HELP: Insufficent memory to initialize Windows 3.1 in 386 enhanced mode

HELP: Insufficent memory to initialize Windows 3.1 in 386 enhanced mode

Post by Cary Y. Ts » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi there:

After I load my IDE CD-ROM driver (from config.sys), I cannot start up
my windows 3.1 session. I get "Insufficent memory of phsical space to
initialize Windows 3.1 in 386 enhanced mode". I use "mem/c" to check
my memory usage, I find I still have 616K conventional memory and 86K
in UMB. MS-DOS is in high memory blocki, and system has 5.12M of XMS
memory.

I don't think I have the memory problem, it must be something else.
Please tell me what should I do to bring up the Windows 3.1 session.

Any information would be appreciated.

--
Cary Y. Tsai                                    Tel: +65 279-2264 (work)

1. Question: why won't windows work in enhanced mode on 386?

I have installed windows 3.1 on my system. It works fine in standard mode,
but when I try enhanced mode, I get the sign-on screen and the system
hangs. Occasionally, I get to the program manager, but as soon as I click
on something, the system hangs. Everything seems to be normal in standard
mode, but it doesn't work in enhanced mode.

The system has a AMI Mark IV 33mhz 80386 motherboard with 8MB ram and an
IDE drive. It has a boca vga card with a ET4000. I have let windows create
its own config.sys and autoexec.bat. I have also made sure that those 2
files had only what was needed for windows. The system can run OS/2 warp,
linux, and netware 3.12. I also work on my own 80386 protected mode stuff.
Everything except windows works, and I can't figure out why.

If this is not the right group to post this, please let me know which is
and I will try and get to that group. (I have very few newsgroups
available on my system)

Thanks...

   Scott C. Sadow

2. FP2K and database query

3. Detecting Windows 386 enhanced mode from DOS

4. TimeSink

5. Can't access COM4 under Windows 386 enhanced mode

6. need help with programming on PowerChallenge

7. 386 enhached mode win 3.1

8. Another problem with spacing

9. Bug in BC 3.1 in 386 mode.

10. Problem with 386/Max and Windows 3.1

11. Omnipage 386 v3.10 and Windows 3.1: No happs.

12. I need Ctrl-Ins in BC 3.1 again

13. Need HELP accessing physical memory from Windows 3.1/BC++ 4.0