Utility to change name of CIS DFN

Post by ratzill » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 08:32:28

(alt.free.newsservers):

> I read that News CIS DFN will require users to change from using the
> server at "news.cis.dfn.de" to "news.individual.net".

I've not read much on this apart from that message, but I'm not sure if
there's any hurry to change the server name?

Quote:> It seems that the Xnews HDR and MBX files for each newsgroup will
> also need changing (from beginning with "news.cis.dfn.de" to
> "news.individual.net") in order to keep the stored group data.
> Is there a utility for use in WinXP which can make the change to all
> these affected files all in one go?  Can it be done with a DOS
> command?

This looks clunky, but works for me -

for /F "delims=] tokens=1,2" %I in ('dir /b *dfn*') do (rename "%I]%J" "[news.individual.net]%J")

(do back up first...)

Post by Ross Presse » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 08:13:27

> I read that News CIS DFN will require users to change from using the
> server at "news.cis.dfn.de" to "news.individual.net".

> It is easy enough to change the server name in Xnews Setup but each
> newgroup also has its own HDR and MBX files in the Xnews\data folder
> and they each begin with "new.cis.dfn.de".  If you are storing
> articles then you will lose track of all the stored info when
> changing the server name.

> It seems that the Xnews HDR and MBX files for each newsgroup will
> also need changing (from beginning with "news.cis.dfn.de" to
> "news.individual.net") in order to keep the stored group data.

> Is there a utility for use in WinXP which can make the change to all
> these affected files all in one go?  Can it be done with a DOS
> command?

As I understand it, only servers.ini will need changing.  All other
instances of the server name are actually instances of the server NICKNAME,
and as long as you don't change that you'll be fine.

Post by Sacred Wizar » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 08:43:37

> I read that News CIS DFN will require users to change from using the
> server at "news.cis.dfn.de" to "news.individual.net".

> It is easy enough to change the server name in Xnews Setup but each
> newgroup also has its own HDR and MBX files in the Xnews\data folder
> and they each begin with "new.cis.dfn.de".  If you are storing
> articles then you will lose track of all the stored info when
> changing the server name.

> It seems that the Xnews HDR and MBX files for each newsgroup will
> also need changing (from beginning with "news.cis.dfn.de" to
> "news.individual.net") in order to keep the stored group data.

> Is there a utility for use in WinXP which can make the change to all
> these affected files all in one go?  Can it be done with a DOS
> command?

 Just click Special, then Setup Xnews, and then click the news server in
question and either change the address for it or click the clone button it
will copy all data and give you a popup to give it a new alias.

Utility to change name of CIS DFN

Post by Tech Zer » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:23:33

The voice of "Hiram Walker" drifted in on the *-winds,
from the sea of virtual chaos...

> I read that News CIS DFN will require users to change from using the
> server at "news.cis.dfn.de" to "news.individual.net".

 <snip>
> Is there a utility for use in WinXP which can make the change to all
> these affected files all in one go?  Can it be done with a DOS
> command?

Hellow again...

Use Flash Renamer (http://www.veryComputer.com/) or a
similar utility while Xnews is closed. Just be sure that you keep the
case the same as your Servers.ini entry (it's an XP thing).

While your at it, add "FQDN=%rhost" to your Xnews.ini, under the
[Compose] section. That IP as a FQDN has to be the most annoying thing
about Xnews (fortunately it's fixable).

--
The Tech Zero, Maxwell C.G. Pollare

Utility to change name of CIS DFN

Post by Tech Zer » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:32:04

The voice of "Ross Presser" drifted in on the *-winds,
from the sea of virtual chaos...

 <snip>

Quote:>> It is easy enough to change the server name in Xnews Setup but
>> each newgroup also has its own HDR and MBX files in the
>> Xnews\data folder and they each begin with "new.cis.dfn.de".  If
>> you are storing articles then you will lose track of all the
>> stored info when changing the server name.
 <snip>
> As I understand it, only servers.ini will need changing.  All
> other instances of the server name are actually instances of the
> server NICKNAME, and as long as you don't change that you'll be
> fine.

Headers are stored in "[server]group.hdr" files and message bodies are
stored in corresponding "[server]group.mbx" files. The "{alas}.Xnewsrc"
& "{alas}.newsrc" files don't store any messages, just read states.

--

Post by Ross Presse » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:44:42

>>> It seems that the Xnews HDR and MBX files for each newsgroup
>>> will also need changing (from beginning with "news.cis.dfn.de"
>>> to "news.individual.net") in order to keep the stored group
>>> data.

>>> Is there a utility for use in WinXP which can make the change
>>> to all these affected files all in one go?  Can it be done with
>>> a DOS command?

>> This looks clunky, but works for me -

>> for /F "delims=] tokens=1,2" %I in ('dir /b *dfn*') do (rename
>> "%I]%J" "[news.individual.net]%J")

> What command is that one?

It is meant to run under cmd.exe (Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003).

--
Ross Presser -- rpresser AT imtek DOT com
"... VB is essentially the modern equivalent of vulgar Latin in 13th

Utility to change name of CIS DFN

Post by ratzill » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 04:10:55

(alt.free.newsservers):

>>> It seems that the Xnews HDR and MBX files for each newsgroup
>>> will also need changing (from beginning with "news.cis.dfn.de"
>>> to "news.individual.net") in order to keep the stored group data.

>>> Is there a utility for use in WinXP which can make the change
>>> to all these affected files all in one go?  Can it be done with a DOS
>>> command?

>> This looks clunky, but works for me -

>> for /F "delims=] tokens=1,2" %I in ('dir /b *dfn*') do (rename "%I]%J"
>> "[news.individual.net]%J")

> What command is that one?

For.  And dir.  And rename.  There's a decent command-line "A-Z" reference in
XP's help file, and now might be a good time to RTFM.

1. File deletion utility that will handle "bad" names?

        Does anyone know of a public-domain/shareware/freeware/etc
utility that will allow me to delete files with invalid names?
I tried to install Windows, and it crashed in the middle of the process,
leaving me with several files in C:\ with embedded spaces in the names.
Nothing I try will get rid of them.... any help will be appreciated.

---
John Gordon                  "No Silicon Heaven?  Preposterous!  Where would

2. Fractioned attachments

3. Change the name of a volume on MS DOS

4. Psion S3 Backups.

5. change drive name under dos

6. JOBS: 10 ENGINEERING OPPORTUNITIES AT SYNOPSYS

7. Is there a DOS command to change drive names?

8. ANN. Classic A2 text adv. games now available as freeware

9. Dblspace: 2 hard drives & changing the name

10. Word 5.5 name change?

11. Changing names of .bat and .exe

12. Electronic adress of Describe Inc. (CIS ?)

13. eMail with cc:Mail over CIS