load devices from ramdrive?

Post by fleks » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:08:12

at the beginning there were these lines (all files load from floppy):

DEVICE=A:\msnet\protman.dos /i:A:\msnet
DEVICE=A:\msnet\workgrp.sys
DEVICE=A:\msnet\pcntnd.dos

this is the first thing i tried: replace A: with %RAMD%: (there's a line in
autoexec that unpacks msnet archive to %RAMD%, with full path preservation
and it works, alas autoexec loads only after config.sys)

DEVICE=%RAMD%:\msnet\protman.dos /i:%RAMD%:\msnet
DEVICE=%RAMD%:\msnet\workgrp.sys
DEVICE=%RAMD%:\msnet\pcntnd.dos

it didn't work out right, so i tried a less ambitious route (load drivers
from floppy but set the protman's /i switch to %RAMD% so i could copy all
other network files there - but that did not work either):

DEVICE=A:\msnet\protman.dos /i:%RAMD%:\msnet
DEVICE=A:\msnet\workgrp.sys
DEVICE=A:\msnet\pcntnd.dos

sos

load devices from ramdrive?

Post by Ted Davi » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:35:02

Quote:>at the beginning there were these lines (all files load from floppy):

>DEVICE=A:\msnet\protman.dos /i:A:\msnet
>DEVICE=A:\msnet\workgrp.sys
>DEVICE=A:\msnet\pcntnd.dos

>this is the first thing i tried: replace A: with %RAMD%: (there's a line in
>autoexec that unpacks msnet archive to %RAMD%, with full path preservation
>and it works, alas autoexec loads only after config.sys)

>DEVICE=%RAMD%:\msnet\protman.dos /i:%RAMD%:\msnet
>DEVICE=%RAMD%:\msnet\workgrp.sys
>DEVICE=%RAMD%:\msnet\pcntnd.dos

>it didn't work out right, so i tried a less ambitious route (load drivers
>from floppy but set the protman's /i switch to %RAMD% so i could copy all
>other network files there - but that did not work either):

>DEVICE=A:\msnet\protman.dos /i:%RAMD%:\msnet
>DEVICE=A:\msnet\workgrp.sys
>DEVICE=A:\msnet\pcntnd.dos

Most likely the RAMDRIVE is installed as a device in CONFIG.SYS - you
have to copy the files to it before you can use it, and that won't
happen until the command processor is running, which occurs *after*
all CONFIG.SYS processing.

A common procedure is to create the RAMDRIVE and copy the files there,
then install the network with NET.  A good plan is either to use
Bart's boot disk or to learn how by reverse engineering it and build
you own. (<http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/modboot/>)

load devices from ramdrive?

Post by fleks » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:50:00

but how can i load

protman.dos
workgroup.sys
pcntnd.dos

they're all drivers...

i know i can start the network with net but these are drivers

> >at the beginning there were these lines (all files load from floppy):

> >DEVICE=A:\msnet\protman.dos /i:A:\msnet
> >DEVICE=A:\msnet\workgrp.sys
> >DEVICE=A:\msnet\pcntnd.dos

> >this is the first thing i tried: replace A: with %RAMD%: (there's a line
in
> >autoexec that unpacks msnet archive to %RAMD%, with full path
preservation
> >and it works, alas autoexec loads only after config.sys)

> >DEVICE=%RAMD%:\msnet\protman.dos /i:%RAMD%:\msnet
> >DEVICE=%RAMD%:\msnet\workgrp.sys
> >DEVICE=%RAMD%:\msnet\pcntnd.dos

> >----------------------------------------------------

> >it didn't work out right, so i tried a less ambitious route (load drivers
> >from floppy but set the protman's /i switch to %RAMD% so i could copy all
> >other network files there - but that did not work either):

> >DEVICE=A:\msnet\protman.dos /i:%RAMD%:\msnet
> >DEVICE=A:\msnet\workgrp.sys
> >DEVICE=A:\msnet\pcntnd.dos

> Most likely the RAMDRIVE is installed as a device in CONFIG.SYS - you
> have to copy the files to it before you can use it, and that won't
> happen until the command processor is running, which occurs *after*
> all CONFIG.SYS processing.

> A common procedure is to create the RAMDRIVE and copy the files there,
> then install the network with NET.  A good plan is either to use
> Bart's boot disk or to learn how by reverse engineering it and build
> you own. (<http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/modboot/>)

.sig in the body)

load devices from ramdrive?

Post by Ted Davi » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 10:16:14

Quote:>but how can i load

>protman.dos
>workgroup.sys
>pcntnd.dos

>they're all drivers...

>i know i can start the network with net but these are drivers

You don't have to load MS network in CONFIG.SYS.  In fact, the .dos
files may intended to be loaded by NET INIT under control of
SYSTEM.INI or PROTOCOL.INI.

Do it the way Bart does and it *will* work.

I used to think I knew how to make boot disks, install networks, etc.
- then I reverse engineered Bart's Modboot disk and recognized the
hand of a master.

load devices from ramdrive?

Post by fleks » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:58:52

> >but how can i load

> >protman.dos
> >workgroup.sys
> >pcntnd.dos

> >they're all drivers...

> >i know i can start the network with net but these are drivers

> You don't have to load MS network in CONFIG.SYS.  In fact, the .dos
> files may intended to be loaded by NET INIT under control of
> SYSTEM.INI or PROTOCOL.INI.

