djgpp and Linux DOSEmu

Post by Kertis A. Henderso » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello.  I recently installed the latest DOSEmu for linux, and the first
this that I installed was djgpp (or course).  Well, I tried to compile
Allegro (the May 25th WIP), and I could only compile about 50% of the .o
files.  For the rest, I was getting a message saying that I ran out of
virtual memory.  I then changed the flags in the makefile from -O3 to
-O2, and I could compile about 90% of the .o files, still getting this
error on a few compiles.  I then increased my DPMI memory from 8MB to
16MB.  I can now compile the entile Allegro library with -O3.

Well, I was not aware that gcc would use this much memory.  What I'd
like to know, is why did some of the code run fine with 8MB and -O3, and
some with -O2?  Does optimization use THAT much memory?  Or, is this a
problem with DOSEmu?

Also, has anyone else run Allegro programs under X-windows?  When I run
test.exe, I get the video mode selection screen, but as soon as I move
the mouse far enough to change the dialog's focus, I get a SIGSEGV.

Thanks in advance...

--

Kertis Henderson

djgpp and Linux DOSEmu

Post by Martin Str|mbe » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: Well, I was not aware that gcc would use this much memory.  What I'd
: like to know, is why did some of the code run fine with 8MB and -O3, and
: some with -O2?  Does optimization use THAT much memory?  Or, is this a
: problem with DOSEmu?

Yes, it can and does use that much memory.

Cocteau Twins, Tiny Dynamite/Echoes in a Shallow Bay,

                                                        MartinS

djgpp and Linux DOSEmu

Post by Nate Eldredg » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hello.  I recently installed the latest DOSEmu for linux, and the first
> this that I installed was djgpp (or course).

What do you consider the "latest"?  I believe they have both "stable"
and "development" versions.  The latest stable (I think) is 0.66.7,
while development should be around 0.99.x

Quote:> Well, I tried to compile
> Allegro (the May 25th WIP), and I could only compile about 50% of the .o
> files.  For the rest, I was getting a message saying that I ran out of
> virtual memory.  I then changed the flags in the makefile from -O3 to
> -O2, and I could compile about 90% of the .o files, still getting this
> error on a few compiles.  I then increased my DPMI memory from 8MB to
> 16MB.  I can now compile the entile Allegro library with -O3.

> Well, I was not aware that gcc would use this much memory.  What I'd
> like to know, is why did some of the code run fine with 8MB and -O3, and
> some with -O2?  Does optimization use THAT much memory?  Or, is this a
> problem with DOSEmu?

GCC does use an awful lot of memory.  -O3 is a special culprit; it
enables inlining of all functions.  This means (I think) that the
internal RTL representation of every function is stored in memory for
the rest of the compile, and that could take a whole lot.  The `-dm'
option to GCC will print an approximation of how much memory the
compiler is using for data.

Quote:> Also, has anyone else run Allegro programs under X-windows?  When I run
> test.exe, I get the video mode selection screen, but as soon as I move
> the mouse far enough to change the dialog's focus, I get a SIGSEGV.
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

I use 0.66.7, and for me the mouse doesn't work correctly at all.  It
might be time to upgrade...

Also, I expect that any program that tries to use the timer won't work.
--

Nate Eldredge

djgpp and Linux DOSEmu

Post by Kertis A. Henderso » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > Hello.  I recently installed the latest DOSEmu for linux, and the first
> > this that I installed was djgpp (or course).

> What do you consider the "latest"?  I believe they have both "stable"
> and "development" versions.  The latest stable (I think) is 0.66.7,
> while development should be around 0.99.x

I'm using the latest stable version I could find.  I think that it would
have been a bad idea to post a question about the development version.

Quote:> I use 0.66.7, and for me the mouse doesn't work correctly at all.  It
> might be time to upgrade...

> Also, I expect that any program that tries to use the timer won't work.

Would the mouse and timer problem be related?

--

Kertis Henderson

djgpp and Linux DOSEmu

Post by Nate Eldredg » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > > Hello.  I recently installed the latest DOSEmu for linux, and the first
> > > this that I installed was djgpp (or course).

> > What do you consider the "latest"?  I believe they have both "stable"
> > and "development" versions.  The latest stable (I think) is 0.66.7,
> > while development should be around 0.99.x

> I'm using the latest stable version I could find.  I think that it would
> have been a bad idea to post a question about the development version.

Okay.  I asked because there have been several postings lately from
people using development versions.

Quote:> > I use 0.66.7, and for me the mouse doesn't work correctly at all.  It
> > might be time to upgrade...

> > Also, I expect that any program that tries to use the timer won't work.

> Would the mouse and timer problem be related?

Actually, I was wrong about that.  I've had another look; it seems that
the mouse emulation under X is imperfect-- it just jumps around.  When I
run on the console, using BIOS video and a DOS mouse driver, the mouse
works fine in 320x200, though a little slow.  In VESA modes, it does
indeed crash the test program (though I can't tell if it's the mouse
that does it).  I haven't looked into the precise reason behind this.
But when I use higher modes with my card-specific driver (I have an
ET4000), it works fine.

So: I guess you should use a card-specific driver if you can.
Otherwise, it seems you get to live with 320x200.
--

Nate Eldredge

1. DJGPP under Linux DOSEMU or Wine

Hello everyone.

Does DJGPP work under Linux DOSEMU or Wine? If so, any caveats that one
should be aware of? i.e. does LFN work in DOSEMU or Wine. It would be very
helpful is someone could point out a HOWTO or something similar. TIA.

Best regards.

nimrod_a_abing
--------------

+========================================+
|  Home page: www.geocities.com/n_abing  |
+========================================+

"Tinimbang ka ngunit kulang."
If you understand that phrase, i-email mo'ko. ;-)

2. Configuring dial in and dial out on the same modem, simultaneously

3. ?Tutorial: DJGPP under DOSEMU/LINUX

4. Pocket PC 2002 FAQ

5. DJGPP under DR-Opendos 7.02 running under Linux Dosemu

6. *** US-FL-Tampa- Configuration Manager ***

7. Use DJGPP-compiler in Linux's MSDOS-box ( dosemu ).

8. Why do I still receive email from unresolvable domains?

9. Use of the DJGPP-compiler in Linux MSDOS-box ( dosemu ).

10. linux+dosemu with djgpp

11. Fw: Use DJGPP-compiler in Linux's MSDOS-box ( dosemu ).

12. linux+dosemu with djgpp

13. Running OLD djgpp program on Linux's DOSEMU