any `B' references will simply be sent to the
> `A' drive.

>    Can anyone suggest what might have happened to change this behaviour?

I missed the obvious: looks as though a BIOS setting was changed
somehow.  Can you get into the BIOS setup program at startup and
check/change the drive assignments?

Pete
--
   "We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors,
    we have borrowed it from our descendants."

 
 
 

Laptop Only Recognises Drive Letter `A'

Post by d.. » Sat, 13 Aug 2011 06:49:38


"I missed the obvious: looks as though a BIOS setting was changed
somehow.  Can you get into the BIOS setup program at startup and
check/change the drive assignments?"

On most desktops hitting the delete or some other key very early in the
boot up routine calls the bias setup menu.  Check which key to use in
your owner's manual, likely to be found on the web also.  Most brands
seem to use the same key.

 
 
 

Laptop Only Recognises Drive Letter `A'

Post by Richard Bonn » Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:49:47




> >    One of my on-the-road computers is a 2000 HP Pavilion laptop with
> > floppy and CD-ROM drives installed in separate bays. It runs DR-DOS 7.03
> > exclusively.

> >    I recently replaced its original 4.8 GB drive with a 30 GB one. For
> > some reason, the floppy drive `B' letter is no longer recognised. Normally
> > in a system with only one floppy, one can reference either `A' or `B' and
> > it's sorted out. That is, any `B' references will simply be sent to the
> > `A' drive.

> >    Can anyone suggest what might have happened to change this behaviour?
> No idea...  Without sight of the source code for DRDOS 7.03 it would
> be difficult to see why.

***   It's not a DR-DOS issue, in my opinion. In any system with only one
floppy drive, either letter is ordinarily able to be used to access that
drive.

Quote:> >    Can anyone suggest a solution to allow either drive letter to be used?
> > Yes, I can use ASSIGN, but I would prefer to have this handled internally
> > as it had been up until now.
> If it helps, I wrote a small TSR that intercepts calls to Int 13h and
> swaps drive A for B (and vice versa)
(Snip)

> Pete

***   Thanks, but ASSIGN was designed to do this. It can make any drive
letter used refer to any other drive letter. I can use that but am curious
as to what might has caused this behaviour. I looked in the CMOS, but
nothing there helps.

--
         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

 
 
 

Laptop Only Recognises Drive Letter `A'

Post by Richard Bonn » Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:51:47



> [Apologies for the double follow-up]

***   No problem.


> >    One of my on-the-road computers is a 2000 HP Pavilion laptop with
> > floppy and CD-ROM drives installed in separate bays. It runs DR-DOS 7.03
> > exclusively.

> >    I recently replaced its original 4.8 GB drive with a 30 GB one. For
> > some reason, the floppy drive `B' letter is no longer recognised. Normally
> > in a system with only one floppy, one can reference either `A' or `B' and
> > it's sorted out. That is, any `B' references will simply be sent to the
> > `A' drive.
> I missed the obvious: looks as though a BIOS setting was changed
> somehow.  Can you get into the BIOS setup program at startup and
> check/change the drive assignments?

> Pete

***   I thought that too, but can see nothing there which can help.

   Regardless, either `A' or `B' should be able to refer to a lone floppy
drive.

--
         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

 
 
 

Laptop Only Recognises Drive Letter `A'

Post by Richard Bonn » Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:52:33



> "I missed the obvious: looks as though a BIOS setting was changed
> somehow.  Can you get into the BIOS setup program at startup and
> check/change the drive assignments?"
> On most desktops hitting the delete or some other key very early in the
> boot up routine calls the bias setup menu.  Check which key to use in
> your owner's manual, likely to be found on the web also.  Most brands
> seem to use the same key.

***   My Pavilion uses `F2'.

--
         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

 
 
 

1. Recognizing a tape drive as a drive letter

        Hello.  I know there is no standard way to make a tape drive
appear as a standard drive letter.  But I know there is some software
programs/drivers out there that will.  Does anyone know of such a driver
(For a Conner 250) Preferabally Shareware... Email me if you have/know
of one or post here.  Thanks.

.--------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Jeff Culler                     Canada Remote Systems (CRS Online) |

`--------------------------------------------------------------------'

2. Symantec C/C++ - Comments?

3. Swap CDROM drive letter with a hard-drive partition drive letter

4. Ad: mapping web site

5. hard drive letters above 'D' ??

6. posted files

7. CD Drive Won't Recognise Disc Change

8. Newbie:AI for a wargame.

9. Help..my system won't recognize my c: drive

10. Floopy drive doesn't recognize new disk?

11. DOS doesn't recognize fat 16 logical drive

12. boot disk won't recognize hard drives

13. Accessing the CDROM in a boot disk when you don't know drive letter