Desperately seeking FastBack Plus software

Desperately seeking FastBack Plus software

Post by Loui » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:44:16

Friends,

I have some archives that were created by a software called FastBack
Plus, originally from a company called Fifth Generation. FastBack was
later acquired by Symantec who subsequently abandoned it. To my
knowledge, this old software cannot be purchased anywhere.

Among my network of friends, I have been able to put my hands on 4
copies of FastBack Plus. Two are incompatible with the archives I
have. The other two (on 5 1/4 inch floppies) are unusable. The
floppies appear to have bad sectors.

I would be immensely grateful to anyone who could dust off his old
copy of FastBack and send me a copy, or anyone knowing where this
software could be downloaded.

Alternatively, that would be a real strech, if anyone knows the
compression algorithm used by FastBack, I could write an application
to uncompress the archives.

Alternatively (again), if anyone knows of a business that can recover
old archives, that would work too!

Thanks!

Post by CBFalcone » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:27:28

> I have some archives that were created by a software called FastBack
> Plus, originally from a company called Fifth Generation. FastBack was
> later acquired by Symantec who subsequently abandoned it. To my
> knowledge, this old software cannot be purchased anywhere.

> Among my network of friends, I have been able to put my hands on 4
> copies of FastBack Plus. Two are incompatible with the archives I
> have. The other two (on 5 1/4 inch floppies) are unusable. The
> floppies appear to have bad sectors.

I have a zip of fbp6.0, with the fb files largely dated in
1993-12-7.  About 900k.  Do you want this version?

Symantec has bought and killed many things, including slr
software.  Not only that, but when I had a good reason for
inquiring about buying some of the old z80 stuff they wouldn't
even answer me.  Steve Russel sold them all. :-(

Desperately seeking FastBack Plus software

Post by Loui » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:44:45

Hi again everyone,

A friend of a friend of a friend dug out his copy of Fastback Plus
2.10 for me yesterday. This was the magic version. I had a copy of
version 2.09, which was incompatible with my archives.

Joy!!  Case closed!!

Thanks everyone!

- Louis