printing a directory

Post by tcoo » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:00:13

Can someone help me with a dos command?  Is there a way I can print a folder
and its sub folders along with all the files? I guess you would call it
prininting an entire directory tree?
I need a hard copy of a directory and its contents.
                Thanks,
                    Tom

printing a directory

Post by Michael J. Apollyo » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:19:35

Depending on your version, TREE would be what you're
looking for.

tree /f > [filename.ext]

Quote:> Can someone help me with a dos command?  Is there a way

I can print a folder
Quote:> and its sub folders along with all the files? I guess
you would call it
> prininting an entire directory tree?
> I need a hard copy of a directory and its contents.
>                 Thanks,
>                     Tom

printing a directory

Post by Ted Davi » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:26:41

>Can someone help me with a dos command?  Is there a way I can print a folder
>and its sub folders along with all the files? I guess you would call it
>prininting an entire directory tree?
>I need a hard copy of a directory and its contents.

What operating system?  What format do you want?

printing a directory

Post by Sir Alari » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:01:25

dir/s c:\dirname > dir.txt
then print the dir.txt file

Quote:> Depending on your version, TREE would be what you're
> looking for.

> tree /f > [filename.ext]

> > Can someone help me with a dos command?  Is there a way
> I can print a folder
> > and its sub folders along with all the files? I guess
> you would call it
> > prininting an entire directory tree?
> > I need a hard copy of a directory and its contents.
> >                 Thanks,
> >                     Tom

printing a directory

Post by John McCa » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:47:33

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:26:41 -0500, Ted Davis

>What operating system?

Strange question to ask in the comp.os.msdos.misc newsgroup?

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

printing a directory

Post by Ted Davi » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:45:07

>On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:26:41 -0500, Ted Davis

>>What operating system?

>Strange question to ask in the comp.os.msdos.misc newsgroup?

Not considering that only a small percentage of the questions are
actualy about MSDOS - most are about DOS under Windows.  When I see
from the message header that the message was posted from a DOS
machine, I don't ask, but when it was posted from Outlook, I assume
that unless specified otherwise, the question refers to the user's
machine, and that it is not running real mode MS DOS.

printing a directory

Post by Ted Davi » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:49:32

>>>Strange question to ask in the comp.os.msdos.misc newsgroup?
>>Not considering that only a small percentage of the questions are
>>actualy about MSDOS - most are about DOS under Windows.

>And all of them are OFF-TOPIC, they need to be reminded that they are
>going off-topic. This newsgroup is for people running MS-DOS, not any
>Windows Operating System command-prompt... :-)

Well, how about *you* tell all those people who don't know the
difference.

You have your understanding of what MSDOS is; I have mine - they are
probably similar - and they are both 16 bit and non-GUI.  A lot of
other people are not yet aware that Microsoft lies, and have only what
MS says or implies in its less technical (and more likely to be both
untrue and useless) propaganda to go by.  Educating them is probably
impossible.

printing a directory

Post by tcoo » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:05:24

I didn't realize that asking what I thought would be a simple question in a
group that obviously knows more than I do would be such a problem.
I needed to print a list of files in a directory and couldn't seem to do it
from my Windows operating system. I knew it could be done from DOS because I
saw it done long ago.
I assume I do have some version of DOS on my system, because I can put in a
boot disk and it will boot to the A prompt and I can fdisk, reformat or
change directories. I do not know what version of DOS I am using, and at
this point it don't really matter. Another person told me of a program that
will allow me to print from my Windows Explorer program, sort the files and
add other information about the files.
I would like to thank the people that did make an attempt to help, and sorry
I don't know as much about DOS as many of you do, but that's the way it
goes..
                Thanks again  Tom

