running dos cd-rom games in Win95

Post by jo.. » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi All,
   I've got a Dell Pentium II-266 that came with Win95 pre-loaded on and
all the goodies.  I have no problem using Win95 for most things, but I
have a ton of old DOS games on CD-ROM that when I try and either do the
Shutdown and Boot to DOS or run them directly and Win95 shells to DOS, my
program doesn't run because DOS doesn't recognise my CD-ROM drive.  So my
question is, how do I setup my system so that DOS recognizes my CD-ROM
(actually it's a DVD, but it's the same principle) so I can run software
off of my CD-ROM drive?

Post by Hello: » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hi All,
>    I've got a Dell Pentium II-266 that came with Win95 pre-loaded on and
> all the goodies.  I have no problem using Win95 for most things, but I
> have a ton of old DOS games on CD-ROM that when I try and either do the
> Shutdown and Boot to DOS or run them directly and Win95 shells to DOS, my
> program doesn't run because DOS doesn't recognise my CD-ROM drive.  So my
> question is, how do I setup my system so that DOS recognizes my CD-ROM
> (actually it's a DVD, but it's the same principle) so I can run software
> off of my CD-ROM drive?

replace the dvd with a real cd-rom drive..
or get that old comp. back out of the trash.

running dos cd-rom games in Win95

Post by Mike Wals » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

You need a cd driver loaded from config.sys and mscdex.exe loaded from
autoexec.bat or dosstart.bat

--
                   Mike Walsh
            Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, U.S.A.

1. running cd rom games under dos

I am trying to find out how to program my cd rom to run in ms-dos mode.
when i try  to put a command line in the autoexec.bat file it just
freezes the system on boot.  If any one out there can help me with this
problem please post an article to the newsgroup of e-mail me at

2. Domino.Action

3. DOS/CD-ROM game problem

4. How to open mail automatically

5. CD-Rom driver for Diamond Data CD-Rom wanted

6. PIX Sys 6.3 and AES proposals

7. Getting my CD-Rom to run in DOS

8. Ethernet over laser?

9. HIMEM.SYS, MSCDEX.EXE, Getting CD-ROM to run in DOS?

10. CLASSIC GAMES ON CD-ROM! OVER 30000!!!

11. Running CD-ROM from MS-DOS???