486 2nd HD

Post by AndyGro » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'm running a 486 MSdos 5.0 win 3.1;

Tried to add a second hard drive (120 MB) (same date of manufact. as
first but diff. brand) - Setup and Fdisk recognize it but not format NOR
DOS or Windows recognizes that there is a D: drive...what am I not
doing?

Master/slave jumpers are correct (I have docs) and I can configure the
2nd HD as a master and format it correctly and use it, it just won't run
with 2 drives, only recognizes one drive - makes me think it's software?

Help!

[[ the system I have is a gateway 4sx-33V ]]

Please email replies also.
--

Andy

*Muskie Country JOT*

486 2nd HD

 :
 :Tried to add a second hard drive (120 MB) (same date of manufact. as
 :first but diff. brand) - Setup and Fdisk recognize it but not format NOR
 :DOS or Windows recognizes that there is a D: drive...what am I not
 :doing?
 :
 :Master/slave jumpers are correct (I have docs) and I can configure the
 :2nd HD as a master and format it correctly and use it, it just won't run
 :with 2 drives, only recognizes one drive - makes me think it's software?
 :
 :Help!

120MB?  Was it a Conner CP30104?  :(

For some reason IDEs aren't guaranteed to work together, so
you may be out of luck. If the master has a SP jumper you
will need to set that.

Walter

Disclaimer: My employer is not responsible for the above.
If you want to email me, please use a valid From: address.

486 2nd HD

Post by David Roone » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Any chance that it's interference from a CD-ROM drive.  If you have a CD-ROM

isn't there an option on the MSCDEX driver that defines which drive letter
use for the CD?  If the CD was setup for drive D maybe DOS won't see the
second HD.

> I'm running a 486 MSdos 5.0 win 3.1;

> Tried to add a second hard drive (120 MB) (same date of manufact. as
> first but diff. brand) - Setup and Fdisk recognize it but not format NOR
> DOS or Windows recognizes that there is a D: drive...what am I not
> doing?

> Master/slave jumpers are correct (I have docs) and I can configure the
> 2nd HD as a master and format it correctly and use it, it just won't run
> with 2 drives, only recognizes one drive - makes me think it's software?

> Help!

> [[ the system I have is a gateway 4sx-33V ]]

> Please email replies also.
> --

> Andy

> *Muskie Country JOT*

486 2nd HD

Post by AndyGro » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>  :I'm running a 486 MSdos 5.0 win 3.1;
>  :
>  :Tried to add a second hard drive (120 MB) (same date of manufact. as
>  :first but diff. brand) - Setup and Fdisk recognize it but not format NOR
>  :DOS or Windows recognizes that there is a D: drive...what am I not
>  :doing?
>  :
>  :Master/slave jumpers are correct (I have docs) and I can configure the
>  :2nd HD as a master and format it correctly and use it, it just won't run
>  :with 2 drives, only recognizes one drive - makes me think it's software?
>  :
>  :Help!

> 120MB?  Was it a Conner CP30104?  :(

   Actually a Maxtor 7120AT...

Quote:> For some reason IDEs aren't guaranteed to work together, so
> you may be out of luck. If the master has a SP jumper you
> will need to set that.

I've heard that, also heard that the fix was to switch the Mast/Slave
config to get the timing right - which didn't work - who knows?

--

Andy

*Muskie Country JOT*

486 2nd HD

Post by AndyGro » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Any chance that it's interference from a CD-ROM drive.  If you have a CD-ROM

Nope: no CD-ROM, much poorer I.

--

Andy

*Muskie Country JOT*

486 2nd HD

Post by AndyGro » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > I'm running a 486 MSdos 5.0 win 3.1;

> > Tried to add a second hard drive (120 MB) (same date of manufact. as
> > first but diff. brand) - Setup and Fdisk recognize it but not format NOR
> > DOS or Windows recognizes that there is a D: drive...what am I not
> > doing?

> > Master/slave jumpers are correct (I have docs) and I can configure the
> > 2nd HD as a master and format it correctly and use it, it just won't run
> > with 2 drives, only recognizes one drive - makes me think it's software?

> > Help!

> Are both HDs known to be in working order? Are you sure the 2nd one has been
> partitioned and formatted? Also, are you sure the BIOS has the correct
> parameters for both? Are you sure the red wire is on pin 1 for both HDs?

 Just checking the obvious first :)
*****************************8
 Ok folks, it's fixed....sheesh, what a P.I.T.A.

Something about the Gateway/Anigma motherboard does not like that HDD. I
had another MBoard (a Cyrix) I was planning to swap in, so I did...and
guess what, as soon as the critter came up it recognized both drives
easily.
 Funny, ain't it? I didn't change anything either. Go figure.
Anyway, now I'm off to the store to buy a serial mouse (to replace the
PS/2 I can't use with the Cyrix Mb....)

Thanks for all help!!

Rez - drive swapping didn't work either, and it has on other machines
I've upgraded. Like above, I suspect it's a quirky BIOS.

--

Andy

*Muskie Country JOT*

486 2nd HD

Post by Franc Zabk » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 09:01:46 -0800, AndyGroz put finger to keyboard
and composed:

Quote:>Tried to add a second hard drive (120 MB) (same date of manufact. as
>first but diff. brand) - Setup and Fdisk recognize it but not format NOR
>DOS or Windows recognizes that there is a D: drive...what am I not
>doing?

>Master/slave jumpers are correct (I have docs) and I can configure the
>2nd HD as a master and format it correctly and use it, it just won't run
>with 2 drives, only recognizes one drive - makes me think it's software?

Try the CABLE SELECT hookup. This involves cutting out one conductor
(CSEL, pin28) from the IDE cable and setting the drive jumpers for
CSEL mode. A drive will be recognised as master or slave depending
upon its position on the cable.

   IDE
 Controller --------->Master HD- - - - - ->Slave HD
   pin 28       |       pin 28       |      pin 28
                |                    |
                |                    |
             intact                 cut

-- Franc Zabkar

Please remove one 'e' from my address when replying by email.

1. HD & 486

I'm trying to install a 2 GIG hard drive in a old 486 DX2.  the bios AMI 93
sees it but FDISK report only a HD of 473 megs?   I can not create small
partition because it only sees 473 megs?

Please any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

2. Flat Screen Monitors

3. 386 OSes (Was Re: NeXTstep 486 announced for 486 PCs)

4. IMAGE / SPEECH PROCESSING

5. NeXTstep 486 announced for 486 PCs

6. $GROUPNAME Meeting this week!

7. 486 DX/33 or 486 DX2/66?

8. Testing

9. Installing 2nd HD

10. 2nd IDE HD installation hassles

11. Help on 2nd HD (Maxtor and Quantum okay???)

12. HELP on 2nd HD setup, Fdisk, Partitons.

13. *HELP* Adding 2nd HD