Execute Perl file on Unix from DOS ftp

Post by John M. Lemb » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 08:26:40

I am trying to run a Perl file that is on a Unix machine from a DOS shell ftp.  At the ftp> prompt in the DOS shell, I type the file name on the Unix machine that is the Perl script, but it tells me it's an 'invalid command'.  Is there any way to execute such a file from a remote computer using the DOS shell ftp?

Regards,

John M. Lembo
Phone: (585) 594-1753
Fax: (585) 594-4028

Execute Perl file on Unix from DOS ftp

Post by Ted Davi » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:13:30

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:26:40 GMT, "John M. Lembo"

>I am trying to run a Perl file that is on a Unix machine from a DOS shell ftp.  At the ftp> prompt in the DOS shell, I type the file name on the Unix machine that is the Perl script, but it tells me it's an 'invalid command'.  Is there any way to execute such a file from a remote computer using the DOS shell ftp?

FTP = File Transfer Protocol - FTP is for transferring files.  Telnet
is for executing remote programs.

Post by Phil Roby » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:16:40

> On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:26:40 GMT, "John M. Lembo"

>>I am trying to run a Perl file that is on a Unix machine from a DOS shell ftp.  At the ftp> prompt in the DOS shell, I type the file name on the Unix machine that is the Perl script, but it tells me it's an 'invalid command'.  Is there any way to execute such a file from a remote computer using the DOS shell ftp?

> FTP = File Transfer Protocol - FTP is for transferring files.  Telnet
> is for executing remote programs.

Unless it's an IBM mainframe, in which case you *can* submit a job
for execution to the JES (Job Entry Subsystem) internal reader via
FTP. :-)

--
Phil Robyn
Univ. of California, Berkeley

u n z i p   m y   a d d r e s s   t o   s e n d   e - m a i l

1. Some way to turn on execute bit in DOS batch file to UNIX box?

Hi:

I've got a VB app that does some ftping from a DOS/Win box
to a Unix box.  I would like to turn on the execute bit on
one file that I send to the Unix box (chmod +x file).  Is there
an ftp switch that would allow me to set that bit prior to sending
it.  Or am I stuck with having to manually set it once the file
is on the Unix side?

Thanks.

--
Bill Rose

Unisys Corporation
No sig. by popular demand....

2. Problems using HP 2200D with a TT

3. 4nt on xp, opening perl file using gvim causes 4start.bat executed.

4. system container

5. Batch file executing FTP

6. Support

7. executing unix scripts under dos

8. no address list in pulldown menu

9. oakftp - A Unix shell script to auto-ftp msdos files from OAK ...

10. Batch program for automatically FTP files to UNIX account ... help !

11. Bash prompt - dos batch files - perl script?

12. How to read apple .hqx file to dos/unix file?

13. How to execute multiple bat files from within a single bat files