load protman.dos after boot

Post by fleks » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:30:41

i'm using workgroup connection, netbeui, basic redirector...

these settings work ( but require that all network files are located on A:
drive, floppy in my case ):

config.sys

    device=protman.dos    /i:A:\msnet
    device=workgroup.sys
REM amd pcnet II pci adapter
    device=pcntnd.dos
--

i would like to copy all network files to ramdrive and start the net there.
the problem is i don't know how to load .dos or .sys files after boot plus

help

load protman.dos after boot

Post by Charles Dy » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:59:00

Quote:>i'm using workgroup connection, netbeui, basic redirector...

>these settings work ( but require that all network files are located on A:
>drive, floppy in my case ):

>config.sys

>    device=protman.dos    /i:A:\msnet
>    device=workgroup.sys
>REM amd pcnet II pci adapter
>    device=pcntnd.dos

I'm confused.  Why would you want to do this?  RAMdrives are empty
at boot, so loading device drivers from a RAMdrive would just require
you to copy the relevant files from another volume anyway.  Plus you'd
need one of those command-line driver load utilities.  Seems like a
lot of added complexity just to achieve the same exact result.  What
are you really trying to do?

If you are looking for a way to save space on a boot floppy, you
might try compressing the drivers with a good exepacker like UPX.
This may or may not work, but it's worth a try.

--

load protman.dos after boot

Post by fleks » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:09:53

> >i'm using workgroup connection, netbeui, basic redirector...

> >these settings work ( but require that all network files are located on
A:
> >drive, floppy in my case ):

> >config.sys

> >    device=protman.dos    /i:A:\msnet
> >    device=workgroup.sys
> >REM amd pcnet II pci adapter
> >    device=pcntnd.dos

> I'm confused.  Why would you want to do this?  RAMdrives are empty
> at boot, so loading device drivers from a RAMdrive would just require
> you to copy the relevant files from another volume anyway.  Plus you'd
> need one of those command-line driver load utilities.  Seems like a
> lot of added complexity just to achieve the same exact result.  What
> are you really trying to do?

> If you are looking for a way to save space on a boot floppy, you
> might try compressing the drivers with a good exepacker like UPX.
> This may or may not work, but it's worth a try.

> --

yes, i packed the files with ace compression(quite a bit actually), and the
extractor is only 60kb so it looks quite tempting, but the darn protman
keeps getting in the way...

load protman.dos after boot

Post by Ted Davi » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:31:41

>>i'm using workgroup connection, netbeui, basic redirector...

>>these settings work ( but require that all network files are located on A:
>>drive, floppy in my case ):

>>config.sys

>>    device=protman.dos    /i:A:\msnet
>>    device=workgroup.sys
>>REM amd pcnet II pci adapter
>>    device=pcntnd.dos

>I'm confused.  Why would you want to do this?  RAMdrives are empty
>at boot, so loading device drivers from a RAMdrive would just require
>you to copy the relevant files from another volume anyway.  Plus you'd
>need one of those command-line driver load utilities.  Seems like a
>lot of added complexity just to achieve the same exact result.  What
>are you really trying to do?

>If you are looking for a way to save space on a boot floppy, you
>might try compressing the drivers with a good exepacker like UPX.
>This may or may not work, but it's worth a try.

Actually this is standard procedure, but not with the network client
he is using.  NET BIND and NET INITATE will load most of the needed
drivers (except IFSHELP) if the proper DOS client is used.

The cannonical approach to using the RAMDRIVE is to extract the .cab
or .zip file containing the bulk of the files needed for network
connection and initial tasks to the RAMDRIVE, then to transfer control
to a .bat file that was part of the archive (and is then on the
RAMDRIVE).  Normally this is done using a boot disk formatted /s on a
Win98 machine so that larger HDDs will be recognized.

The OP has not done his homework - he has not examined Bart's Boot
Disks.  He will not have the correct files nor the understanding to
use them until he obtains, and uses or clones Modboot or something
similar.

load protman.dos after boot

Post by fleks » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:11:41

> >>i'm using workgroup connection, netbeui, basic redirector...

> >>these settings work ( but require that all network files are located on
A:
> >>drive, floppy in my case ):

> >>config.sys

> >>    device=protman.dos    /i:A:\msnet
> >>    device=workgroup.sys
> >>REM amd pcnet II pci adapter
> >>    device=pcntnd.dos

> >I'm confused.  Why would you want to do this?  RAMdrives are empty
> >at boot, so loading device drivers from a RAMdrive would just require
> >you to copy the relevant files from another volume anyway.  Plus you'd
> >need one of those command-line driver load utilities.  Seems like a
> >lot of added complexity just to achieve the same exact result.  What
> >are you really trying to do?

> >If you are looking for a way to save space on a boot floppy, you
> >might try compressing the drivers with a good exepacker like UPX.
> >This may or may not work, but it's worth a try.

