need help to restore cp backup files (old)

need help to restore cp backup files (old)

Post by stev » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

        I backed up files say four years ago on my 286 ..using central point
backup..well trying to restor the files on my dx4-120 the cp backup
util does not want to do it..is it the harware differences in the too
machines or what..????????????????

Post by S. Widla » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>I backed up files say four years ago on my 286.. using central point
>backup.. well trying to restore the files on my dx4-120 the cp backup
>util does not want to do it.. is it the harware differences in the two
>machines or what..?

Are you using exactly the same version of cp backup as you were four years
ago ? I remember dealing with someone who was having big problems with the
newer version of ms backup not restoring files that were backed up with an
older version and I think these two (ms and cp) backup programs are pretty
much the same beast.

I think it's a software, not a hardware, problem.

S.

- --
.sig II Found and Restored ...

Post by A. H. (Ste » Sun, 17 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>    I backed up files say four years ago on my 286 ..using central point
>backup..well trying to restor the files on my dx4-120 the cp backup
>util does not want to do it..is it the harware differences in the too
>machines or what..????????????????

Depends on your version of CP backup or the PC Tools it came from.
When I went from 386 to 486 some time ago, I found my CP backup
wouldn't function any more (I had version 8 of PC tools at the time).

Call to Support showed that I needed two things -- one was an upgrade
to PC Tools version 9 and then a patch called pentfix.zip to allow
them to handle the faster stuff.  I think this was in May of 1955 that
I did both so I could restore my other backups.

Post by Frank Slootw » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >I backed up files say four years ago on my 286.. using central point
> >backup.. well trying to restore the files on my dx4-120 the cp backup
> >util does not want to do it.. is it the harware differences in the two
> >machines or what..?

> Are you using exactly the same version of cp backup as you were four years
> ago ? I remember dealing with someone who was having big problems with the
> newer version of ms backup not restoring files that were backed up with an
> older version and I think these two (ms and cp) backup programs are pretty
> much the same beast.

  Yes. If I remember correctly one can not restore a 5.0 or earlier CP
backup with the post-5.0 version of CP restore, i.e. the format changed
at 6.0. There may be similar problems at earlier or later releases. The
CP utilities have some program to list (not restore) backup diskettes.
Try that program (I forgot the name, but can look it up (for 5.0/6.0))
and see if it can make any sense of your backup diskettes.

  I would be willing to have a look at your diskettes, but you being in
Canada and me being in The Netherlands does not make that very practical.

  If I were you, I would contact Symantec (sp?), the current owners of
PC Tools.

1. Help! Need to Restore 6.2 Backup files

Hi
Can anyone help me. I need to restore some dos 6.2 backup files. They will
not restore with msbackup6.22.

Do I need to install a version of Dos6.2 just so I can restore my files? If
so where can I find a copy of Dos6.2?

Many Thanks in Advance

Daniel

2. Game Compatiblity

3. Help needed to restore backup files

4. Apple CD300 and audio disks and non-Macintosh machines?

5. Restoring old backups

6. PPP on linux "device busy:cua1"

7. Help needed on BACKUP/RESTORE

8. FOP0.15 w/ Cocoon1.8: keep-together.within-page not working ...

9. HELP - need info on backup/restore restart

10. Need to read old MsDos backup files

11. Need Utility to read old DOS Backup files

12. Restore.exe will not restore backup