Quote:> Can someone help me with a dos command?  Is there a way I can print a
folder
> and its sub folders along with all the files? I guess you would call it
> prininting an entire directory tree?
> I need a hard copy of a directory and its contents.
>                 Thanks,
>                     Tom

printing a directory

Post by Charles Dy » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:42:36

>I didn't realize that asking what I thought would be a simple question in a
>group that obviously knows more than I do would be such a problem.
>I needed to print a list of files in a directory and couldn't seem to do it
>from my Windows operating system. I knew it could be done from DOS because I
>saw it done long ago.
>I assume I do have some version of DOS on my system, because I can put in a
>boot disk and it will boot to the A prompt and I can fdisk, reformat or
>change directories. I do not know what version of DOS I am using, and at
>this point it don't really matter. Another person told me of a program that
>will allow me to print from my Windows Explorer program, sort the files and
>add other information about the files.
>I would like to thank the people that did make an attempt to help, and sorry
>I don't know as much about DOS as many of you do, but that's the way it
>goes..

Depending on what kind of printer you have and how it's hooked up,
you may be able to dump your directory listing directly to the
printer with something like this:

   dir c:\where\*.* /a /s /b > lpt1:

Once the listing finishes, it may be necessary to issue a final
page feed, either by pressing a button on the printer or else by
sending a form-feed character to the printer:

   echo ^L > lpt1:

(The ^L is a control-L character; hold down the Control key and
press L.)

To see information on the operating system and command shell you
are using, try this:

   ver /r

And if that gives an error message, then try again without the /R :

   ver

If you're booting from the floppy drive, then you are probably
running some version of DOS at that point.  Which may or may not
have anything to do with the operating system installed on your
hard drive....

--

printing a directory

Post by tcoo » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:54:43

Thanks Charles,
I appreciate your help. I will print this out and give it a shot,,,thanks
again.
                        Tom

> >I didn't realize that asking what I thought would be a simple question in
> >group that obviously knows more than I do would be such a problem.
> >I needed to print a list of files in a directory and couldn't seem to do
it
> >from my Windows operating system. I knew it could be done from DOS
because I
> >saw it done long ago.
> >I assume I do have some version of DOS on my system, because I can put in
> >boot disk and it will boot to the A prompt and I can fdisk, reformat or
> >change directories. I do not know what version of DOS I am using, and at
> >this point it don't really matter. Another person told me of a program
that
> >will allow me to print from my Windows Explorer program, sort the files
and
> >add other information about the files.
> >I would like to thank the people that did make an attempt to help, and
sorry
> >I don't know as much about DOS as many of you do, but that's the way it
> >goes..

> Depending on what kind of printer you have and how it's hooked up,
> you may be able to dump your directory listing directly to the
> printer with something like this:

>    dir c:\where\*.* /a /s /b > lpt1:

> Once the listing finishes, it may be necessary to issue a final
> page feed, either by pressing a button on the printer or else by
> sending a form-feed character to the printer:

>    echo ^L > lpt1:

> (The ^L is a control-L character; hold down the Control key and
> press L.)

> To see information on the operating system and command shell you
> are using, try this:

>    ver /r

> And if that gives an error message, then try again without the /R :

>    ver

> If you're booting from the floppy drive, then you are probably
> running some version of DOS at that point.  Which may or may not
> have anything to do with the operating system installed on your
> hard drive....

> --

printing a directory

Post by Dr John Stockto » Tue, 22 Jul 2003 01:13:35

2003 18:00:13 :-

Quote:>Can someone help me with a dos command?  Is there a way I can print a folder
>and its sub folders along with all the files? I guess you would call it
>prininting an entire directory tree?
>I need a hard copy of a directory and its contents.

Get HUNT via sig line 3; at a DOS prompt,

        HUNT * s p q > file.tmp

Then print file.tmp by any technique.

To alter the layout, use COLS, same source : e.g.

        HUNT * s p q e | COLS 1-20 34-53 57- ` 22+12 > file.tmp

Include a parameter d- to stop HUNT reporting directories.

--

 Web  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.
 PAS EXE TXT ZIP via  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/programs/00index.htm>