Help Please! Recovering a BAD 3.5 HD diskette

Help Please! Recovering a BAD 3.5 HD diskette

Post by Steve Aki » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 04:58:55

I have a 1.44 diskette. (Of course there is no backup)  I've tried both NU
ndd and CP diskfix they gave me nothing.  I tried to reformat the diskette.
I got:

        Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.
        Format terminated.

I've tried a MS and CP formats.  I tried Norton Diskedit and it says the disk
is unreadable.  I tried a revive and it sounds like the problem is only in
the boot area of the disk.  Other than throwing it away, does any one have

Thanks
SFA
STEVE AKINS                                WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY
College of Veterinary Medicine      205 Bustad Pullman, WA  99164-7010
PH:(509)335-3303                                     FAX:(509)335-6094

Help Please! Recovering a BAD 3.5 HD diskette

Post by Steve Aki » Thu, 24 Jun 1993 04:23:00

Quote:> Other than throwing it away, does any one have
> any suggestions?

HERE IS A SUMMARY OF THE RESPONSES. I HAD LIMITED SUCCESS BECAUSE OF
THE MULTIPLE REVIVES I RAN ON THE DISK, BUT I WAS ABLE TO RECOVER SOME DATA.

Never, NEVER attempt to write to a defective disk.  Had your attempts to
reformat the disk succeeded, you would have ruined your chances for
recovering the data.

Get a copy of Norton Utilities version 7.0.  Its DISKEDIT allows you to
provide "virtual" disk parameters, which it will use in place of the data
that it cannot obtain from the defective track 0.

Alternatively, you can use your present DISKEDIT to access the physical
disk in maintenance mode (/M switch).
It bypasses DOS, looks directly at the disk and lets you read
absolute sectors.

Example:    DISKEDIT A:/M   or DE A:/M.

Copy the entire disk to a file on your hard drive. (OR YOU CAN COPY
INDIVIDUAL FILES)  You'll have to respond to a bunch of complaints
about unreadable sectors.  (THERE WERE LOTS) Just keep clicking on "Abort"
and a block of zeros will be substituted for the missing data.  Then you
can use DISKEDIT to copy the file onto a new diskette, and patch up the
missing sectors.

THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU!

STEVE AKINS                                WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY
College of Veterinary Medicine      205 Bustad Pullman, WA  99164-7010
PH:(509)335-3303                                     FAX:(509)335-6094

Help Please! Recovering a BAD 3.5 HD diskette

Post by Frank Slootweg at C » Fri, 25 Jun 1993 00:34:00

  If you have a problem with a diskette, and you do not have backup of
it, then directly write-protect it, and never, *never, *EVER* write to
it. (NDD and DISKFIX probably wrote to it, and FORMAT and revive surely
wrote to it).

  Instead of destroying you original diskette in the way you did, you
should have tried to make a *copy* of it and use the copy for
experiments. If you are lucky then DISKCOPY can make a copy. If not, then
Norton's NU (Advanced Edition), and probably also Norton's DiskEdit, can
be used in "maintenance mode". "maintenance mode" will nearly always
allow you to copy tall the sectors of the original diskette to a file on
the harddisk and then from the file to a copy diskette.

 Done too.

Frank "You can destroy your data only once!" Slootweg

Help Please! Recovering a BAD 3.5 HD diskette

Post by Frank Slootweg at C » Fri, 25 Jun 1993 22:18:10

  Thanks for your summary, Steve. I guessed that Norton's DISKEDIT would
also have the /M switch, but I was not sure (I still have version 4.5
(Advanced Edition), i.e. "NU /M".).