boot disk won't recognize hard drives

Post by Roxinat » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am in the process of deleting Win95 and installing Win98.  I have gotten very
good advice so far via the web. .. I am testing a bootable floppy that I
created with the necessary cdrom drivers.  I am able to get to drive a:
(floppy) and my cdrom (defaults to C:) but not to any of my hard drives
(normally C: through G:)  I have searched the archives of past newsgroup
problems and can't find advice on this one.  Any suggestions?

thanks,
Chris H.

boot disk won't recognize hard drives

Post by Ted Davi » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I am in the process of deleting Win95 and installing Win98.  I have gotten very
>good advice so far via the web. .. I am testing a bootable floppy that I
>created with the necessary cdrom drivers.  I am able to get to drive a:
>(floppy) and my cdrom (defaults to C:) but not to any of my hard drives
>(normally C: through G:)  I have searched the archives of past newsgroup
>problems and can't find advice on this one.  Any suggestions?

This is normal if the disk is blank or formatted with a file system
not recognized by the boot disk's OS (or the partition table is
damaged).  My guess is that you used FDISK on the drive, but did not
recreate any partitions.

boot disk won't recognize hard drives

Post by Eek » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Make sure your partitions are valid.  Run FDISK...

Quote:> Hi,

> I am in the process of deleting Win95 and installing Win98.  I have gotten
very
> good advice so far via the web. .. I am testing a bootable floppy that I
> created with the necessary cdrom drivers.  I am able to get to drive a:
> (floppy) and my cdrom (defaults to C:) but not to any of my hard drives
> (normally C: through G:)  I have searched the archives of past newsgroup
> problems and can't find advice on this one.  Any suggestions?

> thanks,
> Chris H.

boot disk won't recognize hard drives

Post by Eek » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Also one other thing,

The Original Windows 95 didn't support FAT32.  If your boot disk is based on
windows 95, get a windows 95sr2 or windows 98 boot disk...

> >Hi,

> >I am in the process of deleting Win95 and installing Win98.  I have
gotten very
> >good advice so far via the web. .. I am testing a bootable floppy that I
> >created with the necessary cdrom drivers.  I am able to get to drive a:
> >(floppy) and my cdrom (defaults to C:) but not to any of my hard drives
> >(normally C: through G:)  I have searched the archives of past newsgroup
> >problems and can't find advice on this one.  Any suggestions?

> This is normal if the disk is blank or formatted with a file system
> not recognized by the boot disk's OS (or the partition table is
> damaged).  My guess is that you used FDISK on the drive, but did not
> recreate any partitions.

> SPAM filter: Messages to this address *must* contain "T.E.D."
> somewhere in the body or they will be automatically rejected.

boot disk won't recognize hard drives

Post by Eric Lea » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Another thing...

    If your harddisks are SCSI devices, you may need to load up DOS scsi
drivers for them to be properly detected.  Same goes for some of the newer
fancy schmacy ATA-100 add-on cards.

-Eleaf

-----------prev messg snippd-------------

1. Bootable DOS Disk won't Recognise Second Hard Disk

Hi guys

I have created a bootable MS-DOS disk from Windows 98 Second Edition. I'm
having trouble because DOS will not recognise the second hard disk (which is
properly formatted as FAT32). I can see the first drive no problem (as C:)
but the second drive simply isn't there! If I boot in to Win2K, I can see
the second drive no problem (Win2K is install on the primary hard disk, and
Win98SE is on the second hard disk. My other problem is that since
re-installing Win2K, I can't boot Win98, so I'm going to try re-installing
Win98SE).

Any suggestions as to what I can do to make it recognise the second drive
through D:...?

Thanks,

Benjy

2. A1000 CLtd. SCSI Controller

3. Can't restore NTFS boot hard disk to FAT boot hard disk

4. Parallel object messaging benchmark

5. CD Drive Won't Recognise Disc Change

6. 1.)dgl error 2.)syscalls for mem

7. Hard disk won't boot

8. Q: SBS Fax Server cover pages, copies to Sent Items, etc?

9. HELP: hard drive won't boot

10. Hard drive won't boot.

11. dos won't recognize hard druve

12. Help..my system won't recognize my c: drive

13. Floppy Disk Drive Not Recognized at Boot Time