Getting dos to regonize sound card and cd-rom

Getting dos to regonize sound card and cd-rom

Post by Edwa » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:05:56

I've recently got out the hard drive from my old IBM 386. It has dos
6.22 and Windows 3.1 installed on it. I am running it on my Gateway
that is a 1.3hz celeron, 256 megs of ram. I can get it to run fine but
I cannot get any type of sound blaster or cd-rom support. I installed
the dos cd-rom driver provided by gateway but that was no help.

I can use either a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio or a PCI ESS 1969
Audio Drive. (WDM) I cannot even get the Soundmax to work with my
Windows 98 hard drive so I'm looking at the ESS for dos. Unfortuntly
my motherboard has no ISA slots so I cannot buy a sound card. Are
there any generic drivers out there for sound cards and cd-roms for
dos? Or does anyone know how to get dos and windows 3.1 to regonize
them?

Getting dos to regonize sound card and cd-rom

Post by Marcus Hould » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:14:04

wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc:

Quote:> I've recently got out the hard drive from my old IBM 386. It has dos
> 6.22 and Windows 3.1 installed on it. I am running it on my Gateway
> that is a 1.3hz celeron, 256 megs of ram. I can get it to run fine but
> I cannot get any type of sound blaster or cd-rom support. I installed
> the dos cd-rom driver provided by gateway but that was no help.

> I can use either a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio or a PCI ESS 1969
> Audio Drive. (WDM) I cannot even get the Soundmax to work with my
> Windows 98 hard drive so I'm looking at the ESS for dos. Unfortuntly
> my motherboard has no ISA slots so I cannot buy a sound card. Are
> there any generic drivers out there for sound cards and cd-roms for
> dos? Or does anyone know how to get dos and windows 3.1 to regonize
> them?

DOS based CD drivers have two parts, a device driver, and MSCDEX. Assuming
an IDE CD ROM drive, the device driver is loaded in config.sys with
something like:

INSTALL=C:\DRIVER\CDROM.SYS /D:CD01

and MSCDEX is loaded in autoexec.bat with something like

C:\MSDOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD01

It doesn't matter too much what name you put after the /D: as long as it's
reasonably short and the two match. MSCD001 is pretty common but it doesn't
have to be the same.

As far as sound card drivers go, Esoniq (the manufacturers of ESS cards)
were bought by Creative Labs a few years ago and http://www.esoniq.com is
"coming soon". However, there are a few promising looking drivers at
http://www.driverguide.com. Username is "drivers", password is "all".

mh.
--

Sig temporarily unavailable.

Getting dos to regonize sound card and cd-rom

Post by noemail-ple.. » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:37:01

I didn't think any PCI boards could be seen by Windows 3.x or DOS 6.x.

On my multiboot system they can't be seen.   Even on the Win 95 partitions I
had to load special drivers just so that the PCI boards could be seen at all,
before I could load the drivers for the individual items.   Luckily my CD is
not PCI so I have a CD under all operating systems.

While there aren't generic drivers for all sound cards, the Windows 98 boot
floppies have an excellent collection of drivers for the cd-roms which they'll
try one at a time.  Usually one will load, and you can then copy that one --
but I doubt you could take it back to DOS 6.x, maybe DOS 7 (with Windows 95)
at the earliest.  Boot off the floppy, say yes to CD, and then use
MEM /D |MORE
to see which one loaded in case you weren't watching.

Quote:>I've recently got out the hard drive from my old IBM 386. It has dos
>6.22 and Windows 3.1 installed on it. I am running it on my Gateway
>that is a 1.3hz celeron, 256 megs of ram. I can get it to run fine but
>I cannot get any type of sound blaster or cd-rom support. I installed
>the dos cd-rom driver provided by gateway but that was no help.

>I can use either a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio or a PCI ESS 1969
>Audio Drive. (WDM) I cannot even get the Soundmax to work with my
>Windows 98 hard drive so I'm looking at the ESS for dos. Unfortuntly
>my motherboard has no ISA slots so I cannot buy a sound card. Are
>there any generic drivers out there for sound cards and cd-roms for
>dos? Or does anyone know how to get dos and windows 3.1 to regonize
>them?

Getting dos to regonize sound card and cd-rom

Post by aurgatho » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:54:08

As someone else said, getting CDROMs to work
in DOS is usually just one driver and MSCDEX.

However, getting a PCI soundcard to work is tough.
Some early PCI soundcards did come with DOS
drivers (like the original Ensoniq) but they are a few
and far between.  If you really want DOS sound, get
a mobo with at least one ISA slot.

Quote:> I've recently got out the hard drive from my old IBM 386. It has dos
> 6.22 and Windows 3.1 installed on it. I am running it on my Gateway
> that is a 1.3hz celeron, 256 megs of ram. I can get it to run fine but
> I cannot get any type of sound blaster or cd-rom support. I installed
> the dos cd-rom driver provided by gateway but that was no help.

> I can use either a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio or a PCI ESS 1969
> Audio Drive. (WDM) I cannot even get the Soundmax to work with my
> Windows 98 hard drive so I'm looking at the ESS for dos. Unfortuntly
> my motherboard has no ISA slots so I cannot buy a sound card. Are
> there any generic drivers out there for sound cards and cd-roms for
> dos? Or does anyone know how to get dos and windows 3.1 to regonize
> them?

1. CD-ROM drives for Sound Blaster sound cards.

Does anyone know if there are any 6X or faster CD-ROM drives that will
work with the Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 sound card?  It has a
Panasonic/MKE interface.  I know Creative Lab CD-ROM drives made by
Panasonic, Sony and others work but they were only 2X drives.  Also if I
use a IDE interface drive will it connect and work thru the sound blaster
sound connection if I use the proper audio cable?

2. How can I stop lines getting "thickened" when I scale an image to fit a page..

3. SCSI CD-ROM: Adding a sound card

4. Cyris 486dlc and the Tandy 4020LX???

5. Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

6. Handspring Visor Deluxe Crashing proplems

7. Using the ide connector onm Sound card for cd rom

8. Springboard Publisher on a IIGS

9. Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

10. HIMEM.SYS, MSCDEX.EXE, Getting CD-ROM to run in DOS?

11. getting DOS to recognize my CD-ROM ???????

12. CD-Rom driver for Diamond Data CD-Rom wanted

13. FREE "Getting Started w/CD-ROM" Pamphlet