Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

Post by Denise Zunig » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

My CD-ROM only runs in windows.  How can I get it to also run while I am
in DOS.  My son has a game that requires the CD to run in DOS only.

Thanks!

Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

Post by Damian Yerric » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:30:08 GMT, Denise Zuniga

>My CD-ROM only runs in windows.  How can I get it to also run while I am
>in DOS.  My son has a game that requires the CD to run in DOS only.

Locate, acquire, and install the DOS driver for the CD-ROM drive.

This is somewhat offtopic in comp.os.msdos.programmer but ontopic
in comp.os.msdos.misc; crosspost added and followups set.

--
Damian Yerrick
"I refuse to listen to those who refuse to listen to reason."

This is McAfee VirusScan. Add these two lines to your signature to
prevent the spread of signature viruses.  http://www.mcafee.com/

Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

Post by Assassi » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

i'm guessing this is an internal IDE cd-rom?

www.bootdisks.com is down at the moment, so here's how one of their boot
disks does it.

1. add the lines:

DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana
LASTDRIVE=Z

to your config.sys (usually found in C:\ directory)

2. add the line:

MSCDEX.EXE  /D:banana /L:R

to your autoexec.bat (same directory)

3. put the files mscdex.exe and cd1.sys in your path (eg, the C:\
directory should do).  in case you don't have them, i've put 'em up fer
download at:

http://www.veryComputer.com/~assassin/cd1.sys
http://www.veryComputer.com/~assassin/mscdex.exe

(make sure your browser downloads these as _binary_ files and doesn't try
to view them as text)

4. let me know whether this solves the problem.  if not, give specific
error messages.

5. find out why these *y help.com questions keep getting sent to
a *programming* newsgroup ;)

hope this helps

: My CD-ROM only runs in windows.  How can I get it to also run while I am
: in DOS.  My son has a game that requires the CD to run in DOS only.

: Thanks!

: --
: Posted via CNET Help.com
: http://www.veryComputer.com/

Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

Post by Damian Yerric » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>: Posted via CNET Help.com
>: http://www.veryComputer.com/
>5. find out why these *y help.com questions keep getting sent to
>a *programming* newsgroup ;)

Write cnet.

--
Damian Yerrick
"I refuse to listen to those who refuse to listen to reason."
See the whole sig: http://www.veryComputer.com/~yerricde/sig.html

This is McAfee VirusScan. Add these two lines to your signature to
prevent the spread of signature viruses.  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

Post by Damian Yerric » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:10:29 GMT, Damian Yerrick

>>: Posted via CNET Help.com
>>: http://www.veryComputer.com/

>>5. find out why these *y help.com questions keep getting sent to
>>a *programming* newsgroup ;)

>Write cnet.

I just realized something:  It's because there's no such newsgroup:
  comp.os.msdos.setup

--
Damian Yerrick
"I refuse to listen to those who refuse to listen to reason."
See the whole sig: http://www.veryComputer.com/~yerricde/sig.html

This is McAfee VirusScan. Add these two lines to your signature to
prevent the spread of signature viruses.  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

Post by Shagg » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Groovy hepcat Denise Zuniga was jivin' on Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:30:08
GMT in comp.os.msdos.programmer.
Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS's a cool scene! Dig it!

Quote:>My CD-ROM only runs in windows.  How can I get it to also run while I am
>in DOS.  My son has a game that requires the CD to run in DOS only.

  Another one about setting up a system, instead of being about
programming! Where do all these come from? Why do so many people post
non-programming related questions in programming groups? Oh well;
since there seems to be a general feeling around here that anithing
goes, I may as well lighten up a bit (just a tiny, tiny bit) and
answer the question just this once. Though I still say it doesn't
belong in here.
  You have to load your CD-ROM device driver. Locate this driver
someplace on your hard disk. Enter it in your config.sys file. Also
run mscdex.exe from your autoexec.bat file. For example, I have a line
in my config.sys file that looks like this:

DEVICEHIGH /L:1,13872 =C:\vibra16\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:1F0,14
/P:170,15 /P:1E8,12 /P:168,10

(That's all on one line, BTW.) Of course, I could've made do without
all the extra options and loading into high memory, like this:

DEVICE=C:\vibra16\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001

But your CD-ROM driver will probably be named something else. Consult
any manuals or help files provided with your CD-ROM drive. My
autoexec.bat file contains this line:

LH /L:1,46544 D:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /S /D:MSCD001 /V /M:5

But, again, I could've got away with simply:

D:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001

  BTW, if you find the driver there may also be some kind of CD-ROM
setup program located in the same directory. There should be a help
file (readme.txt or something) that tells how to set it up.
--

----- Dig the EVEN NEWER, MORE IMPROVED news sig!! -----

-------------- Shaggy was here! ---------------
    http://aardvark.apana.org.au/~phaywood/
============= Ain't I'm a dawg!! ==============

Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

Post by Shagg » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Groovy hepcat Assassin was jivin' on Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:04:51 GMT in
comp.os.msdos.programmer.
Re: Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS's a cool scene! Dig it!

