DOS install problem

Post by GROUP SYSTE » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have a strange problem, I recently built a PC with the following
components:

DX4-100 Mhz M/B
8 MB 72 Pin Ram (x1)
850 Mb HDD
3.5" FDD
PCI Video Card (Not totally sure of the make)

The PC booted up O.K., and I inserted the first dos disk to partition
and format the disk drive. The "Starting MS-DOS" message appeared and
the PC hung at that point. The only way was to power it off then on
again. I had this problem with a similiar PC along time ago and I can
not remember what I did to resolve this problem.
The BIOS on the M/B is an Award 4.50g

Can anyone help ?

Nick Rimmer                       P.C. & Network Support Technician

                                  compuserve:100724,433
---
 * 1st 2.00 #8335 * A MiG at your six is better than no MiG at all...

DOS install problem

Post by Tom Laveda » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I have a strange problem, I recently built a PC with the following
> components:

> DX4-100 Mhz M/B
> 8 MB 72 Pin Ram (x1)
> 850 Mb HDD
> 3.5" FDD
> PCI Video Card (Not totally sure of the make)

> The PC booted up O.K., and I inserted the first dos disk to partition
> and format the disk drive. The "Starting MS-DOS" message appeared and
> the PC hung at that point. The only way was to power it off then on
> again. I had this problem with a similiar PC along time ago and I can
> not remember what I did to resolve this problem.
> The BIOS on the M/B is an Award 4.50g

The most common cause of this I have seen is a memory failure.  The last
time it happened to me, I changed the CMOS setup to insert a wait state
and the memory worked fine after that.

Tom Lavedas
-----------
Kershner, Wright & Hagaman, P.C.
Consulting Electronics Engineers
http://www.deltaelectronics.com/kwh/

1. HELP-DOS Install Problem

When  trying to install DOS 6.0 on an OLD (original) IBM PS/1 computer
I somehow screwed up the HD which initially had IBM DOS 4.0 on it.
Now all I can get on the screen is a blinking "_" when I boot up from
either the DOS install disk or just do a CTRL-ALD-DEL.

Using the first DOS install disc in the a drive results in the
following message on the screen:
      Unrecognized command in Config.sys
      Error in Config.sys linne 7
      Incorrect DOS version
      Bad or missing command interpreter
      _ (blinking _ cursor)
The computer does not seem to recognize the A drive when I put it in
and no mater what, it always comes up with the above messages and a
blinking cursor.  Since I can't type any commands to the screen I am
at a loss as to how to correct the problem and get DOS 6.0 installed.

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Warren in Pittsford NY

2. Zoom to actual size?

3. Big problems installing older DOS... please help...

4. queuewarn timeout

5. Installing DOS 6.22 problem

6. Calling Internal VMS subroutines.

7. Problem installing Windows 3.1 with DR-DOS 6!

8. IIS 5.0 - Urgent Help

9. Problem installing DOS on drives other than C: !!!

10. Problem installing dos 6.2

11. Problems installing pts-dos 2000

12. Problem installing DOS 5.0 on XT compatible.

13. I HAVE PROBLEM INSTALLING MY MS DOS ON MY COMPUTER