Replacing volume lable on a diskette or HD

Replacing volume lable on a diskette or HD

Post by Elizabeth Stor » Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Is there a way to chanage the volume lable on a diskette or HD without
reformating?  If so, can someone tell me how?

Thanks,
Liz

Replacing volume lable on a diskette or HD

Post by Andre LeClair » Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Is there a way to chanage the volume lable on a diskette or HD without
> reformating?  If so, can someone tell me how?

The easiest way is the DOS "LABEL" command.

 Andre

Post by Mike Uh » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Is there a way to chanage the volume lable on a diskette or HD without
> reformating?  If so, can someone tell me how?

> Thanks,
> Liz

If you are using DOS 6.22, then use LABEL.EXE
Use the following syntax for the a: drive
                label a: diskname

for whatever you want the label to be.

--

            [,,^..^,,] <<<ShoeLeather_Express>>> [,,^..^,,]
                    D A Z E D A N D C O N F U S E D

Post by Bob Watso » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Is there a way to chanage the volume lable on a diskette or HD without
> reformating?

Sure is! The Dos LABEL command does just that. Enter (at a Dos prompt):

LABEL *drive*
(where *drive* is the drive containing the disk you wish to rename)

The present label is displayed and you are invited to enter a new one.

For further details on this and other Dos 7 commands, see:
http://log.on.ca/users/rhwatson

Incidentally, if you are running Win95, you can also change a disk label
by right-clicking on the appropriate drive in "My Computer" and going to
"properties".

All the best,
Bob Watson

Replacing volume lable on a diskette or HD

Post by j.. » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Change it!
Many ways.
Simpliest is to read your dos manual.
Then, from the prompt,  of the disk or diskette you want to change,
type LABEL, and put in the name that you want.
If using windows, click on the disk word in toolbar, and dropdown menu
shows options, one of which is label.
Use xtree, ver 2.0, and click on v, and you have an entry block ready.
From norton commander, I forget.
js

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997 17:33:40 -0600, Elizabeth Story

Post by fto.. » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997 17:33:40 -0600, Elizabeth Story

>Is there a way to chanage the volume lable on a diskette or HD without
>reformating?  If so, can someone tell me how?

>Thanks,
>Liz

At DOS Prompt, type "label a:". A drive used for example,change drive
letter as required.
 --
  Floyd L.Tolar

   "The riskier the road, the greater the profit."
  [Ferengi 62nd. Rule of Aquisition]

Post by John Sava » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>Is there a way to chanage the volume lable on a diskette or HD without
>reformating?  If so, can someone tell me how?

DOS has a command to do this.

LABEL /?

--
John Savage     koala ~ sydney.dialix.com.au     <-- use this address

Replacing volume lable on a diskette or HD

The command is label - not lable.