DOS 16-bit programs in Windows 95/98 window

DOS 16-bit programs in Windows 95/98 window

Post by Mike McWhinne » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

Could someone point me to any resources which explain the Microsoft
Windows 95/98 limitations for DOS 16-bit programs running in a window.
I need to modify a few DOS programs (in Pascal) to be able to display
640x480x16 and 640x480x256 mode graphics. However they will not
run in a window, but only in full screen mode. Text modes work fine
however.

Thanks for your help.

Mike McWhinney
Chief Engineer
elja, Inc.

DOS 16-bit programs in Windows 95/98 window

Post by Alexander Russel » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Win9X always runs dos graphic programs full screen - it has no support for
running dos graphic windows in a window.
Short of re-writting in win32, you are out of luck.

Quote:> Hello,

> Could someone point me to any resources which explain the Microsoft
> Windows 95/98 limitations for DOS 16-bit programs running in a window.
> I need to modify a few DOS programs (in Pascal) to be able to display
> 640x480x16 and 640x480x256 mode graphics. However they will not
> run in a window, but only in full screen mode. Text modes work fine
> however.

> Thanks for your help.

> Mike McWhinney
> Chief Engineer
> elja, Inc.

DOS 16-bit programs in Windows 95/98 window

Post by Damian Yerric » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:33:44 -0600, Mike McWhinney

>Could someone point me to any resources which explain the Microsoft
>Windows 95/98 limitations for DOS 16-bit programs running in a window.

The biggest one is that Windows does not emulate super VGA modes in
a window but instead puts them into the full screen.

Quote:>I need to modify a few DOS programs (in Pascal) to be able to display
>640x480x16 and 640x480x256 mode graphics. However they will not
>run in a window, but only in full screen mode. Text modes work fine
>however.

Then make them full screen and see who really gives a care.  If you
want to write programs that run in windows,
then write programs that run in Windows.

If you're willing to abandon 808x and 286 machines, I'd suggest the
portable multimedia library Allegro:
  http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/
Write once, compile on several 32-bit C compilers such as GCC, DJGPP,
Watcom C++, MS Visual C++, Mingw32, RSXNTDJ, Borland C++Builder, and
soon BeOS with little or no code changes.  The GNU Pascal-to-C
converter may help here.

--
Damian Yerrick  http://yerricde.tripod.com/
Comment on story ideas: http://home1.gte.net/frodo/quickjot.html

Post by Mike McWhinne » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:33:44 -0600, Mike McWhinney

>>Could someone point me to any resources which explain the Microsoft
>>Windows 95/98 limitations for DOS 16-bit programs running in a window.

>The biggest one is that Windows does not emulate super VGA modes in
>a window but instead puts them into the full screen.

>>I need to modify a few DOS programs (in Pascal) to be able to display
>>640x480x16 and 640x480x256 mode graphics. However they will not
>>run in a window, but only in full screen mode. Text modes work fine
>>however.

>Then make them full screen and see who really gives a care.  If you
>want to write programs that run in windows,
>then write programs that run in Windows.

The point here is that I *need* to be able to display graphical
screens/data under a window in MS Windows at the highest
possible quality. If I need to drop back to a lower resolution, I may
do that for now.  Eventually I will port this app to Windows, but that
is a major undertaking that I do not wish to forgo at this time.

Quote:

>If you're willing to abandon 808x and 286 machines, I'd suggest the
>portable multimedia library Allegro:
>  http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

I will look in to Allegro. I seem to see this library mentioned quite
often.

Mike

DOS 16-bit programs in Windows 95/98 window

Post by Damian Yerric » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:31:29 -0600, Mike McWhinney

>>On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:33:44 -0600, Mike McWhinney

>>>I need to modify a few DOS programs (in Pascal) to be able to display
>>>640x480x16 and 640x480x256 mode graphics. However they will not
>>>run in a window, but only in full screen mode. Text modes work fine
>>>however.

>>Then make them full screen and see who really gives a care.  If you
>>want to write programs that run in windows,
>>then write programs that run in Windows.

>The point here is that I *need* to be able to display graphical
>screens/data under a window in MS Windows at the highest
>possible quality.

Why in a window?

Doing it in full screen is perfectly possible in DOS:
just use VBE to set the resolution to, say, 1024x768.

Quote:>If I need to drop back to a lower resolution, I may do that for now.

If you need to code apps that run in DOS and also run in a movable
window in Windows, you'll have to. Otherwise, you can just use DOS VBE
at a really high resolution.

Quote:>>If you're willing to abandon 808x and 286 machines, I'd suggest the
>>portable multimedia library Allegro:

>>  http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

>I will look in to Allegro. I seem to see this library mentioned quite
>often.

You'll like it.

