How to calculate the HD volume number?

Post by Holger Venu » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

does anybody knows how the hard disk volume number is
calculated. These number is based on the day and the actual
time after formatting the (hard) disk. I believe the number is
coded in a fife byte array.
Where is these number placed on HD? It is just before the
disk label on a floppy.

Thankx for any reply.

Holger

Post by S. Widla » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>>does anybody knows how the hard disk volume number is
>>calculated. These number is based on the day and the actual
>>time after formatting the (hard) disk. I believe the number is
>>coded in a fife byte array.
>>Where is these number placed on HD? It is just before the
>>disk label on a floppy.

In the boot sector together with a copy of the volume label.

DOS 4.xx and up.

Must We ?

Quote:>I have done a little (very little) research on this. I arrived
>at the conclusion that it is nothing more than a hash of the
>time of day. possibly to the hundredth of a second. It is not
>created for the purpose of determining the actual date and time,

Correct.

Quote:>but serves only as a (IMO weak) security function. Of course,

Incorrect.

Quote:>there also lies the possibility that there is an additional tag
>applied somewhere in Cyl-0 Side-1 Sector-1, to verify whether or
>not the serial number has been hacked. Below is a bit of info I

Isn't. It's almost entirely pointless.

Quote:>gathered. I believe this subject would be better clarified in
>the comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage newsgroup, so I have also
>directed this followup to that group.
>SN is located on Cyl-0 and easily changed with a hex
>editor that can gain direct access the HDD:
>This is an example of a harddisk which has a
>Serial Number of 0123:4567 (real cryptic, eh?) I edited this
>one myself using Norton Diskedit --
>MS-Dos 5 formatted
>Physical Sector: Cyl 0, Side 1, Sector 1
>000000:   EB 3C 90 4D 53 44 4F 53 - 35 2E 30 00 02 04 01 00
>000010:   02 00 02 00 00 F8 F9 00 - 11 00 0F 00 11 00 00 00
>000020:   07 E4 03 00 80 00 29 67 - 45 23 01 4E 4F 20 4E 41
>===============================^^===^^=^^=^^===============
>000030:   4D 45 20 20 20 20 46 41 - 54 31 36 20 20 20 FA 33

See. Not such a big deal really.

S.;-)

- --
.sig II Found and Restored ...

1. How to calculate the HD volume number?

Hi,

does anybody knows how the hard disk volume number is
calculated. These number is based on the day and the actual
time after formatting the (hard) disk. I believe the number is
coded in a fife byte array.
Where is these number placed on HD? It is just before the
disk label on a floppy.

Thankx for any reply.

Holger

2. HP 660c

3. checking HD's volume serial number

4. Moebius . . .

5. How does VOL get the "Volume Serial Number" of a HD?

6. NEW ROM TRANSLATION STARTED... NEED TRANSLATORS!!!!!

7. Please help ! How does DOS calculate HD size

8. Prise de contacr

9. How do I change the Volume Serial Num on my HD ??

10. DBLSPACE: mount a volume on second HD

11. Replacing volume lable on a diskette or HD

12. Volume Serial Number - How to change it?

13. Reading Volume Serial Numbers in C