Recovering partition deleted by fdisk! Help!

Recovering partition deleted by fdisk! Help!

Post by Christopher Albin Edmon » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Here is the scenario: 1 physical drive partitioned into C: and D:, both
FAT16. So I backed all of the contents of C: onto D:, so that I could
use a "recovery" CD that came with my computer to reinstall everything
as it was originally. Anyway, the instructions with the CD specifically
stated that it would destroy any existing data on drive C:, which I
realised and that's why I backed it up to D:.

But... when the recovery programme ran, it also ran FDISK, which deleted
and remade the partitions on the drive, and then formatted C: and
possibly D: too. So is there anyway to recover the contents of D:?
It currently appears as just an empty FAT16 drive. Note that the
new partitions are identical in size to the original ones.

Is there a shareware solution, or will one of the commercial goodies
such as Norton Utils do the trick? Or am I out of luck :-(

thanks, any advice appreciated,

christopher edmonds

Post by Ari Lukumie » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Here is the scenario: 1 physical drive partitioned into C: and D:, both
> FAT16. So I backed all of the contents of C: onto D:, so that I could
> use a "recovery" CD that came with my computer to reinstall everything
> as it was originally. Anyway, the instructions with the CD specifically
> stated that it would destroy any existing data on drive C:, which I
> realised and that's why I backed it up to D:.

> But... when the recovery programme ran, it also ran FDISK, which deleted
> and remade the partitions on the drive, and then formatted C: and
> possibly D: too. So is there anyway to recover the contents of D:?
> It currently appears as just an empty FAT16 drive. Note that the
> new partitions are identical in size to the original ones.

Seems to me you're out of luck. The recovery CDs supplied by some OEMs
are to be used in cases where, for example, you'll have to replace your
entire hard disk wirh a new one, so the CDs usually think that the drive
is totally empty and not yet even partitioned. Once you've partitioned a
drive and formatted it, there's no easy way to get your data back. There
*are* some companies that can do that after this, though, but be
prepared to pay about $2000-$15000 for their services.

        AriL
--
Humans may send email (if absolutely necessary) to the
obvious non-spam address.

Recovering partition deleted by fdisk! Help!

Post by Charles Moshe » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

In comp.os.msdos.misc Christopher Albin Edmonds

: Here is the scenario: 1 physical drive partitioned into C: and D:, both
: FAT16. So I backed all of the contents of C: onto D:, so that I could
: use a "recovery" CD that came with my computer to reinstall everything
: as it was originally. Anyway, the instructions with the CD specifically
: stated that it would destroy any existing data on drive C:, which I
: realised and that's why I backed it up to D:.

: But... when the recovery programme ran, it also ran FDISK, which deleted
: and remade the partitions on the drive, and then formatted C: and
: possibly D: too. So is there anyway to recover the contents of D:?
: It currently appears as just an empty FAT16 drive. Note that the
: new partitions are identical in size to the original ones.

So what is the name of this wonderful recovery program?  Tell us, so that
we may avoid it.

--
Charles Mosher

Recovering partition deleted by fdisk! Help!

Post by Aguinaldo Campos J » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>: Here is the scenario: 1 physical drive partitioned into C: and D:, both

Could it be TIRAMISU?

Aguinaldo

Recovering partition deleted by fdisk! Help!

Post by Kirk Bub » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

You have discovered the nature of "Recovery" CDs.  Compaq, for one,
will go so far as to FDISK  *any* physical hard drives that it finds
on your system.  They warn you to disconnect a second or third drive
if you don't want their content obliterated in the "recovery" process.

I am sorry that I don't know a solution.  Have you tried your mfgr's
technical support?

Post by jt holme » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> You have discovered the nature of "Recovery" CDs.  Compaq, for one,
> will go so far as to FDISK  *any* physical hard drives that it finds
> on your system.  They warn you to disconnect a second or third drive
> if you don't want their content obliterated in the "recovery" process.

> I am sorry that I don't know a solution.  Have you tried your mfgr's
> technical support?

> >Here is the scenario: 1 physical drive partitioned into C: and D:, both
> >FAT16. So I backed all of the contents of C: onto D:, so that I could
> >use a "recovery" CD that came with my computer to reinstall everything
> >as it was originally. Anyway, the instructions with the CD specifically
> >stated that it would destroy any existing data on drive C:, which I
> >realised and that's why I backed it up to D:.