> Do it the way Bart does and it *will* work.

> I used to think I knew how to make boot disks, install networks, etc.
> - then I reverse engineered Bart's Modboot disk and recognized the
> hand of a master.

.sig in the body)

could you show me an example of how i could load these three files without
config.sys?

load devices from ramdrive?

Post by Ted Davi » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:56:02

>> >but how can i load

>> >protman.dos
>> >workgroup.sys
>> >pcntnd.dos

>> >they're all drivers...

>> >i know i can start the network with net but these are drivers

>> You don't have to load MS network in CONFIG.SYS.  In fact, the .dos
>> files may intended to be loaded by NET INIT under control of
>> SYSTEM.INI or PROTOCOL.INI.

>> Do it the way Bart does and it *will* work.

>> I used to think I knew how to make boot disks, install networks, etc.
>> - then I reverse engineered Bart's Modboot disk and recognized the
>> hand of a master.

>.sig in the body)

>could you show me an example of how i could load these three files without
>config.sys?

I don't think we use those particular files, but I haven't seen any MS
network for DOS files that were loaded in CONFIG.SYS except IFSHLP.  I
won't be able to look at what we are doing before Monday.

You may need a different network client.

load devices from ramdrive?

Post by fleks » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 01:37:30

ok, then, thanks!
if you find out anything on the topic please let me now.

> >> You don't have to load MS network in CONFIG.SYS.  In fact, the .dos
> >> files may intended to be loaded by NET INIT under control of
> >> SYSTEM.INI or PROTOCOL.INI.

> >> Do it the way Bart does and it *will* work.

> >> I used to think I knew how to make boot disks, install networks, etc.
> >> - then I reverse engineered Bart's Modboot disk and recognized the
> >> hand of a master.

my
> >.sig in the body)

> >could you show me an example of how i could load these three files
without
> >config.sys?

> I don't think we use those particular files, but I haven't seen any MS
> network for DOS files that were loaded in CONFIG.SYS except IFSHLP.  I
> won't be able to look at what we are doing before Monday.

> You may need a different network client.

.sig in the body)

load devices from ramdrive?

Post by Ted Davi » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:55:35

Quote:>ok, then, thanks!
>if you find out anything on the topic please let me now.

I don't know about workgroup.sys and pcntnd.dos, but you definitely
don't have to put protman.dos in CONFIG.SYS - STARTNET.BAT loads it,
but it is never specifically referred to ... the network loader just
knows to load it.

pcntnd.dos appears to be the NIC driver - it would not be loaded in
CONFIG.SYS either ... it is described in the config files and loaded
by one of the commands in STARTNET.BAT.

A typical STARTNET.BAT file - derived from Bart's Modboot work is

  LH net initialize
  netbind.com
  LH umb.com
  tcptsr.exe
  IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO startnet_end
  tinyrfc.exe
  IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO startnet_end
  nmtsr.exe
  IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO startnet_end
  LH emsbfr.exe
  LH net start workstation
  net logon
  :startnet_end

load devices from ramdrive?

Post by fleks » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:00:14

i don't have netbind.com and half the other files you listed

and there's no 'net initialize' line, just net start

i'm using netbeui/basic redirector, anyone with the same problem/config?

> >ok, then, thanks!
> >if you find out anything on the topic please let me now.

> I don't know about workgroup.sys and pcntnd.dos, but you definitely
> don't have to put protman.dos in CONFIG.SYS - STARTNET.BAT loads it,
> but it is never specifically referred to ... the network loader just
> knows to load it.

> pcntnd.dos appears to be the NIC driver - it would not be loaded in
> CONFIG.SYS either ... it is described in the config files and loaded
> by one of the commands in STARTNET.BAT.

> A typical STARTNET.BAT file - derived from Bart's Modboot work is

>   LH net initialize
>   netbind.com
>   LH umb.com
>   tcptsr.exe
>   IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO startnet_end
>   tinyrfc.exe
>   IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO startnet_end
>   nmtsr.exe
>   IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO startnet_end
>   LH emsbfr.exe
>   LH net start workstation
>   net logon
>   :startnet_end

> SPAM filter: Messages to this address *must* contain "T.E.D."
> somewhere in the body or they will be automatically rejected.

1. Help to load ramdrive above 8 Megs

Hi all,

I have an old 386 maxed out with 8 MB on the Motherboard and 8 MB on a
ISA memory extension board (BOCA). I'm trying to use the memory on the
extension for windows but I can not do it by just enabling the extension
(performance decreases significantly - probably because M$-DOS uses
memory from the top to bottom). The solution would be a
ramdrive=temporary win swap on this extension (I cannot use the ramdrive
driver that comes with the board due to some incompatibilities with
himem/emm386).
So what I would like to find out: where can I find a ramdrive driver
that loads at a specific address or something like that.

Thank you in advance.

2. User base worth keeping? >was Re: VIC Lesson #1 - Back to Programming basics

4. PCMCIA? CF? Can someone explain...

5. "Too many Block Devices" Error problem/RAMDrives

6. FS: Sbus Prestoserve

7. ramdrive.sys: Too Many Block Devices

8. DAT drive recommendations

9. Difficulty loading device drivers for CD-ROM, MSCDEX.EXE MSCD000, Why?

10. Config.sys device drivers not loading

11. How do I load device drivers when booting from a floppy?

13. Want experience loading device drivers in himem