autoexec.bat and understanding bat files

autoexec.bat and understanding bat files

Post by Cherga » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:31:58

When one uses notepad.exe to open autoexec.bat, the document looks like a
software program code resembling BASIC.

What does autoexec.bat do, and how can we use it or change it to do different
things?  How does autoexec.bat do its things?  Can we write new autoexec.bat
files with other names  (somethingsomething.bat) for any reason?

G C

autoexec.bat and understanding bat files

Post by Cherga » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:34:01

OK, I see there is a FAQ, after I just asked a question about batch files. Now
time for me to check that FAQ message.

G C

autoexec.bat and understanding bat files

Post by Andreas Kaestne » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:51:07

Quote:> OK, I see there is a FAQ, after I just asked a question about batch
> files. Now time for me to check that FAQ message.

You may wish to have a look at

o  http://www3.sympatico.ca/rhwatson/dos7/commandintro.html
o  the newsgroup alt.msdos.batch
   (or http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=alt.msdos.batch)
o  Batch FAQ material: http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

--
Gru?,             |  Bitte in der NG antworten  |  German MS-MVPs:
Regards, Andreas  |  Please reply to the NG     |  http://www.ms-mvp.de

1. How do I extend path in autoexec.bat file?

Dear Netters!

Excuse me if this question has been asked before. By default, DOS ignores
anything after 120 characters in the path statement in the autoexec.bat
file. Is there a way I can avoid this limit so that I do not have to type
the whole path name or switch to particular directories to run some of my
applications?

Thanx.
Vinod

2. IEEE transactions Bibtex style - sorted

3. Esoteric Dos question 2, multiple autoexec.bat files

4. Canon BJC-250

5. Edit Autoexec.bat from a batch file

6. Foreign commands: History?

7. Using multiple autoexec.bat & multiple config.sys files

8. close modal dialog on leave

9. DIRCMD in autoexec.bat files...

10. MEMMAKER in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file?

11. Need Info on Autoexec.bat files