> >But... when the recovery programme ran, it also ran FDISK, which deleted
> >and remade the partitions on the drive, and then formatted C: and
> >possibly D: too. So is there anyway to recover the contents of D:?
> >It currently appears as just an empty FAT16 drive. Note that the
> >new partitions are identical in size to the original ones.

> >Is there a shareware solution, or will one of the commercial goodies
> >such as Norton Utils do the trick? Or am I out of luck :-(

> >thanks, any advice appreciated,

> >christopher edmonds

Sometimes Corporations go too far in attempting to help those
that have Zero knowledge about their computer
(not that this individual is in that category).

Why is it that Manufacturers don't write User Friendly
software to prevent this sort of problem (like
having the user say Yes/NO to formatting all drives etc.).

This gentleman took all the right precautions and Zap
the UnUser Friendly software does him in.

Some time ago I started making One drive the entire C:
drive (in this case he may not have had a choice) under
NT and WinXX and I don't use Manufacturers Recovery
CD's whatever and I have been spared so far.  But Watchout
My Number is probably rising to the top of the stack to be
implemented when I least expect it.

Flames ON
Also, why do we allow  MS (and others) pawn off sorry products on us and
We Pay Them for the Honor to Beta test them.
Flames OFF

MTCW

--
jtholmes

Recovering partition deleted by fdisk! Help!

Post by Christopher Albin Edmon » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

OK, I ran a programme called Tiramisu, which located all the files on
the D: partition. Unfortunately, it can only recover them after you
purchase the software ($95), and you know the usual poor college
student story :-)

So, my conclusion is that the info is still there, and that I need
to rebuild the FAT or something similar, and further suggestions?

Many thanks so far,

:
: But... when the recovery programme ran, it also ran FDISK, which deleted
: and remade the partitions on the drive, and then formatted C: and
: possibly D: too. So is there anyway to recover the contents of D:?
: It currently appears as just an empty FAT16 drive. Note that the
: new partitions are identical in size to the original ones.
:
: Is there a shareware solution, or will one of the commercial goodies
: such as Norton Utils do the trick? Or am I out of luck :-(

Recovering partition deleted by fdisk! Help!

Post by Kirk Bub » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Look at it from their viewpoint.  The *sh user has mucked up the
machine.  Thery are providing "free" technical support.  They don't
know what he has on the machine and what should be saved.  If you've
every done technical support for anyone you know that it is far, far
easier to get to absolutely common ground so you know what's
happening.   The easiest common ground is Scorched Earth - Kill 'em
all and don't worry about the Innocent!  "Make the machine just like
it was when we shipped it."  It follows that it will reconfigure to
exactly the status quo ante shipping.  FDISK is the way to go.
Quick, clean.  THEN you see if the user's problem is still there.

I do agree that the Considerate Corporation would display *prominent*
warnings that your drive would be nuked back to Day Zero.

And this isn't MS's fault.  This is a policy/support decision by the
Compaqs, Dells, etc.

Quote:>Sometimes Corporations go too far in attempting to help those

Post by S.NAPp » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>: Here is the scenario: 1 physical drive partitioned into C: and D:,
>>both ...
>Could it be TIRAMISU?

NO. I've looked at TIRAMISU and came to...

Conclusion:
----------

TIRAMISU is a complete pile of 'doo doo' !

And is absolutely *NO* match when compared
to a decent ( ahem ;-) data recovery tech.

S.NAPper

-- -
Stuff the B's - Show Me the Honey !

Recovering partition deleted by fdisk! Help!

Post by S.NAPp » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Somebody (!) please find Christopher Albin Edmonds's E-mail address then
forward the following to him...

Quote:>> Hi,

Ho,

Quote:>> Here is the scenario: 1 physical drive partitioned into C: and D:, both
>> FAT16. So I backed all of the contents of C: onto D:, so that I could
>> use a "recovery" CD that came with my computer to reinstall everything
>> as it was originally. Anyway, the instructions with the CD specifically
>> stated that it would destroy any existing data on drive C:, which I
>> realised and that's why I backed it up to D:.

Smart move but unfortunately "recovery" software is usually brain dead...

For "C:" read "device #80"... The/your entire first fixed disk drive. :-(

Quote:>> But... when the recovery programme ran, it also ran FDISK, which deleted
>> and remade the partitions on the drive, and then formatted C: and
>> possibly D: too.

