6.0 - suggesting a feature

Post by Ronen Sibon » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

When ever a command is entered and it is not recognized by 4dos as a
command/alias or any valid input, 4dos will activate a certain batch file
which in the user will be enabled to process the un-recognized command.
There should also be a toggle in the 4dos.ini file deciding if to check for
the batch file or to display the regular message.
--

6.0 - suggesting a feature

Post by Tom Raws » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>When ever a command is entered and it is not recognized by 4dos as a
>command/alias or any valid input, 4dos will activate a certain batch file
>which in the user will be enabled to process the un-recognized command.

That feature has been present for a long time.  Look under ALIAS, at the
section on the UNKNOWN_CMD alias.

JP Software               http://www.jpsoft.com/

6.0 - suggesting a feature

Post by RxCo » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

 > When ever a command is entered and it is not recognized by 4dos as a
 > command/alias or any valid input, 4dos will activate a certain batch
file
 > which in the user will be enabled to process the un-recognized command.

That's already in 4DOS - check out the UNKNOWN_CMD alias.

     - Rex

6.0 - suggesting a feature

Post by Mike Bess » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

How would this differ from the current UNKNOWN_CMD alias processing that
allows you to decide how to deal with any unknown command?  You may want
to review your 4DOS online help and documentation for details.

> When ever a command is entered and it is not recognized by 4dos as a
> command/alias or any valid input, 4dos will activate a certain batch file
> which in the user will be enabled to process the un-recognized command.
> There should also be a toggle in the 4dos.ini file deciding if to check for
> the batch file or to display the regular message.

 Mike Bessy                    JP Software, Inc.

 CompuServe 75300,1215         "GO JPSOFT"

6.0 - suggesting a feature

Post by Mark Basset » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> When ever a command is entered and it is not recognized by 4dos as a
> command/alias or any valid input, 4dos will activate a certain batch file
> which in the user will be enabled to process the un-recognized command.
> There should also be a toggle in the 4dos.ini file deciding if to check for
> the batch file or to display the regular message.
> --

There is such a feature already, although it's incredibly well hidden in
the documentation. 4DOS will execute the alias "UNKNOWN_CMD" whenever it
can't recognize the input, and you can set  the value of UNKNOWN_CMD
yourself. This is described in the very last section of the "ALIAS" help
text.

Just for the record my setting is

which changes to a directory if I enter its name without supplying a
trailing "\", or makes a flippant remark otherwise. I'm sure you can
think of a more productive use!

Regards,

Mark Bassett

6.0 - suggesting a feature

Post by Tom Raws » Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>There is such a feature already, although it's incredibly well hidden in
>the documentation.

As far as I remember it is covered under ALIAS, and under the discussion of
how executable files are found.  Should it be elsewhere?

Post by Mark Basset » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> >There is such a feature already, although it's incredibly well hidden in
> >the documentation.

> As far as I remember it is covered under ALIAS, and under the discussion of
> how executable files are found.  Should it be elsewhere?

Well to me the natural place to put a reference to "UNKNOWN_CMD" would
be in the "Command Line" section of the on-line help. So along with the
discussion of command editing, multiple commands, command groups etc.
you would have sections on, say,  "How commands are found" and "Handling
invalid commands". The documentation for UNKOWN_CMD is very good, but if
you don't know the facility exists, or are aware of its existence but
can't recall how it's implemented, there seems to be no easy way to
locate it as a feature.

All the above is only in my opinion, obviously, and I know about
UNKNOWN_CMD now, so don't take this _too_ seriously.

Thanks for asking,

Mark Bassett

6.0 - suggesting a feature

Post by Mike Bess » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Keep in mind that a very powerful but often overlooked feature of our
online help system (all products) is the ability to execute a GLOBAL
SEARCH on any string you want , presumably "UNKNOWN", in this instance.

While this doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make the information
available in the "logical"(?) places, the global search allows you to
still find a number of references which we may not have shown in the
locations where you feel they should have been.