interlnk.exe on windows 2000?

Post by Jonathan Dinerste » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 01:44:01

I am trying to use an old palmtop computer, which has no disk drives.
It's only way to transfer files is through the old dos program
intersvr.exe.  So I need to run interlnk.exe on my desktop computer.
However, this is proving challenging.  I'm running windows 2000.  I've
added "device=c:\interlnk.exe" to my config.nt.  However, when I then
try to run interlnk to map the drive, it reports that it cannot
establish a connection (the computers are linked with a serial null
modem cable).  The system also warns that interlnk.exe is trying to
run a 16-bit dos device driver which is not supported.

Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?  Or do i simply have to
run Windows 95/98 to use this dos program?

Please respond via email.  Thanks in advance for any info =).

Jonathan Dinerstein

Post by John McCa » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 01:53:46

>I am trying to use an old palmtop computer, which has no disk drives.
>It's only way to transfer files is through the old dos program
>intersvr.exe.  So I need to run interlnk.exe on my desktop computer.
>However, this is proving challenging.  I'm running windows 2000.  I've
>added "device=c:\interlnk.exe" to my config.nt.  However, when I then
>try to run interlnk to map the drive, it reports that it cannot
>establish a connection (the computers are linked with a serial null
>modem cable).  The system also warns that interlnk.exe is trying to
>run a 16-bit dos device driver which is not supported.

This is true. Interlnk/intersvr is not supported under Windows 2000.

Quote:>Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?  Or do i simply have to
>run Windows 95/98 to use this dos program?

It depends on whether you have access to a FAT formatted hard drive.
The obvious solution is, if you *do* have a FAT hard drive (as opposed
to NTFS) is to boot the machine via floppy into DOS with interlnk
loaded and run it that way. You'd then be doing all the copying by
hand though.

Win95 would obviously be better as at least you'd have windows
explorer.

Unfortunately however this isn't something that is ever going to be
simple with Win2k if you have an NTFS drive, although you can find DOS
based NTFS reader/writers available!

Quote:>Please respond via email.

no :-)

Quote:>Thanks in advance for any info =).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Post by Robert Riebisc » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:27:13

> Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?  Or do i simply have to
> run Windows 95/98 to use this dos program?

Try ZIP 2.21 from:
http://home.att.net/~short.stop/vde.htm#moredos

--
Robert Riebisch
Bitte NUR in der Newsgroup antworten!

interlnk.exe on windows 2000?

Post by Jonathan Dinerste » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:28:54

Quote:> The obvious solution is, if you *do* have a FAT hard drive (as opposed
> to NTFS) is to boot the machine via floppy into DOS with interlnk
> loaded and run it that way. You'd then be doing all the copying by
> hand though.

This sounds like a good solution (and simple enough).  I just ran into
an interesting little problem, though.  How can I make a bootable
floppy under windows 2000?  I know you can do it easy (GUI option)
under win95 on the format dialog, but this appears to be gone under
2000.  Will I have to get a special utility?

Thanks!

Jonathan Dinerstein

Post by Marco van de Voor » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:25:49

>> The obvious solution is, if you *do* have a FAT hard drive (as opposed
>> to NTFS) is to boot the machine via floppy into DOS with interlnk
>> loaded and run it that way. You'd then be doing all the copying by
>> hand though.

> This sounds like a good solution (and simple enough).  I just ran into
> an interesting little problem, though.  How can I make a bootable
> floppy under windows 2000?  I know you can do it easy (GUI option)
> under win95 on the format dialog, but this appears to be gone under
> 2000.  Will I have to get a special utility?

Yes, something that is actually Dos.

IOW Windows NT4/2000/XP is not dos based like w9x/ME, but based on the
totally independant NT branch of Windows.

The best way would be to download some imaging program (like winimage or so),
and an image of a dos bootdisc.

I only used Windows based imaging tools once though, (to create something
2.88 MB bootable for a CD), since I usually use unix built in DD.

If you have somewhat recent hardware that can boot from CD, it can often be
handier to make a 2.88 MB bootfloppy to burn on CD. More space.

interlnk.exe on windows 2000?

Post by bu » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:03:57

'Lo Marco:

Group: comp.os.msdos.misc Date: Mon, Jul 14, 2003, 11:25pm (CDT+5) From:

script:

Quote:>> Will I have to get a special utility?

>Yes, something that is actually Dos.

I don't know about W2K, however I read recently that XP will put a copy
of MSDOS 8 (WME) on a floppy when you 'SYS' it.

salaam,
dowcom

--
http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

DOShead Credo:
a) Try it!  It might work.
b) GOTO  a).

interlnk.exe on windows 2000?

Post by John McCa » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:34:54

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:27:13 +0200, Robert Riebisch

>> Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?  Or do i simply have to
>> run Windows 95/98 to use this dos program?

>Try ZIP 2.21 from:
>http://home.att.net/~short.stop/vde.htm#moredos

And that works under Win2k does it?

Post by Robert Riebisc » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:04:22

> And that works under Win2k does it?

No, sorry. :-(

"ZIP has worked reliably for some Windows NT users, but not for many
others; chances of success are probably no better under Win2000 or XP."

