Questions about the diskette Volume Serial Number

Questions about the diskette Volume Serial Number

Post by Todd Stevens » Sat, 12 Sep 1992 04:29:20

It appears that each time a floppy is formatted, a quasi-unique serial
number is generated.  How can I access that in my programs?

Thank you.

Todd Stevenson
3M Health Information Systems

1. Volume Serial Number Questions

Hi,
 I would like to find information on the Volume Serial Number created
for disks when you format them under MS-DOS. Now don't get confused
with the Volume Label...I'm talking the number CHKDSK displays
e.g.  Volume Serial Number is 1234-5678   <<<< This is what I want
      123456789 bytes total disk space
      etc blah blah

and not the Volume label you get when you do a DIR
e.g. Volume is drive D is Information     <<<< Not this
     Directory of D:\
     .   <DIR>  01-23-45  12:34
     ..  <DIR>  01-23-45  12:34

The information I would like is:
    1. How do I read the volume serial number from a DOS program?
    2. What is it really used for?
    3. How is it generated?
    4. Can it be changed?

Thanks for any help

Peter Bate
Tel office   61 - 2 - 368 1988
Fax         61 - 2 - 358 5302
Tel priv      61 - 2 - 588 6984

2. PKZIP

3. Volume Serial Number - How to change it?

4. Fixed window size

5. checking HD's volume serial number

6. IBM Proprinter to HP laser translator wanted

7. Reading Volume Serial Numbers in C

8. Initialization of Branch-and-bound

9. volume serial number of hard drive

10. Help! How to change disk volume serial number?

11. Changing "Volume Serial Number" (Microsoft OSes) ...

12. Volume Serial Number

13. reading hard disk serial number (or uProcessor serial number)