Quote:>http://reality.halo.nu/~assassin/cd1.sys

  I believe she'll need a driver for her particular CD-ROM drive.
They're not generic, you know. You can't use a driver for one drive on
another drive. It should be supplied with her CD-ROM drive (or with
her computer if it was "standard equipment").
--

----- Dig the EVEN NEWER, MORE IMPROVED news sig!! -----

-------------- Shaggy was here! ---------------
    http://aardvark.apana.org.au/~phaywood/
============= Ain't I'm a dawg!! ==============

Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

Post by Shagg » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Groovy hepcat Damian Yerrick was jivin' on Thu, 13 Apr 2000 02:51:28
GMT in comp.os.msdos.programmer.
Re: Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS's a cool scene! Dig it!

Quote:>>>5. find out why these *y help.com questions keep getting sent to
>>>a *programming* newsgroup ;)
>I just realized something:  It's because there's no such newsgroup:
>  comp.os.msdos.setup

  So, how did "programming" come to be another word for "setup"?
--

    http://www.veryComputer.com/~phaywood/
============= Ain't I'm a dawg!! ==============

Post by Damian Yerric » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Groovy hepcat Damian Yerrick was jivin' on Thu, 13 Apr 2000 02:51:28
>GMT in comp.os.msdos.programmer.
>Re: Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS's a cool scene! Dig it!

>>I just realized something:  It's because there's no such newsgroup:
>>  comp.os.msdos.setup

>  So, how did "programming" come to be another word for "setup"?

c|net is strange.

--
Damian Yerrick
"I refuse to listen to those who refuse to listen to reason."
See the whole sig: http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~yerricde/sig.html

This is McAfee VirusScan. Add these two lines to your signature to
prevent the spread of signature viruses.  http://www.mcafee.com/

Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

Post by Damian Yerric » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Groovy hepcat Assassin was jivin' on Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:04:51 GMT in
>comp.os.msdos.programmer.
>Re: Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS's a cool scene! Dig it!

>>http://reality.halo.nu/~assassin/cd1.sys

>  I believe she'll need a driver for her particular CD-ROM drive.
>They're not generic, you know. You can't use a driver for one drive on
>another drive.

But aren't the hardware interfaces standardized nowadays?

--
Damian Yerrick
"I refuse to listen to those who refuse to listen to reason."
See the whole sig: http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~yerricde/sig.html

This is McAfee VirusScan. Add these two lines to your signature to
prevent the spread of signature viruses.  http://www.mcafee.com/

Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

Post by Damian Yerric » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Groovy hepcat Denise Zuniga was jivin' on Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:30:08
>GMT in comp.os.msdos.programmer.
>Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS's a cool scene! Dig it!

>>My CD-ROM only runs in windows.  How can I get it to also run while I am
>>in DOS.  My son has a game that requires the CD to run in DOS only.

>  Another one about setting up a system, instead of being about
>programming! Where do all these come from? Why do so many people post
>non-programming related questions in programming groups?

If you want to propose and maintain alt.msdos.setup, do it.

--
Damian Yerrick
"I refuse to listen to those who refuse to listen to reason."
See the whole sig: http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~yerricde/sig.html

This is McAfee VirusScan. Add these two lines to your signature to
prevent the spread of signature viruses.  http://www.mcafee.com/

1. Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:30:08 GMT, Denise Zuniga

Locate, acquire, and install the DOS driver for the CD-ROM drive.

This is somewhat offtopic in comp.os.msdos.programmer but ontopic
in comp.os.msdos.misc; crosspost added and followups set.

--
Damian Yerrick
"I refuse to listen to those who refuse to listen to reason."
See the whole sig: http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~yerricde/sig.html

This is McAfee VirusScan. Add these two lines to your signature to
prevent the spread of signature viruses.  http://www.mcafee.com/

2. Firewall XP

3. HIMEM.SYS, MSCDEX.EXE, Getting CD-ROM to run in DOS?

4. Latest estimates...$$$

5. Getting dos to regonize sound card and cd-rom

6. a bridging question

7. getting DOS to recognize my CD-ROM ???????

8. Pocket Streets & Trips map files

9. CD-Rom driver for Diamond Data CD-Rom wanted

10. running dos cd-rom games in Win95

11. FREE "Getting Started w/CD-ROM" Pamphlet

12. Running CD-ROM from MS-DOS???

13. Need to keep CD-ROM motor running