The Real Time Clock - Answers, not questions :)

The Real Time Clock - Answers, not questions :)

Post by Ralf Brow » Tue, 15 Feb 1994 05:49:17

}  8192 ints per second is an awful lot for slow computers.

For a well-written interrupt handler, an 8 MHz 8088 will suffice at that
rate, so any machine with an AT-style real-time clock should be able to
handle even 8192 interrupts per second.  I ran a print-spooling
interrupt handler at 2330 interrupts/sec using only 30% of a 4.77 MHz
8088 (the rate was that high to pump out the 1000 bytes/sec of graphics
needed to keep the printer running at full speed, with the printer
unable to accept data about 1/4 of the time).  That included checking to
see if the printer was ready for another byte, sending the byte and
updating the buffer pointers, updating the down-counter that controlled
whether to pass through to the old INT 08h, and issuing an EOI if not
passing the interrupt through.

Quote:}Ralf Brown's interrupt list is available from several ftp sites. Ask an archie
}server for "prog inter3". I think the actual version is 38.

It went up to 39 last weekend.

--

FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/26.1 | "Life is great--I wouldn't know what I'd do

1. Real Time Clock interrupt questions

I have a few questions about the Real Time Clock interrupt:

1) Is it 100% independent of INT8?  i.e. it does not call INT8 or INT8 does
   not call INT70h (the RTC interrupt)?  I am certain that it doesn't, but
   want to ask just to make sure.

2) Does changing the rate of the RTC interrupt affect the time in the RTC at
   all?  I am certain it doesn't.

Thanks for any info/help/code!

2. Reliable multicast protocols

3. System timer update from real-time clock - uptim300.zip (1/1)

4. Resistance is futile

5. System timer update from real-time clock - uptim300.zip (0/1)

6. Upgrade advisor

7. Error: Faulty real-time clock

8. POTS malfunctioning

9. AT Real Time Clock -> accuracy of timer?

10. Real Time Clock

11. Updating bios timer from real time clock

12. real-time MIDI & clock interrupts

13. AT Real Time Clock -> accuracy of