help help help,dos 6.0 chaos

Post by Barbara Laffa » Tue, 29 Nov 1994 03:31:12

A week ago we had a general failure.Autoexec.bat had been removed from
the c drive.Fortunately, we were able to copy it back. I got a message
stating that "msd.exe" is damaged. The latest thing is that, the system
cannot remember any soundblaster data. I don't have the room or money
for Norton Utilities at this point. I have the original PS/1 diskettes,
a recovery disk, and can recover any other programs I have. I found
out last week that the computer disk had been compressed with Doublespace
BEFORE I bought it, with no notice to that effect. Is this a good plan:
Format the c-drive, reinstall the 19 PS/1 diskettes with the recovery
disk--this will provide the original intact DOS 6.0 system back. If this
is a bad idea , what else could I do. I'm sure it is obvious to all that
I am pretty new at this--computer illiterate till 6 months ago.I want to
get the disk uncompressed and Doublespace out of my life FOR GOOD. I could
just buy a 540 hard drive for about the same price as nort.util. , so
I may just do that. I don't think Soundlbaster is damaged.ANy help
would be immeasurably appreciated. This is totally beyond me....

help help help,dos 6.0 chaos

Post by Peter T. Breu » Tue, 29 Nov 1994 21:13:43

: A week ago we had a general failure.Autoexec.bat had been removed from
: the c drive.Fortunately, we were able to copy it back. I got a message
: stating that "msd.exe" is damaged. The latest thing is that, the system
: cannot remember any soundblaster data. I don't have the room or money
: for Norton Utilities at this point. I have the original PS/1 diskettes,

I don't understand your problem very well ... why not just reinstall
windows if you have lost a bit of windows, and reinstall dos if you have
lost some vital bit of dos. It happens all the time to everyone on every
kind of system - sometimes it's self-inflicted damage and sometimes the
"o/s" does it. You might try borrowing someone elses copy of Norton Disk
Doctor to see what it can do, though I'd recommend borrowing the someone
else instead if you really don't know what you're doing! You should have
a backup image of your disk somewhere, no?

: a recovery disk, and can recover any other programs I have. I found
: out last week that the computer disk had been compressed with Doublespace
: BEFORE I bought it, with no notice to that effect. Is this a good plan:

Why should they? I can't understand why you are blaming doublepace!
It's just another kind of disk device. You might as well blame dos for
allowing files to be wrecked by utilities failures to close an open
handle before you switch off. But then I have been using stacker for
about five years without any problems at all, so perhaps I'm biased.

Hey, a thought - are you by any chance using smartdrv? Now that could
cause problems since it isn't that well written compared to some of the
other caches on the market. You might have set it for write cacheing and
switched off the computer before the cache flushed. That often happens -
same effect as switching off the computer while a file write is in
progress on a system without smartdrv, with possibly disastrous
consequences for the o/s's file allocation table. (Or switching off a
unix file system without first syncing disks and going to single-user
mode :).

: Format the c-drive, reinstall the 19 PS/1 diskettes with the recovery
: disk--this will provide the original intact DOS 6.0 system back. If this
: is a bad idea , what else could I do. I'm sure it is obvious to all that

Well, if everything else looks in working order - why don't you just do
a visual comparison with someone elses similar system first and make
patches as appropriate? I am not yet sure if you have really lost
something or just installed a new autexec.bat that calls for things you
never did have. Are _you_ sure?

Why do you want to format the C:? Sounds as though it is OK to me. Run
chkdsk to see (and/or salvage, at your own risk, but Norton is much to
be preferred). It is pretty hard to do damage to the format.

: I am pretty new at this--computer illiterate till 6 months ago.I want to
: get the disk uncompressed and Doublespace out of my life FOR GOOD. I could

What is this beef with Doublespace? I was just thinking of trying the
version that came with my PCDOS 6.3 to see if it really is compatible
with linux, as the rumour mill claims. Seems a perfectly innocuous
little utility to me.

: just buy a 540 hard drive for about the same price as nort.util. , so

Sounds like you have more money than sense! How much does norton
utilities cost to use for 10 mins, for goodness sake! NU has been around
for nigh on ten years now and you must be able to pick up an old second
hand copy for a couple of dollars, or just borrow it off a friend. You
only need to run NDD.EXE (or whatever they call it nowadays - my version
number is probably around 4.0 and I haven't taken it out of the box for
a long, long time).

