Get size of SFT

Post by Alexander Kobe » Tue, 05 Aug 2003 22:47:35

Hello!

How can I get the size of one elenent of SFT? Because it different for
each DOS version, I need universal method. (I have no book
"Undocumented DOS", and cannot get it). Thank you.

Bye.

Get size of SFT

Post by R.Wiese » Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:10:04

Quote:> Hello!

Hello Alexander,

Quote:> How can I get the size of one elenent of SFT?

AFAIK, no such call exists.

Quote:> Because it different for each DOS version, I need universal method.

Universal method : Get and check dos-version : update variable holding
SFT-length accordingly.

Quote:> (I have no book "Undocumented DOS", and cannot get it).
> Thank you.

Google is your friend. So is Ralf Browns Interrupt-list
 http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/ralf/pub/WWW/files.html )
Regards,
  Rudy Wieser

Get size of SFT

Post by E.P. van Westendor » Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:21:34

Had a quick look at Ralf Brown's Interupt List.

When you know the Dos version you know the length of one element of the SFT.
Right?

--

Eric P. van Westendorp  Tel: +31(0252)210579
Reigerslaan 22  2215NN Voorhout  Netherlands

> Hello!

> How can I get the size of one elenent of SFT? Because it different for
> each DOS version, I need universal method. (I have no book
> "Undocumented DOS", and cannot get it). Thank you.

> Bye.

Get size of SFT

Post by Alexander Kobe » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 01:43:47

Quote:> Had a quick look at Ralf Brown's Interupt List.

> When you know the Dos version you know the length of one element of the SFT.
> Right?

Left. That list have no info about DOS version 6.22 and higher. I want
get this size at runtime. How can I calculate SFT for FreeDOS? DR-DOS?
OpenDOS... :-)

To R.Wieser: Understand.

Bye.

Get size of SFT

Post by E.P. van Westendor » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 01:59:47

I don't think you can get the length of the SFT elements at runtime.
You will have to collect the length values for each flavour of DOS you
like your program to run in.

--

Eric P. van Westendorp  Tel: +31(0252)210579
Reigerslaan 22  2215NN Voorhout  Netherlands

>>Had a quick look at Ralf Brown's Interupt List.

>>When you know the Dos version you know the length of one element of the SFT.
>>Right?

> Left. That list have no info about DOS version 6.22 and higher. I want
> get this size at runtime. How can I calculate SFT for FreeDOS? DR-DOS?
> OpenDOS... :-)

> To R.Wieser: Understand.

> Bye.

Get size of SFT

Post by Wojciech Galazk » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 04:18:13

Alexander Kobets wrote in ..

Quote:>Hello!

>How can I get the size of one elenent of SFT? Because it different for
>each DOS version, I need universal method. (I have no book
>"Undocumented DOS", and cannot get it). Thank you.

As someone else pointed out you simply cannot calculate the size of an element of SFT at runtime. Different versions of DOS have different sizes of one SFT element and you have to hardcode all of them. I believe FreeDOS and OpenDOS try to be compatible with MS DOS  5.0 or 6.0 (the sizes of SFT elements are the same for these version I suppose) so sizes of SFT elements are the same like in MS DOS.

If you can afford this I highly advise you to read "Undocumented DOS"
You may also probably want to check dosemu and rxdos sources which are freely available

1. SHARE ERROR! SC:SFT NOT IN SFT list

We have a strange problem with a QuickBasic program. The program uses SHARE
to lock and unlock database files and randomly locks up with strange errors,
usually relating to share. The programmer has checked to make sure his
program is not "leaking" locks, but the problem persists. The software is
POS software with TSR's and 3 com ports being used, so the problem may be a
conflict somewhere.

What I would like to know is if anyone has ever seen the above error.

By the way the system is on a Lantastic network. All IRQ's, addresses, etc
are out of each others way. Any help would be appreciated.

I would appreciate an email as I usually hang out on the Windows forums.

Mark Dutton

2. Password issue....Locked out

3. Dualstore won't run on my box at work (QIC80 floppytape)

4. Share: Internal Error - FSC:SFT Not in SFT List

5. SYSOPR Messages

6. (DOS) Get size of SFT

7. Palm Pilot PPP to linux box

8. Getting a size unknown error w/dpmi.h struct

9. Getting directory sizes...

10. Getting the size of a particular directory ???

11. getting the size of .exe file

12. batct file creating under dos (windows NT ) getting file size