I NEED HELP getting the serial number of an IDE dirve

I NEED HELP getting the serial number of an IDE dirve

Post by Eric Thel » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I am writing a program to find the model number and serial number of an IDE
drive.  I have seen utilities that do this from Segate, Western Digital, and
others so I know it can be done.  The following is taken from the
documentation for the find-ata program by Segate but I am very unexperienced
in using assembly language or other calls this low level so I am lost.  If
anyone can help me understand this and maybee even share some source code (I
have access to both Borland C++ 4.5 and Visual C++ 2.0) I would appreciate it
very much.  Please Email me with any help.

  The Identify Drive command (command code ECh) transfers information
  about the drive to the host.  When the command is issued, the drive
  sets BSY, prepares to transfer a single 512-byte block of data, sets
  DRQ, and generates an interrupt.  The host then reads the data from
  the drive.

1. I NEED HELP getting the serial number of an IDE drive

I am trying to write a program that needs to have access to the hard drive's
model and serial number at least for IDE and maybe later SCSI drives.  I know
that there is a command for IDE to get this but I am not sure about SCSI.  The
following is a clip from the documentation for a program by Segate explaining
how to use this Identify Drive Command but I don't understand it.  I have very
little experience with assembly or any other such low level commands.  I need
someone to explain how to use this information and the breakdown of the return
data that follows in the docs or even better to send me some cource code to
use (I have access to both Borland C++ 4.5 and Visual C++ 2.0.)  Please Email
me with any help you can provide or other questions.

  The Identify Drive command (command code ECh) transfers information
  about the drive to the host.  When the command is issued, the drive
  sets BSY, prepares to transfer a single 512-byte block of data, sets
  DRQ, and generates an interrupt.  The host then reads the data from
  the drive.  The data is organized as shown in the table below.   ....

Thanks
Eric Thelin

2. interactive DTP

3. HEEELP! I managed 2 f**k up my friend's PalmIIIx, can U help please?

4. Getting hard drive serial number -- please help

5. Looking for a function or macro

6. reading hard disk serial number (or uProcessor serial number)

7. M03 Pay More than 1 Bill

8. IDE HardDrive Serial Number??

9. Read HD serial number on non-standard IDE controller

10. Help needed - how do you locate the BIOS serial number?

11. Getting volume serial number

12. getting original serial number