Windows 3.1 memory problems with dos

Post by Edwa » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:17:36

I recently bought a used IBM 755cx laptop. It had nothing on the hard
drive except for Dos 6.22. It was running evreything fine until I
installed Windows 3.1. Now many the dos problems are saying there is
not enough memory to run yet the laptop has 40 megs of ram. When I
used the dos command "mem" to see the memory it gave me "Bad command
or file name". Has anyone else ever had these problems? I'm thinking
perhaps DOS 6.22 was not installed completly by the previous owner.

Post by gswo » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:35:16

> I recently bought a used IBM 755cx laptop. It had nothing on the hard
> drive except for Dos 6.22. It was running evreything fine until I
> installed Windows 3.1. Now many the dos problems are saying there is
> not enough memory to run yet the laptop has 40 megs of ram. When I
> used the dos command "mem" to see the memory it gave me "Bad command
> or file name". Has anyone else ever had these problems? I'm thinking
> perhaps DOS 6.22 was not installed completly by the previous owner.

You may be right, either that or the path's became messed up along
with some config settings.  Installing windows 3.1 doesn't usually
'damage' a dos installation though.

If you have the dos disks and some spare time it may be worth
formatting the partition and reinstalling dos then windows 3.1, making
sure things work at each step.

Post by Edwa » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 04:11:08

> > I recently bought a used IBM 755cx laptop. It had nothing on the hard
> > drive except for Dos 6.22. It was running evreything fine until I
> > installed Windows 3.1. Now many the dos problems are saying there is
> > not enough memory to run yet the laptop has 40 megs of ram. When I
> > used the dos command "mem" to see the memory it gave me "Bad command
> > or file name". Has anyone else ever had these problems? I'm thinking
> > perhaps DOS 6.22 was not installed completly by the previous owner.

> You may be right, either that or the path's became messed up along
> with some config settings.  Installing windows 3.1 doesn't usually
> 'damage' a dos installation though.

> If you have the dos disks and some spare time it may be worth
> formatting the partition and reinstalling dos then windows 3.1, making
> sure things work at each step.

It seemed there was a problem with the system files. There was some
kind of a conflict with windows emulating expanded memory. (How that
could have affected other types of memory I have no idea) I added some
lines to system.ini and now memory is restored to all my dos programs.

Post by Charles D » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 07:07:02

> I recently bought a used IBM 755cx laptop. It had nothing on the hard
> drive except for Dos 6.22. It was running evreything fine until I
> installed Windows 3.1. Now many the dos problems are saying there is
> not enough memory to run yet the laptop has 40 megs of ram. When I
> used the dos command "mem" to see the memory it gave me "Bad command
> or file name". Has anyone else ever had these problems? I'm thinking
> perhaps DOS 6.22 was not installed completly by the previous owner.

It would be a good idea to post the contents of your CONFIG.SYS
and AUTOEXEC.BAT files, so that folks will have some idea of how
your system is configured.

40 megs of RAM is nice, but remember that DOS is a real-mode
operating system; it can directly address only about one meg
of memory.  To use the remainder, you need a memory manager
such as HIMEM.SYS installed.  On a '386 or later system like
your Pentium laptop, a 386 memory manager like EMM386.EXE or
386MAX is also a very good idea.

--

1. Dos 6.0 DOUBLESPACE and Windows 3.1 VIRTUAL MEMORY

I recently upgraded to DOS 6.0, before being told that it had a few bugs.
I haven't noticed any, expect one really annoying one.  I can't get the
Windows virtual memory to work.  I had DoubleSpaced my 200 Meg drive to about
380 or so.  When I try to create, say, a 10 or 20 meg virtual memory for
Windows, I get a "corrupt file" bug.  When I re-start windows, it just says
that the file is corrupt and cannot be used and I am forced to delete it.
Does anybody know what the problem is?  If so, I would greatly appreciate
a response.  Please either post here or email me.

---HOUMAN AZARM
 University of California at Berkeley

===|____             O /'   ___
/  |####         *---##    ---            "Let's go one on one! .....
   | ##               ##    ___                     Boom shaka laka!"
                      / \_,  ___
                      `\,    ---

--
---HOUMAN AZARM
 University of California at Berkeley

2. *URGENT - HP-UX Administrator Mid Town NYC*

3. Problem installing Windows 3.1 with DR-DOS 6!

4. Win NT and Tiny Personal Firewall

5. Maximize DOS shell window in Windows 3.1

6. Correct BINSCII suffix (.bsc v .bsq)

7. Using keystack in Windows 3.1 DOS window...

8. Need HELP accessing physical memory from Windows 3.1/BC++ 4.0

9. HELP: Insufficent memory to initialize Windows 3.1 in 386 enhanced mode

10. Borland 3.1 C++ Debugger and MS Windows 3.1

11. BC 3.1 memory problems

12. Memory Model problems in Borland C++ v.3.1