: I may just do that. I don't think Soundlbaster is damaged.ANy help
: would be immeasurably appreciated. This is totally beyond me....

And how can one damage soundblaster? Not that I know anything about the
multimedia experience (or hari krishna), but I thought it was a piece
of hardware. Anyway, turning off the noise will probably make your
neighbours feel better, so perhaps you will gain in other ways! (:-)
As you can see, personally I sympathise with the Gauls in the Asterix
books!

I think that when your present panic is over you will see the amusing side.

Peter T. Breuer
,---------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas Telematicos, Universidad Politecnica
|de Madrid, Escuela Tecnica Superior de Ingenieros de Telecomunicacion,
|Ciudad Universitaria, E--28040 Madrid, SPAIN.
|Tel. Office : +34 (1)549 5700 x442
|     Fax    : +34 (1)543 2077 or 336 7333

|     URL    : http://www.dit.upm.es:80/~ptb/
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. ....................BIOS Problems ? HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

I sent my notebook computer for repairs, and due to unexplainable reasons, the
service center replaced the whole unit (coimputer) except for the hard disk, which
was transfered from the old computer.  I used to run DOS 5.0 with absolutely no
hitch.

To give you an idea : I used to task switch between kermit, GeoWorks,
VI editor, Norton commander, and for some time(while I was evaluating it) 4DOS.
Once in a while the wolfenstien game was also a task.  I had no problems what so ever
with the old unit.

Now, the new unit, DOES TASK SWITCH, but the video mode remains in GRAPHICS MODE
AFTER THE SWITCH (i.e, after I press alt-tab to move from one task to another).

Whether or not the properties menu option (is set to text or not) is set, the
task switch causes a a blank GRAPHICS mode screen.

For example if I switched form KERMIT to another copy of command.com (a task),
then I see a blank screen in video mode.  But whatever I type, the computer takes
action.  So I typed mode 80, and LO, BEHOLD, the text screen is back !!!

So, now, I have to do the `mode 80' command in every task, after each switch.

------------------------------------

Now, I have spent nearly 40 dollars calling everyone in magnavox and phillips
service centers, and they cant figure out what is going on.  In fact, none
of the technicians are adept at software, and dont know what task swithcing itself
means.

But I managed to get my problems across to one of the more intelligent guys(named
charlie), who sent me a LATEST VERSION of the BIOS card. (after I told him the
BIOS could be the problem).   NOPE, it didnt help.  The problem persists.

What flummoxes me is that everything was fine in the old unit.  There is a distinct
possibility that the old unit had a very OLD BIOS.  But our investigations over the
phone, seem to rule it out.

Before I travel 245 miles from Detroit to Columbus (th enearest service station)
where charlie works (and that place is my only hope, other than these usenet
groups) and where hopefully, the supervisors can do something non-technical like
give me a new unit with new comptible s/w (But I might have to pay some money),

and before I spend 4 + 4 hrs travelling, by car, I hope that someone here can
help me out.  That's why I am posting to these many groups.

PLEASE HELP ME.  PLEASE HELP ME.  PLEASE HELP ME.  PLEASE HELP ME.

Anyone had any problems like this before ?

************************* P.S. Its not a corrupt s/w problem.  I booted my
notebook using DOS5.0 available on a floppy.  Nothing changes. same problems...
Anyway, corrupted s/w wont cause such `CORRECTABLE' PROBLEMS.

Seetamraju Udaya Bhaskar Sarma

2. Joystick isn't being initialized in windows app

3. HELP HELP HELP

4. Strange (to me) events in log regarding NetLogon and DNS

5. HELP HELP HELP PART 2

6. Making bigger enclosing parenthesis ((())) in LaTeX

7. DOS/Windows95 Help/Links, etc (LF) at the "DOS and Windows Help" Pages!

8. Assigning IP address

9. Help: Dos EDIT AND DOS HELP DONT'T WORK

10. HELP HELP HELP: Why can't I use setvect(8) ????

11. MOUSE: programming the hardware HELP HELP HELP !!!

12. interrupts, memory, etc. HELP..HELP..HELP!