CWSDPMI under DOSEMU under Linux doesn't work.

CWSDPMI under DOSEMU under Linux doesn't work.

Post by Damian Yerric » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Mr. Sandmann:

Bring me a dream. :-)

I brought some DJGPP-built programs to my friend's
Linux PC and tried them under FreeDOS on DOSEMU.
They wouldn't run, even though I also brought along and
unzipped CWSDPMI.

Error message when I started my program:
66
Protected mode not accessible
Protected mode not accessible
Load error: no DPMI; get csdpmi*b.zip
99
I looked in cwsdpmi.doc:
66
"Protected mode not accessible."

This message should only be displayed if running CWSDPMI in a protected
environment with no access to protected mode.  In this case, DPMI should
already be available and CWSDPMI would not be needed.  I would like to
know if you see this message and DPMI is not available!
99

Ideas?

--
Damian Yerrick
CM 398, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology

CWSDPMI under DOSEMU under Linux doesn't work.

Post by Bradley A. Tow » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Damian,
        Quoting from the FreeDOS Project's "About" page at
http://www.freedos.org/about/index.html:  "At this time, it is not planned
to add enhancements or advanced features to FreeDOS such as multitasking,
protected mode operation, or a GUI."
        See if your friend would be willing to try DR-DOS under DOSEMU.  At
http://www.lineo.com/products/drdos.html, go to the bottom of the page and
download the HDIMAGE they've got for Linux.  (Linux users can use it for
non-commercial use.)  It's far more complete than FreeDOS, although it
doesn't have the coolness of being GPLed.  :)

---
Bradley A. Town (RHIT Class of '95, BTW)
Lead Software Engineer
Test Products, Inc.

CWSDPMI under DOSEMU under Linux doesn't work.

Post by Damian Yerric » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I had an idea that DOSEMU supports DPMI by itself, ie without the need
> to load a DPMI service provider such as CWSDPMI.

> After all, it can run DOOM, I remember reading... (I don't use DOSEMU
> myself).

id Software's Doom was built with Watcom not DJGPP.
It is DOS4GW not DPMI based.

Oh, and I'll try DR DOS; it may be more compatible than
FreeDOS.

Damian Yerrick
http://come.to/yerrick

Post by Davin McCa » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I had an idea that DOSEMU supports DPMI by itself, ie without the need
to load a DPMI service provider such as CWSDPMI.

After all, it can run DOOM, I remember reading... (I don't use DOSEMU
myself).

Davin.

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:02:48 -0500, "Damian Yerrick"

my programming page: http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~davmac/

Post by Eli Zaretski » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>         Quoting from the FreeDOS Project's "About" page at
> http://www.freedos.org/about/index.html:  "At this time, it is not planned
> to add enhancements or advanced features to FreeDOS such as multitasking,
> protected mode operation, or a GUI."

I don't think this is relevant to the problem at hand.  MS-DOS also
doesn't have any protected mode operation, but DJGPP programs still
run on MS-DOS, because CWSDPMI adds that capability to MS-DOS.  On
Linux, the DPMI services needed by DJGPP programs are supplied by
DOSEmu, so FreeDOS shouldn't be the problem.

CWSDPMI under DOSEMU under Linux doesn't work.

Post by Eli Zaretski » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I brought some DJGPP-built programs to my friend's
> Linux PC and tried them under FreeDOS on DOSEMU.
> They wouldn't run, even though I also brought along and
> unzipped CWSDPMI.

DOSEmu has its own DPMI server, so you shouldn't need CWSDPMI and you
shouldn't even try to use CWSDPMI.

If you load CWSDPMI manually *before* running DJGPP programs, don't:
it won't work, exactly like it doesn't on Windows.

If DJGPP programs run under DOSEmu claim there's no DPMI and ask for
csdpmi*b.zip, it probably means that DOSEmu's own DPMI services are
somehow disabled.  Either the DOSEmu docs or section 3.4 of the DJGPP
FAQ might help here.

Quote:> Error message when I started my program:

> Protected mode not accessible

This means that CWSDPMI tried switching the CPU into protected mode,
and that failed.  It's no surprise it fails on Linux: the CPU is
already in protected mode, so Linux doesn't allow to fiddle with the
PE flag in the CR0 register, which is what CWSDPMI does to enter PM.
The only way to go is to use the DOSEmu's built-in DPMI services.

1. ported app from linux->dos: fread() doesn't work

Hi,

I ported a data converter program from linux/x86 to msdos. the program
fread() data from a source, converts it, and fwrite() it. On linux, it
work witouth any problems.

On DOS, I compiled it with BC4.5 as well as with the latest DJGCC. Both
had the same problem: the 3rd or so fread() fails. It reads approx. from
byte 7000, and will read about 3000 bytes. The fread returns 0 for the
amount of read blocks, and an call to feof() tells me the eof was
reached. But my input file is >30M...

So, my question is, is there something DOS specific I overlooked? I
couldn't get any clue from the documentation, and perror() also returns
no error.

Thanks for any help,

Heiko

2. I'm back!!!

3. ANNOUNCE: Free-DOS working with Linux DOSEMU

4. Update - Installation of "WMI Management Extensions" for VS.NET

5. HELP! 'find' doesn't work

6. MIDI files urgently required

7. Help: 'WormHole' program doesn't work

8. Listserv for Series 5

9. Why doesn't 'set this something' work?

10. Works on WATCOM, doesn't work on DJGPP?

11. Fw: Use DJGPP-compiler in Linux's MSDOS-box ( dosemu ).

12. Use DJGPP-compiler in Linux's MSDOS-box ( dosemu ).

13. Running OLD djgpp program on Linux's DOSEMU