(DOS) Get size of SFT

Post by xb » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:27:40

> Hello!

> I want get this size at runtime, but do not know how. In group
> comp.os.msdos.programmer also no one now.

> Bye.

Michael Podanoffsky discusses in details DOS's SFT (System File Table
entry) in his book "Dissecting DOS" and provides complete layout as
used in his RxDOS operating system. The layout does not contain any
field inficating the length of the entry.

This book does not indicate whether or not the size of the SFT is
standard across different DOS versions.

If I correctly understand the responses to your query in
comp.os.msdos.programmer, the consensus there is not that they do not
know how to dynamically obtain the size for any arbitrary version of
DOS.  It is that this cannot be done unless you set up your own table
describing the size of the SFT for each DOS version you wish to
support.

(DOS) Get size of SFT

Post by Alexander Kobe » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:15:16

Quote:> If I correctly understand the responses to your query in
> comp.os.msdos.programmer, the consensus there is not that they do not
> know how to dynamically obtain the size for any arbitrary version of
> DOS.  It is that this cannot be done unless you set up your own table
> describing the size of the SFT for each DOS version you wish to
> support.

Ok.

Bye.

(DOS) Get size of SFT

Post by Nick Robert » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:54:15

> Michael Podanoffsky discusses in details DOS's
> SFT (System File Table entry) in his book ...

For my own curiosity, could you please give a brief description of this
table?  I have never heard of it. Thanks!

--
Nick Roberts

(DOS) Get size of SFT

Post by xb » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 04:29:07

> > Michael Podanoffsky discusses in details DOS's
> > SFT (System File Table entry) in his book ...

> For my own curiosity, could you please give a brief description of this
> table?  I have never heard of it. Thanks!

---------

I believe that the best way to respond to your request is to quote the
following from Michael Podanoffsky's book "Dissecting DOS"

"The DOS file system is built in layers. [... snip...] At the top
layer of the architecture is the SFT layer. SFTs, or System File
Tables, are internal data structures utilized by DOS that maintain
state information when processing files. They are used for all file
processing even if the file resides on foreign non-FAT file systems.
An SFT is assigned to any file handled by the system, even
FCB-processed files. Among the many services provided by the SFT
layer, device redirection is handled at this layer."

I believe that source code for RxDOS containing the SFT layout, is
available at
http://world.std.com/~mikep/rxdos-page.html

I hope that this an adequate reply to your request.

All the best!

(DOS) Get size of SFT

Post by Nick Robert » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:35:39

Quote:> I believe that the best way to respond ...
> I hope that this an adequate reply to your request.

Yes, thank you.

Quote:> All the best!

Cheers, and reciprocations,
Nick

1. SHARE ERROR! SC:SFT NOT IN SFT list

We have a strange problem with a QuickBasic program. The program uses SHARE
to lock and unlock database files and randomly locks up with strange errors,
usually relating to share. The programmer has checked to make sure his
program is not "leaking" locks, but the problem persists. The software is
POS software with TSR's and 3 com ports being used, so the problem may be a
conflict somewhere.

What I would like to know is if anyone has ever seen the above error.

By the way the system is on a Lantastic network. All IRQ's, addresses, etc
are out of each others way. Any help would be appreciated.

I would appreciate an email as I usually hang out on the Windows forums.

Mark Dutton

2. Hang On Connect

3. Raven Printers

4. Share: Internal Error - FSC:SFT Not in SFT List

5. Hydra Ethernet PCMCIA card (A600/A1200)

6. Get size of SFT

7. L a t i n M i d i F i l e s W a n t e d

8. batct file creating under dos (windows NT ) getting file size

9. Getting DOS environment size

10. paritition size size seen by DOS

11. paritition size <> size seen by DOS

12. Getting a size unknown error w/dpmi.h struct