--

Post by DONALD G. DAVI » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:10:09

>>I am trying to use an old palmtop computer, which has no disk drives.
>>It's only way to transfer files is through the old dos program
>>intersvr.exe.  So I need to run interlnk.exe on my desktop computer.
>>However, this is proving challenging.  I'm running windows 2000.  I've
>>added "device=c:\interlnk.exe" to my config.nt.  However, when I then
>>try to run interlnk to map the drive, it reports that it cannot
>>establish a connection (the computers are linked with a serial null
>>modem cable).  The system also warns that interlnk.exe is trying to
>>run a 16-bit dos device driver which is not supported.
>This is true. Interlnk/intersvr is not supported under Windows 2000.
>>Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?  Or do i simply have to
>>run Windows 95/98 to use this dos program?
>It depends on whether you have access to a FAT formatted hard drive.
>The obvious solution is, if you *do* have a FAT hard drive (as opposed
>to NTFS) is to boot the machine via floppy into DOS with interlnk
>loaded and run it that way. You'd then be doing all the copying by
>hand though.
>Win95 would obviously be better as at least you'd have windows
>explorer.
>Unfortunately however this isn't something that is ever going to be
>simple with Win2k if you have an NTFS drive, although you can find DOS
>based NTFS reader/writers available!

        INTERLNK/INTERSVR also do not support FAT32, and can destroy data
if writing to a FAT32 drive.  So if using these programs under Win9x DOS,
be very sure that only FAT16 drives are involved.
                                                        --Donald Davis

Post by Ian G » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 03:45:13

>>>I am trying to use an old palmtop computer, which has no disk
>>>drives. It's only way to transfer files is through the old dos
>>>program intersvr.exe.  So I need to run interlnk.exe on my desktop
>>>computer. However, this is proving challenging.  I'm running
>>>windows 2000.  I've added "device=c:\interlnk.exe" to my
>>>config.nt.  However, when I then try to run interlnk to map the
>>>drive, it reports that it cannot establish a connection (the
>>>computers are linked with a serial null modem cable).  The system
>>>also warns that interlnk.exe is trying to run a 16-bit dos device
>>>driver which is not supported.

>>This is true. Interlnk/intersvr is not supported under Windows
>>2000.

>>>Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?  Or do i simply
>>>have to run Windows 95/98 to use this dos program?

>>It depends on whether you have access to a FAT formatted hard
>>drive. The obvious solution is, if you *do* have a FAT hard drive
>>(as opposed to NTFS) is to boot the machine via floppy into DOS
>>with interlnk loaded and run it that way. You'd then be doing all
>>the copying by hand though.

>>Win95 would obviously be better as at least you'd have windows
>>explorer.

>>Unfortunately however this isn't something that is ever going to be
>>simple with Win2k if you have an NTFS drive, although you can find
>>DOS based NTFS reader/writers available!

>     INTERLNK/INTERSVR also do not support FAT32, and can destroy
>     data
>if writing to a FAT32 drive.  So if using these programs under Win9x
>DOS, be very sure that only FAT16 drives are involved.
>                                   --Donald Davis

On the other hand, FileMaven will do the job in W95 & 98 and is ok with
FAT32 drives. Still doesn't work with NT, 2k etc.
--
... To reply by email, make double u single in address ...

Post by John McCa » Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:50:19

>On the other hand, FileMaven will do the job in W95 & 98 and is ok with
>FAT32 drives. Still doesn't work with NT, 2k etc.

Does FileMaven map your remote drives in to Windows Explorer to allow
drag and drop file manipulation from Win95?

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

interlnk.exe on windows 2000?

Post by John McCa » Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:51:04

Quote:>    INTERLNK/INTERSVR also do not support FAT32, and can destroy data
>if writing to a FAT32 drive.  So if using these programs under Win9x DOS,
>be very sure that only FAT16 drives are involved.

Thanks for explicitly pointing that out - my use of FAT was intended
to be FAT16.

Post by Ian G » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 03:58:56

>>On the other hand, FileMaven will do the job in W95 & 98 and is ok with
>>FAT32 drives. Still doesn't work with NT, 2k etc.

>Does FileMaven map your remote drives in to Windows Explorer to allow
>drag and drop file manipulation from Win95?

No, it's a dos program, which has its own 'character-mode gui'. Works fine in a
W98 dos box, in my experience.

Ian

Post by John McCa » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:10:11

>>>On the other hand, FileMaven will do the job in W95 & 98 and is ok with
>>>FAT32 drives. Still doesn't work with NT, 2k etc.

>>Does FileMaven map your remote drives in to Windows Explorer to allow
>>drag and drop file manipulation from Win95?

>No, it's a dos program, which has its own 'character-mode gui'. Works fine in a
>W98 dos box, in my experience.

I though that was the answer. I tried FileMaven some time ago for a
similar requirment but didn't like it.

When you install interlnk as a driver on a Windows 95 machine you can
see and access the remote drives as removable drives in Windows
Explorer.

Post by Roger Hamlet » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:15:23

> > The obvious solution is, if you *do* have a FAT hard drive (as opposed
> > to NTFS) is to boot the machine via floppy into DOS with interlnk
> > loaded and run it that way. You'd then be doing all the copying by
> > hand though.

> This sounds like a good solution (and simple enough).  I just ran into
> an interesting little problem, though.  How can I make a bootable
> floppy under windows 2000?  I know you can do it easy (GUI option)
> under win95 on the format dialog, but this appears to be gone under
> 2000.  Will I have to get a special utility?

> Thanks!

> Jonathan Dinerstein

If you have server (as opposed to professional), there is a directory on the
CD, containing tools to make boot disks for network clients. These create a
disk 'set', but you can remove the client tools to just leave a basic boot
disk. Otherwise, just go to www.bootdisk.com, and download a bootdisk image.

Best Wishes