Yus, it looks as though both drives were formatted.

Quote:>>So is there anyway to recover the contents of D:?

Possibly. It depends on whether or not the D:rive was FIRST FDisk'd and
then formatted. If it was simply formatted then a simple UNFormat would
do the job... If it was first FDisk'd and THEN formatted there would be
NO UNFormat information and you're left with just - partially - damaged
information on the drive...

Again a simple UNFormat is the 'solution'. You will have lost the stuff
in the Root DIRectory but - assuming that the drive was well maintained
ie. defragmented - you should be able to get a whole pile of stuff back
from the hard drive minus the root path-names.

Go for it ! You've got * all to lose and a whole lot to gain ! (c:

Quote:>> It currently appears as just an empty FAT16 drive. Note that the
>> new partitions are identical in size to the original ones.

Hmm... It would have been tonnes better if they were NOT identical ! If
they hadn't been the Root DIRectory and FAT's would have only been part
damaged at worst.

Hei ! If UNFormatting the drive doesn't give even remotely good results
then that means that they were NOT identical, and you can get a REBUILD
done. That'll cost you... but not that much.

Quote:>Seems to me you're out of luck.

NAH !!!
                                 The recovery CDs supplied by some OEMs

Quote:>are to be used in cases where, for example, you'll have to replace your
>entire hard disk wirh a new one, so the CDs usually think that the drive
>is totally empty and not yet even partitioned.

True... Brain dead software.
Everywhere and Unavoidable !
                                                Once you've partitioned a

Quote:>drive and formatted it, there's no easy way to get your data back.

WRANG !
                                                                    There

Quote:>*are* some companies that can do that after this, though, but be
>prepared to pay about $2000-$15000 for their services.

>        AriL

Yus. Phuquing RIP OFF merchants.

A couple of hundred quid - TOPS.

S.NAPper

-- -

Post by Marcus Houlde » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> OK, I ran a programme called Tiramisu, which located all the files on
> the D: partition. Unfortunately, it can only recover them after you
> purchase the software ($95), and you know the usual poor college
> student story :-)

That's what I don't like about some shareware. You're supposed to be
able to try out and evaluate it in its entirety before you register it.
FWIW all the freeware I've written is fully functional because it would
take too much time to add cripple stuff to it. If you're interested have
a look at http://members.xoom.com/mhoulden/nukesoft but Xoom are having
problems and my site is down at the moment.

Quote:

> So, my conclusion is that the info is still there, and that I need
> to rebuild the FAT or something similar, and further suggestions?

There are various unformat programs available. One comes with Norton,
and (I think) Nuts & Bolts has one as well (when I upgraded it it added
an unformat program but I don't know if the retail version includes
one). You might want to look at these.
--
Marcus Houlden marcus_houlden (at) hotmail (dot) com
http://members.xoom.com/mhoulden

1. *HELP!!* -- I accidentally deleted a partition w/ fdisk -- can I recover?

        I deleted one partition in fdisk.  Then loaded it again to go
back and check out the status.  It was still there!  So I did it again.
Then I noticed it was still there -- and noticed I needed to REBOOT to
see the changes <slap the forehead>.  So, I deleted one more than the
partition I wanted.  I have NOT formatted over it in any way.

        CAN I RECOVER?!  I do not own Norton or any commercial disk utils
at all.  Is that the ONLY way to recover this lost partition?  Please let
me know!!  Thanks!!

bp

--
+--------------------------------- ---- -- -  -   -     -           -
|Blake W. Patterson         "I'm not quite clear about what you just spoke-

+--ToriAmos-LoreenaMcKennitt-Enya-DavidWilcox-SarahMcLachlan-ElvisCostello--+
+----DavidBowie-CrashTestDummies-TheyMightBeGiants-RustedRoot-Pixies-XTC----+

2. two column text in one column document

3. Help! FDISK won't delete partition

4. Making a dialog part transparent?

5. Deleting partitions using FDISK (HELP!)

6. (Almost) Java on a PDA: The Palm Pilot

7. Recover lost Dos-partition after fdisk

8. fdisk can't delete extended dos partition

9. Deleted Partition Table with FDISK

10. Deleting Extended Partition with Fdisk

11. FDISK - Deleting partitions