HELP HELP HELP PART 2

Post by Gordon Balba » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

In part 1, I described how using Maxblast to format a copy the files
of one hard drive to another, the operating system of my original hard
drive got wiped out.  Most of the responses I got were to use FDISK to
repair the original.
My problem is that FDISK shows that there is only a non dos partition
on the drive and I am afraid if I tell FDISK to remove the non dos
partition, it will also delete all of the files on the disk.
The files can not be repalced, as they are test data taken over about
a year.
I am still panicked.
Any help will be greatly appreciated by posting or E-Mail.
Thank you
Gordon Balbach

HELP HELP HELP PART 2

Post by S. Widla » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>In part 1, I described how using Maxblast to format a copy the files
>of one hard drive to another, the operating system of my original hard
>drive got wiped out.  Most of the responses I got were to use FDISK to
>repair the original.

AFAICR: In part 1 you described how you, "tried to copy the contents of
my hard drive to another hard drive that I had formatted using MAXBLAST"
mentioned a "No operating system" error message...

I'm guessing that this was after you 'took out' [however] your old hard
drive and tried to boot up with your new one - indicating an inactive
partition or an incomplete O/S.

... and that you "can not access them - the files - or even find them"
on a DOS 6.21 based system".

Quote:>My problem is that FDISK shows that there is only a non dos partition
>on the drive

And now you no longer even have a DOS partition on your (which ?) disk.

I'm guessing that this 'MAXBLAST' stuff is a non-standard dynamic drive
overlay that you had installed on your old hard drive that allowed you
to access your files that is not installed on your new (replacement ?)
drive and so that is preventing you from now accessing your data.

Quote:>and I am afraid if I tell FDISK to remove the non dos partition, it
>will also delete all of the files on the disk.

Yes this would likely further*up access to your data probably to
the point of requiring the services of a professional data recovery
company.

Quote:>The files can not be replaced, as they are test data taken over about
>a year. I am still panicked.

If you care at all about your data I think you should stop right now
and find someone that really knows what they're doing.

Quote:>Any help will be greatly appreciated by posting or E-Mail.

Done.

S.

-- -
.sig II Found and Restored...

1. ....................BIOS Problems ? HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

I sent my notebook computer for repairs, and due to unexplainable reasons, the
service center replaced the whole unit (coimputer) except for the hard disk, which
was transfered from the old computer.  I used to run DOS 5.0 with absolutely no
hitch.

To give you an idea : I used to task switch between kermit, GeoWorks,
VI editor, Norton commander, and for some time(while I was evaluating it) 4DOS.
Once in a while the wolfenstien game was also a task.  I had no problems what so ever
with the old unit.

Now, the new unit, DOES TASK SWITCH, but the video mode remains in GRAPHICS MODE
AFTER THE SWITCH (i.e, after I press alt-tab to move from one task to another).

Whether or not the properties menu option (is set to text or not) is set, the
task switch causes a a blank GRAPHICS mode screen.

For example if I switched form KERMIT to another copy of command.com (a task),
then I see a blank screen in video mode.  But whatever I type, the computer takes
action.  So I typed mode 80, and LO, BEHOLD, the text screen is back !!!

So, now, I have to do the `mode 80' command in every task, after each switch.

------------------------------------

Now, I have spent nearly 40 dollars calling everyone in magnavox and phillips
service centers, and they cant figure out what is going on.  In fact, none
of the technicians are adept at software, and dont know what task swithcing itself
means.

But I managed to get my problems across to one of the more intelligent guys(named
charlie), who sent me a LATEST VERSION of the BIOS card. (after I told him the
BIOS could be the problem).   NOPE, it didnt help.  The problem persists.

What flummoxes me is that everything was fine in the old unit.  There is a distinct
possibility that the old unit had a very OLD BIOS.  But our investigations over the
phone, seem to rule it out.

Before I travel 245 miles from Detroit to Columbus (th enearest service station)
where charlie works (and that place is my only hope, other than these usenet
groups) and where hopefully, the supervisors can do something non-technical like
give me a new unit with new comptible s/w (But I might have to pay some money),

and before I spend 4 + 4 hrs travelling, by car, I hope that someone here can
help me out.  That's why I am posting to these many groups.

PLEASE HELP ME.  PLEASE HELP ME.  PLEASE HELP ME.  PLEASE HELP ME.

Anyone had any problems like this before ?

************************* P.S. Its not a corrupt s/w problem.  I booted my
notebook using DOS5.0 available on a floppy.  Nothing changes. same problems...
Anyway, corrupted s/w wont cause such `CORRECTABLE' PROBLEMS.

Seetamraju Udaya Bhaskar Sarma

2. Datagrid with conditional row color

3. HELP HELP HELP

4. Norton/Graham utilities?

5. help help help,dos 6.0 chaos

6. Any ppsclock module support for Solaris?

7. HELP HELP HELP: Why can't I use setvect(8) ????

8. MOUSE: programming the hardware HELP HELP HELP !!!

9. interrupts, memory, etc. HELP..HELP..HELP!

10. HELP HELP HELP!

11. help, Help HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. HELP, Seeking Borland C++ SVGA Drivers !!!! HELP, HELP!