good MS-Dos editor + compiler combo

Post by lovens wech » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:08:28

Is there a good editor that can be used with a 32 bit compiler under the
MS-Dos platform? I used to use the Watcom C++ 11 compiler but the editor
that came with it (VI if I remeber) was not that great, in fact it was
horrible. I searching for a Borland C++ style editor and a good C++ 32 bit
compiler. Doesn't really matter if the compiler doesn't optimize the code.
Thanx in advance...

Lovens

Post by Paul O. BARTLET » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:50:22

> Is there a good editor that can be used with a 32 bit compiler under the
> MS-Dos platform?  [...]

    The newsgroup comp.editors might be a place to inquire.  The
overwhelming majority of posts are about vi-and-clones, but other
editor questions do get asked and ansered.

--
Paul Bartlett
bartlett at smart.net
PGP key info in message headers

good MS-Dos editor + compiler combo

Post by Roby » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:37:57

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:08:28 -0400, "lovens weche"

>Is there a good editor that can be used with a 32 bit compiler under the
>MS-Dos platform? I used to use the Watcom C++ 11 compiler but the editor
>that came with it (VI if I remeber) was not that great, in fact it was
>horrible. I searching for a Borland C++ style editor and a good C++ 32 bit
>compiler. Doesn't really matter if the compiler doesn't optimize the code.
>Thanx in advance...

>Lovens

I migrated from (16-bit) Borland C to (32-bit) DJGPP a couple of years
ago, initially using RHIDE as my editor.  It's a BC look/work-alike.

I missed the Borland built-in help, so I returned to using Borland's
IDE to write code and sometimes test compile there.  I use DJGPP from
the command line to compile and link.

Roby

good MS-Dos editor + compiler combo

Post by Kevin G. Rhoad » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:47:40

Quote:>I used to use the Watcom C++ 11 compiler but the editor
>that came with it (VI if I remeber) was not that great, in fact it was
>horrible.

1) You can make the Watcom IDE use another editor, I don't know how as
I don't do that.  I use a standalone editor (TEXTPAD - recommended
for your consideration, it is shareware so you can try it first)

2) OpenWatcom 1.0 is essentially the final bug-fix for Watcom 11.0,
and is available as opensource.  You can ignore compiler source
and just download binaries.  There are no restricutions on what
you can build with it using your own source -- the license for
download only restricts what you can do with the OpenWatcom
source. Runs under Win32, Win16, OS/2 (16 and 32 bit) and
32 bit extended DOS and targets all those and more.

A Linux port is in progress.

Post by Alexander Kobe » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 01:57:41

> Is there a good editor that can be used with a 32 bit compiler under the
> MS-Dos platform?

Multi-Edit forever.

Bye.

Post by Ben Peddel » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 06:15:12

> Is there a good editor that can be used with a 32 bit compiler under the
> MS-Dos platform? I used to use the Watcom C++ 11 compiler but the editor
> that came with it (VI if I remeber) was not that great, in fact it was
> horrible. I searching for a Borland C++ style editor and a good C++ 32 bit
> compiler. Doesn't really matter if the compiler doesn't optimize the code.
> Thanx in advance...

> Lovens

Well, there's RHIDE for an editor, and GCC for the compiler (GPP or G++
for compiling C++). See www.delorie.com/djgpp

1. Need good editor...

Hi all,
who knows a goo editor for msdos. I saw many years ago thi vi
for dos. I like the vi (ok,ok, I know..) . Does anybody know if the
vi exists still for dos ?

Please mail to my email adress shown below.

Thanks
Ruediger

--
Ruediger Gleba          Research Center for Information Sciences   OFFIS e.V.
Systemmanager           26121 Oldenburg(Germany) Escherweg 2

2. ANN: WordStat 3.0 - Content Analysis Software

3. A good DOS editor

4. SLIP vs PPP

5. Good dos editor required

6. Delete web log files on SBS 2k?

7. Need a good command-line editor

8. Finding intersections using two NAVs when HSI in use

9. What is a good DJGPP editor?

10. Good books for making editors?

11. Searching a good editor

12. Good editor for programmers