Recover files using Recover command in DOS

Recover files using Recover command in DOS

Post by vidur kapo » Sun, 19 Jun 1994 23:11:04

What is the way to recover files in DOS using recover command. I used
it and it created lots of files with the .rec extension.

Is there some way to get the original files back.

Post by Jim Denn » Mon, 20 Jun 1994 17:20:42

: What is the way to recover files in DOS using recover command. I used
: it and it created lots of files with the .rec extension.

: Is there some way to get the original files back.

        RUN!  DON'T WALK!

        Get a copy of the Norton Utilities.  DO NOT ALLOW THAT MACHINE
        TO BE USED IN ANY WAY UNTIL YOU DO!

        As soon as you get NU (just about any version will do) try
        the Recover from DOS RECOVER command.

        (you may want to look for professional help as well).

        After you've gotten over this mess go to every PC to which you
        have access and delete the following commands:

                        RECOVER, FDISK, APPEND, and FASTOPEN

        Each of these commands have caused more lost data than all the
        viruses and all the bugs in all the other programs in the
        history of computing.  They are EVIL and danderous.

        (And did I say I don't like them very much).

--
JaDeStar
                "With commands like these, WHO NEEDS enemies"

Post by Osmo Ronkan » Mon, 20 Jun 1994 23:57:50

>: What is the way to recover files in DOS using recover command. I used
>: it and it created lots of files with the .rec extension.

>: Is there some way to get the original files back.

>    RUN!  DON'T WALK!

>    Get a copy of the Norton Utilities.  DO NOT ALLOW THAT MACHINE
>    TO BE USED IN ANY WAY UNTIL YOU DO!

>    As soon as you get NU (just about any version will do) try
>    the Recover from DOS RECOVER command.

>    (you may want to look for professional help as well).

>    After you've gotten over this mess go to every PC to which you
>    have access and delete the following commands:

>                    RECOVER, FDISK, APPEND, and FASTOPEN

>    Each of these commands have caused more lost data than all the
>    viruses and all the bugs in all the other programs in the
>    history of computing.  They are EVIL and danderous.

How is FDISK evil. It is a tool just like hammer. If you do not know how
to use it you may make harm with it. However in some cases you need
that. I personally think FDISK is quite safe. It gives plenty of
warnings before you delete a partition. It just is that some people do
not believe the warnings.

Quote:

>    (And did I say I don't like them very much).

>--
>JaDeStar
>            "With commands like these, WHO NEEDS enemies"

Osmo

Post by Jen Kilm » Sat, 25 Jun 1994 10:51:41

>>: What is the way to recover files in DOS using recover command. I used
>>: it and it created lots of files with the .rec extension.

[References to Norton Utilities' Recover from Recover command....]

FWIW, one can also recover from this by zeroing the root directory
(turning all of the .rec files into lost chains) and then using
MS-DOS 6.2x's ScanDisk utility.

-jen

--

"I come from an area where there was not a lot of success. I don't know
anyone who made a record before me. I didn't know anybody who had made

1. Recovering files AFTER using RECOVER

This will probably generate some knowing smiles but bear with me.

A woman who works with me did the following:
In order to make more room on her C: drive  she moved the ENTIRE
DOS directory to D:
Why that of all directories?  "I never use the stuff, I only use
Windows."  OK - she didn't know the gun was loaded.
Surprise (to her) - she couldnt reboot the computer!
Not a complete fool, she used a floppy disk with sys on it to reboot,
but everything was GONE! - or so she thought.
No she didn't reformat, she's not a complete fool.
She used RECOVER to get everything back.
She now has a bunch of files (0001.REC - 0180.REC) which don't yield anything
but gibberish when she uses the TYPE command.
I figure the best thing to do is let her rebuild the applications, but
there is ONE file in there that is very important (not important enough to
have backups - but really important for her job).  It is a database of all
her customer contacts,etc.
Does anybody have a simple solution to the following problem:
How do you locate and properly restore the data set?

Any answers will be appreciated, helpful answers will REALLY be appreciated
and CORRECT answers will REALLY, REALLY be appreciated.

If you can't help I hope you at least enjoyed the story.

Please send responses to me at the following e-mail address:

Thanks - we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming already in progress.

-Peter

2. Reading Parameters from a file

3. Help needed to recover MS DOS 6.0 double-spaced archive file

4. New SD Memory Card

5. Recovering Doublespace files in DOS 6.2

6. How to recover files after a DOS quick format?

7. RECOVERING BACKUP FILES W/O CATALOG FILE

8. recovering deleted files

9. Recovering the system.ini file for Pavilion 8160

10. Help me recover files from a damaged floppy!

11. Can deleted files be recovered ?