Accessing the CDROM in a boot disk when you don't know drive letter

Accessing the CDROM in a boot disk when you don't know drive letter

Post by Hopsin » Sat, 26 May 2001 14:30:06

Hello

I need to create a bootable cdrom. This disk would be used to boot and
ghost multiple machines with different configurations. The only thing that
is the same would be the CD.

I want to write the autoexec and configsys so that they do not reference
the actual drive letter because I may not know what it is.

Can anyone point me in the write direction for research. I am assuming
that I am just missing something basic.

thanks for the help.

Hopsing

Accessing the CDROM in a boot disk when you don't know drive letter

Post by arnaud de bonal » Sun, 27 May 2001 23:35:43

create a Win 98 boot disk using the reoper option in control panel.

then, check what's in config / autoexec.bat, I think they use a
findcdrom.com utility or similar.

Quote:>Hello

>I need to create a bootable cdrom. This disk would be used to boot and
>ghost multiple machines with different configurations. The only thing that
>is the same would be the CD.

>I want to write the autoexec and configsys so that they do not reference
>the actual drive letter because I may not know what it is.

>Can anyone point me in the write direction for research. I am assuming
>that I am just missing something basic.

>thanks for the help.

>Hopsing

Accessing the CDROM in a boot disk when you don't know drive letter

Post by Thierr » Wed, 30 May 2001 04:49:12

You can FIX the letter of your CD thanks to the /L: parameter of MSCDEX in
your autoexec.bat

for example:

 MSCDEX /L:X

(with at least LASTDRIVE=X in your config.sys)

..and your CDROM drive will be mapped as X, you won't have to worry wich
letter is the CDROM drive in your batch file because it'll always be X..

Cheers.

Amicalement

Thierry, from Alsace...

PS: Excuse my english

Post by Outside » Wed, 30 May 2001 15:01:09

> Hello

> I need to create a bootable cdrom. This disk would be used to boot and
> ghost multiple machines with different configurations. The only thing that
> is the same would be the CD.

> I want to write the autoexec and configsys so that they do not reference
> the actual drive letter because I may not know what it is.

> Can anyone point me in the write direction for research. I am assuming
> that I am just missing something basic.

> thanks for the help.

> Hopsing

There is no default method for determining the CD-ROM drive letter.
You need either a 3rd party utility or to set the letter yourself
with mscdex.exe. If you want a 3rd party, perhaps this will do,
or you can search for another:

http://bigfoot.com/~batfiles/download/cd-roms.zip
cd-roms.zip   1,124   June 20, 1999   4 files
whatcd.com, cd-roms.com, iscd.com, cd-roms.inf

Set drive letter yourself example:

;config.sys
LASTDRIVE=Z

:: autoexec.bat
LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /L:Z

Then you don't need to "find" it.

Otherwise, you can write a batch program to first check the available
drives for general drive type (network/CD-ROM), followed by checking
for a particular (flag) file or volume label, which you know in advance
is only (or should only be) on the CD-ROM and not on any network drives
that may be available. If there are no network drives available at the
time, then there will be no chance for error. If you prefer a batch
program, let me know.

--
Outsider, HB BFP
MS-DOS 6.22, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Netscape Navigator 4.08

1. Creating a bootable CD when you don't know the cd drive letter

Hello

Sorry if this get posted twice.

I am trying to make a bootable cd (win98 based). This Cd will then boot
and ghost the machine that boots the cd. I also want to use this cd on a
machine that I don't know the configuration for.

How can i write my autoexec and configsys to pick the drive letter when I
do not know what it is.

I am not looking for a handout. IF you can point me to the proper commands
or any help at this point would be great.

thanks for your time

Hopsing

2. De Jong Five-Function Test Bed

3. Swap CDROM drive letter with a hard-drive partition drive letter

4. HP ftp site : ???

5. How to discover the second CDROM boot drive letter from MSDOS batch?

6. Embedded Visual Tools 3.0 Download

7. How to delete disk partition with DOS 5.0 (don't know volume)

8. Omnigo internals

9. I don't know the address of 'Insite Pheriperals' (USA)

10. 1 don't know the address of 'Insite Pheriperals' (USA)

11. Hard drives that don't boot

12. I'd like to truncate a file but I don't know how

13. When does boot disk know about the hard drive;