> Actually this is standard procedure, but not with the network client
> he is using.  NET BIND and NET INITATE will load most of the needed
> drivers (except IFSHELP) if the proper DOS client is used.

> The cannonical approach to using the RAMDRIVE is to extract the .cab
> or .zip file containing the bulk of the files needed for network
> connection and initial tasks to the RAMDRIVE, then to transfer control
> to a .bat file that was part of the archive (and is then on the
> RAMDRIVE).  Normally this is done using a boot disk formatted /s on a
> Win98 machine so that larger HDDs will be recognized.

> The OP has not done his homework - he has not examined Bart's Boot
> Disks.  He will not have the correct files nor the understanding to
> use them until he obtains, and uses or clones Modboot or something
> similar.

.sig in the body)

i am cloning/merging win98se bootdisk and workgroup connection

load protman.dos after boot

Post by Ted Davi » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:13:41

>A:

>> >I'm confused.  Why would you want to do this?  RAMdrives are empty
>> >at boot, so loading device drivers from a RAMdrive would just require
>> >you to copy the relevant files from another volume anyway.  Plus you'd
>> >need one of those command-line driver load utilities.  Seems like a
>> >lot of added complexity just to achieve the same exact result.  What
>> >are you really trying to do?

>> >If you are looking for a way to save space on a boot floppy, you
>> >might try compressing the drivers with a good exepacker like UPX.
>> >This may or may not work, but it's worth a try.

>> Actually this is standard procedure, but not with the network client
>> he is using.  NET BIND and NET INITATE will load most of the needed
>> drivers (except IFSHELP) if the proper DOS client is used.

>> The cannonical approach to using the RAMDRIVE is to extract the .cab
>> or .zip file containing the bulk of the files needed for network
>> connection and initial tasks to the RAMDRIVE, then to transfer control
>> to a .bat file that was part of the archive (and is then on the
>> RAMDRIVE).  Normally this is done using a boot disk formatted /s on a
>> Win98 machine so that larger HDDs will be recognized.

>> The OP has not done his homework - he has not examined Bart's Boot
>> Disks.  He will not have the correct files nor the understanding to
>> use them until he obtains, and uses or clones Modboot or something
>> similar.

>.sig in the body)

>i am cloning/merging win98se bootdisk and workgroup connection

Not everything that can be conceived will work.  Sometimes it is
possible to modify something that does work, but you have to start
with what does work.

load protman.dos after boot

Post by fleks » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:07:50

> >A:

> >> Actually this is standard procedure, but not with the network client
> >> he is using.  NET BIND and NET INITATE will load most of the needed
> >> drivers (except IFSHELP) if the proper DOS client is used.

> >> The cannonical approach to using the RAMDRIVE is to extract the .cab
> >> or .zip file containing the bulk of the files needed for network
> >> connection and initial tasks to the RAMDRIVE, then to transfer control
> >> to a .bat file that was part of the archive (and is then on the
> >> RAMDRIVE).  Normally this is done using a boot disk formatted /s on a
> >> Win98 machine so that larger HDDs will be recognized.

> >> The OP has not done his homework - he has not examined Bart's Boot
> >> Disks.  He will not have the correct files nor the understanding to
> >> use them until he obtains, and uses or clones Modboot or something
> >> similar.

my
> >.sig in the body)

> >i am cloning/merging win98se bootdisk and workgroup connection

> Not everything that can be conceived will work.  Sometimes it is
> possible to modify something that does work, but you have to start
> with what does work.

.sig in the body)

now there seems to be another viable solution in terms of 'afterboot' device
loaders (dynaload,device,ctload,devlod...) of which dynaload comes closest
(but still doesn't cut it) to load protman.dos (the actual problem)

when protman.dos is passed as an argument without its parameters to dynaload
it actually loads it (as seen by mem /c) but when /i:C:\MSNET (protocol.ini
directory) gets passed as well none of the loaders make it, all hang at
'Microsoft Protocol Manager Version 2.1' line

no problem with workgrp.sys and pcntnd.dos(ndis driver) except they require
protman.dos to be loaded beforehand :-(

so close...

1. How to Boot to DOS and load CD-ROM driver

I need to reformat my computer (Micron Transport XKE) and start from
scratch (a looong story). My problem is that my DOS, Win 3.11 and Win
95 OSR2 are all of CD's.

I know that I can do the command    format c: /s     and  reformat my
hard drive but then I don't know what command line to add (and where
to add it) in order to load my CD driver. I can't find the answer in
my DOS book and I'm DESPERATE.

Thanks.
Linda

2. Windows XP Printing

3. What will PROTMAN do after binding?

4. monitor detection

6. partnerships

7. How do I load network stuff on boot floppy?

8. Large scale backups

10. How do I load device drivers when booting from a floppy?

11. When PC loads a boot sector

12. Detecting where boot code loaded from

13. HELP - loading drivers after system boot