Quote:>Eventually I will port this app to Windows, but that is a
>major undertaking that I do not wish to forgo at this time.

Porting your app to Allegro will let you port it easily to Windows.

--

Post by Mike McWhinne » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:31:29 -0600, Mike McWhinney

>>>On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:33:44 -0600, Mike McWhinney

>>>Then make them full screen and see who really gives a care.  If you
>>>want to write programs that run in windows,
>>>then write programs that run in Windows.

>>The point here is that I *need* to be able to display graphical
>>screens/data under a window in MS Windows at the highest
>>possible quality.

>Why in a window?

The reason why I need to do this is because I want to use Lotus
ScreenCam to capture the DOS program's output to a ScreenCam file. It
works *only* if the program is running in a window, not full screen.

Mike McWhinney

DOS 16-bit programs in Windows 95/98 window

Post by Damian Yerric » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 04 Feb 2000 10:06:53 -0600, Mike McWhinney

>>Why in a window?

>The reason why I need to do this is because I want to use Lotus
>ScreenCam to capture the DOS program's output to a ScreenCam file. It
>works *only* if the program is running in a window, not full screen.

There's no easy way to do it in 16 bits.  Get mingw32 and Allegro.

mingw32 is the lite (non-POSIX) version of Cygwin, which is a free
compiler that makes Win32 programs.

Allegro is a multimedia code library that works in
  compilers: DJGPP, Watcom, mingw32, RSXNTDJ, and gcc for Linux
  runtime environments: VESA 2 and 3, VBE/AF, DirectX, GDI, GGI,
svgalib, fbcon, X11

Get your program ported and running in the full screen in DOS/DJGPP
at 640x480 in 256 colors first; recompiling with mingw32 should be
a snap.  Just tell Allegro to use the windowed mode.

--
Damian Yerrick  http://yerricde.tripod.com/
Comment on story ideas: http://home1.gte.net/frodo/quickjot.html
AOL is sucks! Find out why: http://anti-aol.org/faqs/aas/
View full sig: http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~yerricde/sig.html

DOS 16-bit programs in Windows 95/98 window

Post by Shagg » Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Groovy hepcat Mike McWhinney was jivin' on Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:33:44
-0600 in comp.os.msdos.programmer.
DOS 16-bit programs in Windows 95/98 window's a cool scene! Dig it!

Quote:>Could someone point me to any resources which explain the Microsoft
>Windows 95/98 limitations for DOS 16-bit programs running in a window.
>I need to modify a few DOS programs (in Pascal) to be able to display
>640x480x16 and 640x480x256 mode graphics. However they will not
>run in a window, but only in full screen mode. Text modes work fine
>however.

  Well, there you go, then. That's your limitation. You can't set a
DOS window to graphics modes, only to text modes. Other than that, I
don't think there are any limitations.
--

----- Dig the EVEN NEWER, MORE IMPROVED news sig!! -----

-------------- Shaggy was here! ---------------
    http://aardvark.apana.org.au/~phaywood/
============= Ain't I'm a dawg!! ==============

1. What role does "DOS" play in Windows 95/98?

To put it simply:

Many people believe that Windows 95/98 runs "on top of" DOS.

This would lead one to believe that there is some 32-bit, protected-mode
DOS executive layer running under Windows 9x.  If that was not true,
then the alternative would have to be that a 16-bit, real-mode DOS layer
is somehow able to support windows-9x running in 32-bit protected mode
above it.

Most rational explanations say that DOS is involved in two aspects of
win-9x functionality:

1) the boot loader
2) to support legacy 16-bit applications (and drivers?).

A more likely explanation is that:

a) people like to denigrate the windows-9x line and fabricate
differences between it and the NT line, and one way to do this is to
make the outlandish claim that it runs "on top of DOS" - something that
was true of windows 3.

b) people genuinely do believe that windows-9x is more similar to
windows 3 in terms of "running on top of" DOS.

c) people associate FAT32 with DOS, and hence because windows-9x only
supports FAT32 it therefore must have some large internal reliance on
DOS.

Please discuss here what the truth really is concerning where DOS fits
into the structural functionality of Windows 9x.

2. Macros as arguments for \index.

3. 16-bit process; Windows date, but DOS time

4. Consultants

5. Running a DOS C program in a window with Windows 95

6. Compiling MiNT v1.10

7. Cross compiling DOS 6.22 16-bit EXE from Windows NT 4

8. Inexpensive monitors for 1200?

9. int64 or something like in a 16 bits program (16 bits compiler or algo)

10. 16-bit Apps under Windows NT

11. 16-Bit -> 32-Bit Programming

12. using 32-bit DLL from DOS-session in Windows 95

13. Using 16-bit libraries in a 32-bit program