EMM386 error #06?

Post by John H. K » Mon, 24 Jan 1994 14:01:39

A friend of mine is trying to upgrade the DOS on his PS/Note 425C
(TP350 clone) from MS-DOS 6.0 to 6.2.  After installing the upgrade,
the config.sys and autoexec.bat are the same, but when starting
Windows, the computer comes up with the following message:

EMM386 has detected error #06 in an application
at memory address 00B8:0BC9. To minimize the chance
of data loss, EMM386 has halted your computer.
For more information, see the README.TXT file.

The readme.txt doesn't say what an error #06 is.  I've eliminated
everything from the config.sys and autoexec.bat except:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE HIGHSCAN NOEMS I=E800-EFFF MIN=512

and the error still occurs.  The entire autoexec.bat and config.sys
worked fine with MSDOS 6.0.  Does anyone know what's going on?
Is this latop incompatible with DOS 6.2?  Reply by email please.
Thanks.
--
John H. Kim              | (This space to be filled when I think of

EMM386 error #06?

Post by Navi Sin » Mon, 24 Jan 1994 14:35:18

>A friend of mine is trying to upgrade the DOS on his PS/Note 425C
>(TP350 clone) from MS-DOS 6.0 to 6.2.  After installing the upgrade,
>the config.sys and autoexec.bat are the same, but when starting
>Windows, the computer comes up with the following message:

>EMM386 has detected error #06 in an application
>at memory address 00B8:0BC9. To minimize the chance
>of data loss, EMM386 has halted your computer.
>For more information, see the README.TXT file.

>The readme.txt doesn't say what an error #06 is.  I've eliminated
>everything from the config.sys and autoexec.bat except:

>DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
>DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE HIGHSCAN NOEMS I=E800-EFFF MIN=512

>and the error still occurs.  The entire autoexec.bat and config.sys
>worked fine with MSDOS 6.0.  Does anyone know what's going on?
>Is this latop incompatible with DOS 6.2?  Reply by email please.
>Thanks.
>--
>John H. Kim              | (This space to be filled when I think of

I had the same problem.  Just changed the DEVICE=\Dos\emm386 ...
statement to:
device=c:\dos\emm386.exe
i.e. I removed the parameters highscan, noems, i, min.
This is what the IBM Express people told me to do.
I own the monochrome version.  I don't know whether the same fix
will work for you.  Why not call up IBM-EXpress?  Their number is in
the manual and also in the ps-note fitness program that comes with the
notebook.

Navi

EMM386 error #06?

Post by Henrik St|rn » Mon, 24 Jan 1994 23:23:14

>A friend of mine is trying to upgrade the DOS on his PS/Note 425C
>(TP350 clone) from MS-DOS 6.0 to 6.2.  After installing the upgrade,
>the config.sys and autoexec.bat are the same, but when starting
>Windows, the computer comes up with the following message:

>EMM386 has detected error #06 in an application
>at memory address 00B8:0BC9. To minimize the chance
>of data loss, EMM386 has halted your computer.
>For more information, see the README.TXT file.

>The readme.txt doesn't say what an error #06 is.  I've eliminated
>everything from the config.sys and autoexec.bat except:

>DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
>DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE HIGHSCAN NOEMS I=E800-EFFF MIN=512

>and the error still occurs.  The entire autoexec.bat and config.sys
>worked fine with MSDOS 6.0.  Does anyone know what's going on?

Sounds like emm386 is stepping on some part of memory that it should leave
alone. Try removing the 'I=E000-EFFF' part of the emm386 line, and see
if that helps. If it does, you can try adding part of that memory
space back in, e.g. insert a 'I=E000-E7FF' or 'I=E800-EFFF'. Unfortu-
nately, DOS does not come with some of the more sophisticated tools for
analyzing these problems, such as Manifest that comes with QEMM, so your
only option is to try it and see what works and what doesn't.
--
Henrik Storner              | "I love deadlines.  I like the whooshing sound

                            |                            Douglas Adams

1. EMM386 error #06: specifics?

I am getting the EMM386 error #06 once a day or so.  Does anyone
know exactly what error #06 is?  The readme file in DOS explains
errors #12 and #13 somewhat, but is vague on others.

Any suggestions on including or excluding UMBs (or on any other
parameter) in the installation of EMM386 in CONFIG.SYS?  Should
I switch to QEMM or another memory manager just to get rid of
this error?

I should mention that I generally load a comm program, WordPerfect
6.1 for Windows, Lotus 123 Release 5 for Win, and one or two
other programs; the lockup occurs most often during an ALT-TAB
switch between the open applications.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen Bradley

2. The Well-Tempered Unix Application

3. EMM386 error #06 ?

4. Problem with Orchid 1280+ VLB

5. EMM386 error #06

6. Windows Updates

7. CW Java: Debugger() and DebugStr()

8. emm386 error #06

9. emm386 exception error #06

10. ? emm386 exception error 06

11. EMM386 has detected error #06... !!!

12. EMM386 has detected error #06 ???